Does Anyone Have Their Days and Nights Mixed Up??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 18, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

My hubby kids me that I have my days and nights mixed up lately! And ... I think I do!!

For example: night before last, I went to bed at 2:30 am and did not go to sleep right away, so it was probably 3:30 a.m. before I was asleep. (I was up that late on this board!!)

Then, while hubby was getting ready for work, it woke me up and I got up at 7:00 am, drank a couple cups of coffee, and caught up on a couple TV shows that I had recorded on TiVo, then went back to bed around 9:30 a.m. and did not get up until 2:00 p.m.

When I first get up, I can not walk or do anything but sit for a few hours because of this pinched nerve in my back--the pain is so horrible in my hip, leg, and foot.

So, it was about 5:30 pm before I could do anything, which was to start supper (like putting potatoes in the oven to bake!).

This completely ruins my days!! I can't do anything because by the time I get up and feel like moving, it's evening!! Then my husband goes to bed at 7:30 pm, so I have to be fairly quiet the rest of the evening--so I watch TV until around 10 pm, then get on the computer again!!

I have been doing this for a few months now. I have no time to try to clean or anything! If I have a doctor appt., I set my alarm and get up to get ready and sometimes when I get home, I'm so bad off that I have to lay down, then I go to sleep again, get up and stay on computer until wee hours in a.m., etc.

Anyone else have their days and nights mixed up!!
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I sometimes get this way myself and will try to get myself back on schedule.

What happens with me though is Insomnia...Alot of nights I just lay there and lay there not being able to go to sleep until 2 or 3 am in the morning. Then when I do fall asleep, I tend to sleep late. Im like you when I do wake up, I can not just jump right out of bed, so I usually have to lay there for at least an hour or two...by then my day is gone.

I may be like this for several days, then I may have to just make myself get on up when my hubby leaves for work even if I have only had a few hours sleep and try not to sleep any during that day, then usually that night I will sleep better and get back on schedule.

When you get up for your coffee you may want to try to push yourself to stay on up during the day...So maybe by late that evening you will be ready for a good sleep and get back on schedule...Worth a try anyway!!

Hugs
    Bluerose

P.S. As 2painful said, I too seem to do better in the late afternoon. Im just not a Morning person, well I use to be, now it just takes me so long to get going in the mornings or whenever I first wake up!

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Janet,
    I could have written your post almost. I have been up lately until 2 or 3 AM, then go to bed and don't get up until around 11:40 AM.

But I don't have the illnesses you have and get up and wash up and then watch a tape of my soap from the day before.

Then I'm up until sometimes after dinner, around 8 if nothing is on TV I want to see, I may take a nap for a few hours. Some times I go to bed at 10 PM, when hubby does and sometimes I go to bed around 1 or 2 AM.

I don't know if you would say I have my days and nights mixed up, but I do sleep much better after 5 AM, once hubby gets up and leaves for work.

After dinner is a bad time for me and I get tired from some meds I have to take. That is why sometimes I go to bed at 10, or sometimes stay up. If I stay up, I feel sleep deprived the next day, though.

Do you think the diabetes has anything to do with this or is it just the FM?

Can't drink coffee due to the gastroparesis. I drink caffeinated diet drinks.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I am just now starting to get everything cranking today... and it is 3pm.

I have always said I am a 25 hour a day person living on a 24 hour clock....

so for half the month I seem like a normal person but half the month I am on the opposite track and like you am up til 2 am and then up again at 7 am only to take nap from 11 to 2pm.... horrible way to have to live.

I read somewhere that our circadium rhythm is usually set more along the lines of 25 to 27 hour cycles.... we are forced by the world into this 24 hour cycle and it kills us.

When I was younger and working I would get in bed later and later each night but because of my job would be out of bed with the alarm by 6 am.... by friday I would only get 4 hours of sleep and then saturday I would crash and burn...sleep until 2pm catching up and then bam ... Monday would show up again! I was stealing another hour each night and by friday I was indebt to my sleep by as much as 12 or more hours.

I think I would be best just cycling in and out of the normal living world....keeping my own hours and sleeping when I needed to and being up when I didn't need anymore sleep.... but somebody in family has to exist out there in this 9 to 5 workforce in order for us to eat... and I feel guilty staying up all hours of the night while hubby sleeps so he can drag himself up at 6 am for the real world.

Maybe we need to lobby for a 25 hour day???

5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i'm up too and i've seen you posting like me as well in the wee hours.

well since last wekk my sleep pattern is even more confusing since my son crushed his finger and had surgery on monday. i've been up until after 6 am, monday,tuesday 5:30 am. i woke up at 1 pm today. and now my son's schedule is is a ll goofed up cause, of his surgery time was finally taken uin at 5 pm.

and i have friend that is 67 years, well she has been making condescending comments, like you going to sleep our life away and i tell i wished i could. and she has said she would've shot herslef by now.

well she does still work three nights a week at a resturant so she gets home about 1 am or later then she wakes up a 6-7 am.

good for her.

well jlh you not the only one.

jodie
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm glad that there are more people out there like me!

I haven't been in this crazy sleep pattern forever, and I have tried getting up early (when my hubby leaves for work) and staying up. I can rough it for the first day, but then they second day, it really starts bothering me.

When we recently had the deaths in the family, I had to get up early -- but still didn't go to bed until late. For about a week, I had such loud noises in my head and ears, that I could not hear people talk!

I know I'm not crazy!!! Has anyone else had this problem, just due to lack of sleep? I feel like I have two huge fans on extra-high buzzing in my ears -- or maybe it sounds like motors running at high speed. Sound familiar to anyone?

