Does anyone have "surprising" anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, May 19, 2006.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    Lately I've been having what I call "surprising" anxiety. That is, I'll be resting, or reading, and very calm and peaceful, when, all of a sudden, I get feelings of anxiety. These are like a nervous stomach, like I used to get before a piano recital. This usually happens when I have no really big problem going on in my life, and would logically be quite happy and calm.

Is this Fibro? Does anyone have the same thing? I surely would like to understand it.

Thanks,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2006]
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Bumping for an answer. :)
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

What do you do when the anxiety comes on? Do you get up and pace, etc.?

Yes I do get anxiety at strange times and I am wondering how others react when it comes on.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i strted taking it in mid april...it helps w/anxirty , muscle spasms and pain for me.. and i get some sleep...

.5 mgs at night..it doesn need to be prescribed..

jodie
  5. kalina

kalina New Member

Early in my illness I had this problem often -- not so much anymore. The feeling of anxiety used to wake me out of a sound sleep, and would occur out of the blue when I was resting.

I even had a doctor dismiss my CFS/FM as anxiety, even though my "attacks" never seemed to be caused by worry.

It was more of a physical feeling in my chest that FELT like anxiety (rather than an emotional feeling). I later learned that this can be caused by the adrenals working overtime.

Kalina
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I hate to say it, but this is more common with CFS and the up-regulated autonomic nervous system that can go with it.

Long before I had any idea that I had CFS, the MDs were trying to tell me that I was just depressed. I told the psychologist that I thought it more likely an anxiety issue. I would get low-level, nagging anxiety "spells" about nothing in particular.

But he knew nothing about CFS and I didn't fit any of the recognised anxiety disorders and ADs were/are the medical professions favorite toys, so ...
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

for your responses. It helps to have some idea what it might be.

PVLADY -When I get these feelings, I usually distract myself by playing a game like Solitaire. Sometimes I take some "Rescue Remedy", a flower essence formula that is calming.

Hugs to all,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2006]
  8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, hope you get it stopped soon. I think fish oil pills may help, but they are bad when you belch the taste is aweful!lol I take two Ultra EPA 2 or 3 times a week and it helps me with many things like the clicking in my ears, depression ect.
    Dee50
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have this but I take Zoloft and it has helped me alot.Mine comes in the form of a unknown fear.I have a fairly simple life and one would think there was nothing in my life to cause these feelings .What I understand is that it is caused by a hormonal imbalance .Nothing around me causes this ,it just happens cause my body has a chemical unbalance.
    you should talk to your doctor and get help early ,so it doesn't turn into something you can't handle mentally .That's what happen to me and it's been a long hard road back to being myself.I have both CFS/FM
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I get this way too. I've told my husband that I think my body gets anxiety even though my mind is calm.

However once the anxiety comes on my mind begins to race wondering what I might be stressed about and then all of me gets stressed!

I think it's interesting that the adrenals might be at play as I'm already thinking the rest of my symptoms are related to an adrenal problem.

We're just a mess aren't we!

Sofi
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I have been known to wake up from a sound sleep in the middle of the night with a full blown panic attack.

I also get this feeling of "impending doom" that lasts for awhile.

None of this is fun.
    Tigger
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Although I have CFS, not FM.

It's called "free-floating anxiety" and appears out of nowhere.

Hugs,
    Marta
  13. gumama

gumama New Member

I can relate to all of you..... I do know that my diet has a lot to do with some of this... Chocolate. ( sigh)is one of my triggers.

I have had my Mother for 16 months, I also take care of my Husband who has Lupus, Fibro and diabetes.. I had the full care of them. my Husband has been sick for 12 yrs...

I just placed my Mom in a nursing home, because I could no longer physically take care of her because of her physical condition. neuropathy in her legs, weak condition because of Osteo etc..

Its been an up and down situation with my Mom for the last month, and I am TOTALLY Drained.. I've been told by my Dr that it will take me at least a year to recover, I have no Adrenals left for my body to work with.

My Fatigue is beyond anything I've had in the past... the Anxiety is all part of this for me. I can be calm as can be and WHAM. I also have the impending doom feeling. the sad part about that is. its been a precurser to somethings happening, like someone being hurt or dying... so when I get those feelings, its not a fun thing...

hope this helps you.. there are a lot of us that go through this.

gumama
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had horrible anxiety/panic attacks and the Klonopin helped with them. It also helped with insomnia, tinnitus, muscle spasms, pain, and sensory overload.

I have improved to the point that I am trying to wean off of it very slowly now. If I can't, I'll assume I still need it.

Love, Mikie
  15. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

for your responses and helpful hnts. I guess this is just another thing that comes with Fibro. I really appreciate the good ideas.

Hugs,
    Terry
  16. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I was just going to post a "winer" when I saw your post.

I had this very feeling for the past week, and it's driving me bonkers! Sort of like impending doom here too.

Sometimes I DO have something to worry about, and then it seems the feeling gets a really good grip on me, even if I try to pet myself on the head,,,LOL!

I hope this spell passes soon, it makes me edgy after a while.

Peace to us all! I believe it's adrenal fatigue, too, I am going to research about it today (to keep myself busy).
  17. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I was just put back on klonopin and had my seroquel upped from 300mg to 600mg.

My attacks usually come at night. I would suddenly start thinking about death...losing my father, and then losing my son. I would just feel so out of control.

The meds are helping, and hubby is wonderful to just sit and let me talk about it. No problem solving...he justs lets me talk.

I think it's getting under control...whatever that is...and I'm starting to feel better.

God Bless.
  18. knitfan

knitfan New Member

I have had some of the worst anxiety of my life since 6 months ago. I was treated successfully at the end of 2004 and then this past November, wham! It started after a trip to the dentist and hasn't let up much since. I was attributing all of it to either totally anxiety disorder or hormone imbalance due to me being 51, but I am now slowly realizing that I have also been having fibromyalgia symptoms daily and thinking it was pain from anxiety. I was diagnosed with fibro three years ago and was quite bad, then I did massage therapy and acupuncture and it was much better until now. I feel much of the time as if I have been run over by something in the chest/stomach area along with the neck/leg pain I had before. Is the chest/stomach area a weird place to think it would be fibro? It has gone on for months. I had a physical in January this year and everything including ekg came back normal. Like I mentioned, I thought it was all due to anxiety but now I think it really is a combination of things.
    Any thoughts?