Does anyone have shoulder blade pain ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by my5kidsmom, Feb 12, 2006.

1. my5kidsmom

my5kidsmom New Member

This seems to be my largerst complaint thus far and I cannot do anything to relieve it ..Any suggesstions>? I have tried all of the OTC meds along with prescription, Massage, Chiropractic , I even put tennis and baseballs in my shoulder blade and lay on them to counteract with prssure.
    I am in such pain....

Thanks IN Advance
    Amy
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My pain is mostly in the shoulder blade area. Starts with stiffness. Unually I have "knots" and I have my husband rub them out.

You might think about your posture, sleeping position, etc.

I get most relief from rubs like Aspercream and using a heating pad. Also, a hot towel helps to loosen the spasms.

3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Amy....yes, everywhere around my shoulder blades, the points where they connect to muscles, etc., are knotted and very sore most all of the time. As the other responder said, my massage therapist works hard on those knots, and sometimes they are back very shortly after the massage is over...although they feel better while I'm on the table!

So here's my list of weapons:

1. Baclofen 10 mg up to 3X a day (its a muscle relaxer)

2. Topical pain relievers, like Fibromyalgia 024 or Tiger Balm (I can hardly bear the smell of Fibro 024 but it works on the pain...sometimes my husband wipes some of it off and applies a nice-smelling cream over it!)

3. My dear old heating pads...all 3 of them...

4. Thermacare pads (instant heating pads that you buy in the store...good for when you can't be at home)

5. And this really should be #1...exercise! I walk, work out on the elliptical at the gym or just do some good stretches...this really helps.

Best of luck to you...blessings, Ann
  4. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

But I can say I understand!
    I have had pain in my left shoulder blade for the last 18 years.
    I was told it was bursitus.
    I use heat, ice, Ibuprofen etc... anything I can figure out, my Dr. tells me, maybe one day, if it gets to bad, which it has.... btw...
    I might have to have it asperated sp? with a needle, the bursa sac....
    NOT! LOL yet anyway....
    Sometimes its calm, and sometimes it flares, and the pain is severe.
    I hope others can give you some insight,take care!
    ~Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2006]
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH SOUNDS I THINK IT IS POSTURE THAT STARTS IT.

SORRY YOU ARE HURTING TOO.

LOVE ANNE
  6. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My shoulders are always causing me problems. I've tried massage and pretty much everything I can think of. The tennis balls are a pretty good idea. At night when I take the Flexeril it does help somewhat. Stress really adds to my pain.
    Angela
  7. suave

suave New Member

I HAVE SHOULDER BLADE PAIN EVERYDAY. MY HUSBAND WILL MASSAGE SOME DAYS OR NIGHTS AND THAT ONLY HELPS FOR THE TIME BEING AND THEN ITS BACK. IT NEVER REALLY GOES AWAY JUST DIFFERENT DEGREES OF PAIN. I TAKE A PERCACET WHEN ITS REALLY BAD AND THE GOOD OLD HEATING PAD.
  8. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi Amy, I have shoulder blade pain everyday and also really terrible pain up from the shoulder blades into my neck. My doctor gave me trigger point injections which was the only thing that gave me relief for about a month to six weeks. I'm not sure exactly what's in the injections, he said a combination of muscle relaxers and pain killers. I think there were also some steroids in the shots. I've only had shots the one time, but will probably go back for another round in a few weeks. Couldn't believe how pain free I was after the shots - forgot what that felt like.

Also, I have an inversion table that helps a little. By going upside down, everything seems to loosen up a bit. Whereas I use it almost everyday, sometimes several times a day, the effects are temporary, but at least for a little while, the pain isn't as acute.

Last, I go to a body work/Reiki master healer about 2 to 4 times a month. She uses energy healing and deep tissue massage to push out the toxins stuck in the trigger point areas. She herself has FM so she really knows how to get the pain points to release and exit the body through the lymphatic system. And like everyone else, I also use a moist heating pad to help loosen muscles (dry heat makes muscles more tense). I hope some of this helps.

Cynthia
  9. fibrofirend44

fibrofirend44 New Member

Hello..I just finished 12 sessions of physical therapy for my left shoulder. they made me do different types of excercises to rotate the shoulder, use electricity and ultrasound technique, plus cold and heat pads...it helped some but the pain is back again. The guy told me it seems like there is nothing wrong with it, just weakness??? hmmmmmm. the pain is NOT weak.
    I avoid using the shoulder when it becomes painful and I do use my heating pad and percoset when I cannot take it any more. My heating pad is my best friend!! I also use ICY HOT sometimes and my husband also gives me massages which help soooooo much. My pain goes from my L-shoulder to the L-clavicle and sometimes to the frontal rib-cage...it is awful..but It is NOT going to take over my life....I am fighting it as we speak. I hope you get to feel better soon. There is always a better day, a better time coming our way. [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2006]
  10. IheartNY

IheartNY New Member

I have had it for 15 years...physical therapy does not help and neither does Darvocet...It's just something i "have to live with" according to my Dr...they have done every test they can and there is nothing they can find. sad.....
  11. pattigaul

pattigaul New Member

I went to every doctor and had MRIs and Cat scans and no one could tell me why my back hurt so much. Fatigue was also present. I am now on a lot of different medications for Fibromyalgia and the pain has spread to my entire body. I seem to ache everywhere now...I take hydrocono for pain, muscle relaxers, antidepressants that are suppose to help the pain and a new drug that is for neuropathy that makes me dizzy. I am not getting better and I struggle every day. My mother also has this disease and has struggled for 20 years with misdiagnoses and lots of medication. I would like to get off some of the meds but my pain so so severe, I am afraid to.
  12. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HI, YES I THINK WE ALL HAVE IT WITH FM. BUT SINCE I WENT TO THE COLD LAZER TREATMENT I HAVE NO PAIN IN MY SHOULDERS AT ALL. ALSO AM DOING ION TREATMENTS ON MY FEET AND AM FEELING LOTS BETTER PAIN WISE. I KNOW ONE GIRL COULDN'T EVEN LIFT HER ARMS OVER HER HEAD AND THE COLD LAZER HAS HER CLEANING HOUSES AND HOLDING DOWN A FULL TIME JOB. PLUS OTHER MIRACULOUS THINGS I'VE HEARD OF THAT ARE HAPPENING WITH IT. SOME IT WORKS ON AND SOME NOT BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST 4 TREATMENTS BEFORE YOU NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. BUT MY SHOULDERS WERE BETTER IN ONE SESSION. HOPE THIS HELPS. HUGS, VERTIE
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  13. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Make sure your doctor is aware of this pain. I find that on occassions I have to take Flexirl, a muscle relaxant when I go to bed. Also keep in mind the arms should stay down. It's when I reach or try and use my arms above my head (hanging up clothes, etc) that I get in trouble with my shoulders. At one point, my right one actually dislocated. I'd raise my arm and the pain would make me fall to the ground. If it is that bad, call the doctor.
    H