Does anyone have symptoms on one side only?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Misdiagnosed, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi there

I'm still unsure if I have fibromyalgia or not as most of my symptoms are all on the right side of my body. If it's a systemic illness wouldn't it be on both sides?

But because my spine on the right side is cramped a lot of the time, it does tend to implicate the left side at times. eg, when I get neck spasms and chest and throat muscle lock. Otherwise everything happens on the right. I went through a severe emotional trauma that caused my right groin to spasm and ever since my problems have been getting worse. Prior to that I was constipated and had a pulling sensation in the upper right quadrant near my ribs.

I'm still hopeful it's a skeletal problem originating in the iliopsaos muscle which seems to be jammed. But I did have a dry throat and poor B12 and folic absorption problems prior to the severe spasm.

any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    Gill
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I don't know much about rib pain, etc. But I get most of my pain on the left side of my body. I don't know if you have to have pain on both sides - I know there are 18 tender points and that's how they diagnose you. What sort of doctor did you go to? I was diagnosed after I woke up one morning with SEVERE pain in my left groin area. I thought my ovary was bursting! I went to my GYN and he did an ultrasound. My ovary was fine. So I went to my family doctor who sent me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with FMS. Maybe someone else here can give you some advice. Good luck!!!!!!

Annette2 :)
  3. theimpossibleflute

theimpossibleflute New Member

I was going back through the FMS notebook I keep; I write down all my main symptoms and compare them to what I find in my own research. I realized that more than once I noted that there was pain on only one side of the body most of the time as compared to pain on both sides at the same time. I too was skeptical about the whole thing, but figured, hey, with this DD, anything goes!!!

I do hope your dx is not fibro...wouldn't wish this on anyone!! Good luck and God bless.

Abby
  4. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

you must have 11 out of 18 tender points and pain in all four quadrants of the body. However, that being said, I have most of my pain on my right side. I do have pain in all four quadrants but most of it is right sided.
    Brenda
  5. dlizard

dlizard New Member

that is with the pain thing,,, but since you brought up the folate and b vitamin problems.... I have a pain that I get prior to any of those malabsorption issues... and I've been having it lately.It however is not on my right side all the time... it is however the "same pain" that I have had frequently there... I personally have most of my difficulties on the right side including tearing my right gastroc in 2000.... thankfully I am just recently about over that. I can walk better and am not having terrible spasms... :)) its nice to get over something!!!!! Good luck!
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Not sure if I have FM or MPS or both. I'm tender in the FM points, but also have pain in so many other areas that is common with MPS. Yes, I get most of my pain in the right side lately, although sometimes pain shifts from place to place. I have a right groin ache that comes and goes--it's so annoying and rib pain almost consistantly--it's chronic. Just having a BM in the morning sometimes gets the abdominal muscles in a spasm. I don't understand this DD very well, and get obsessesed with all my aches and pains. Went running to the dr too many times to find out test results are normal. It's a very frustrating syndrome.
    Tania
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

All most all my pain has always been on my right side. On
    the left side, I barely have any pain. I do have tender-
    points on both side though. I`ve had this over 15 years
    and Its been confermed by at least 7 doctors that I have
    it. So, yes you can have pain on just one side and have
    fm.
  8. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I have been diagnosed with Fibro for about a year now.
    The Rheumy who diag. me said I have ALL 18 of the trigger points.
    I also have had the right-sided Rib pain now for about the last Ten years. Still do not know what it is caused from.
    They call it "Muscle-Spasms" and just give me muscle relaxants. I've had x-rays, ultra sounds,and upper and lower G.I's. The only thing they have found so far is a "GERD" and "Osteo-Arthritis" of the spine.
    I'm still trying to figure out if any of this causes it or if it is just one of many Fibro symptoms.
    I do know that certain "Movements" can bring it on.
    Sometimes it's as simple as just turning over in bed.
    We are all still trying to figure this DD.....

LOVE,
    HOB

9. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

When my FM symptoms first appeared the pain was all on my right side. That lasted the first 2 or 3 yrs then it spread all over.
  10. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi again everyone

Thanks so much for your support and feedback.

Went this afternoon to a myotherapist and I feel very different. She worked all the little knotty grisly bits down the centre of my belly, in my right groin and by my right ribs and a little bit in my right shoulder and neck. I feel significantly better - she warned me it may not but she believes 3 months therapy will clear my system of these grisly pockets that are holding my muscles in traction. She admitted that I was comoletely jammed up everywhere. She recommended daily meditation gentle walking, hots baths with Lectric soda or Epsom salts (making sure to drink plent of water both before and after), and gentle stretching using one of thos big balls.

No other body therapist has even found these grisly knotted areas, despite me mentioning the symptoms in those places. She really paid close attention to what I said and took lots of time to feel deeply for knotted bits.

I must say I'm very hopeful.
  11. Sonnet

Sonnet New Member

Hi All,

Yep, I was hit on the left side mainly for the first yr - and me being the nosey little bugger I am and trying to play doctor (because the real ones were not giving me any answers to why I felt like I was dying) I thought I had either Sjrogens or Lupus (can't remeber now but one of thier diagnostic criteria relies on one sided body pain). But low and behold, my Fibro was getting bored on the left side and thought it would go for a play over to my right side after that. So I have pain all over now which makes me feel extra special.

By The way, this forum is great. When i log on, I always read something that has happened to me and in a way this makes me feel better as I sometimes doubt wheter there is something more wrong.... not likely I think when I visit here - yep little Fibro me!!!

Good Luck and try to relax. Don't fight it just let it take it's course and this may increase in ongoing recovery.

Sonnet
  12. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Are they affiliated with Physical Therapy, Chiropractor, massage therapy or alternative medicine?
    Thanks
    Tania
  13. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi Tania

I live in Australia and they're listed in the Yellow Pages as the Institute of Myotherapists - listed under Massage. I would call them alternative practitioners.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Gill