After retirement, it did take me some time to figure out that I feel the best if I can get at least 10 hours sleep per day. I haven't had any problem for the last few years, until now. I used to go to bed at 12 midnight and get up at 10:00 am, or I might stretch it from 1 am - 11 am.

My hubby still fussed on me. He also thinks I should go to bed earlier and then be able to get up earlier. Well, to get my 10 hours sleep, I would have to go to bed at 8 pm to get up at 6 am with him!! YUCK!!!!

For 30 years, I got up at 4:30 a.m., got ready and drove 1 hr. 15 min. to work. I worked 10+ hrs., then had to drive another 1 hr. 15 min. home. It sucked! That's why I had to take early retirement--could physically make it any longer.

So .... I told him MY sleeping schedule is up to nobody but me!!! I am a rotten housewife (never been a housewife--always been a "worker"--like him!!!) and I do not get up to fix his breakfast. He never fixed mine when I worked, and he got to sleep in until 6 am!

However, I would like to get it back to "my" normal! But I much rather be up at night--the TV shows are better, it's a good time to be on the computer, etc. -- and I just can not function the first half of the day after I get up.

7. JLH

JLH New Member

I just thought I would break this up into 2 replies so it didn't look soooooooooo long! DUH!

I just wanted to add one point. My husband has just a crazy sleep pattern as I do!! All our kids are adults and gone now.

So, he goes to bed at 7:00-7:30 pm. He says that he is just so mentally and physically drained that he can't make it up any longer. (He gets home from work at 4:15 pm and has to do a little farming each evening--feed cattle, etc.)
    He just turned 60, so he's not quite a spring chicken any longer! He has only been to a doctor TWICE in the 35 years that we have been married! So, I worry about many hidden health problems--especially since he smokes a pack a day.

Anyway .... he gets up at around 2:00 am, drinks a pot of regular coffee (I must drink decaf due to heart prob.), smokes a few cigs., and watches him a movie. Then he goes back to bed at 4:00 am, and gets back up at 6 am.

He doesn't need to be to work until 8 am and it only takes him 10 mins. So a lot of mornings he drives around to the farms to check on them and the cattle, drives in town to get him a cappachino (? sp.), etc.

His time up in the middle of the night varies. Sometimes he just stays up all night and does not go back to bed.

Sometimes when I am going to bed at 2 am, he is just getting up!!!!

Our odd schedules do not bother us because we sleep in different bedrooms. Note: there are NO marital problems, it's just that he snores soooooo LOUD that I can't sleep in the same room! We also only have a double bed and he is 6'3"+ and I am only 5'4". He likes to sleep on the diagonal in the bed so his feet do not touch the footboard. This does not give me any room to sleep. Then he rolls over and over so he is totally wrapped up with all the covers! So, when I was working, I said I HAVE HAD IT!! NO MORE!! I HAVE TO GET UP AT 4:30 AM, .......

We have gotten used to the arrangements now, and we both "supposedly" get a good night's sleep!! We have plenty of empty bedrooms since all the kids left--may as well take advantage of them! (He was in the guest room when they were all home, too!)

He's not mentioned my computer keeping him awake. It is in the room on the other side of his bedroom--my girls' old bedroom.

Well, must go if I am going to read any other posts tonight--it already close to midnight here!!

Take care all,
    Janet
  8. zuzu2

zuzu2 New Member

Hi,
    i have the same problem. im 49, disabled, live with my mom who is going on 84. i starting living with my parents when i was 44 and had gotten sick the year before . I moved in with her and helped her take care of my dad (at home)until he died of advanced alzheimers and parkinsons disease. she has always been an early bird, getting up at 5-7 am and has the most energy in the morning. im the opposite. i feel absolutely HORRIBLE in the morning. even if i do get up at 10 am (like i did for a while to placate her)im a blob and cant do anything until late afternoon anyway. when i got an older computer, the only choice for me was dial-up and i didnt want to have to pay for another phone line so i wait until 8-9 pm and then hook in. the computer is slow so im online until 3-4 am. before i got the computer i went to bed at 2 am. its hard b/c everyone looks at it as a sign of...laziness?? like im somehow immoral because im a nite owl. the trouble occurs when i have doctors appointments or i take my mom to her doctors appointments. i try to get 1 of the later afternoon appointments, but alot of times thats at 1 pm, thats the latest appointment. luckily the food stores stay open until 8 or 9 pm so i go food shopping around 6 pm. my siblings always lecture me or tsk..tsk me about staying up late. also, i feel SO MUCH BETTER AND MY MIND IS SHARPER late at nite into the early morning so why should i change? PS for all my life i either had to be at work at 7 am or 9 am, so, yes for years i did it. zuzu
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
  9. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Problems with sleeping aren't uncommon in people with FMS.

Some research has found that FMS patients fall asleep, but their deep level (or “stage 4”) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of “awake-like” brain activity. The alterations in the neurotransmitter regulation (particularly serotonin and norepinephrine, and substance P) cause problems with sleep, pain and immune system function. So, your physician may prescribe medicines that boost levels of those neurotransmitters. The types of medicines that help with neurotransmission include some antidepressants, and some anti-seizure drugs. (They are not necessarily given because doctors think that FMS people have “mental health” problems. The drugs act in a very real way to slow down the brain activity and help us get some good sleep.

Some of the drugs that help include: Elavil, Flexeril, Sinequan, Paxil, Serzone, Xanax and Klonopin. Also, anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen may help, as might PT, acupuncture, relaxation techniques, osteopathic manipulation, chiropractic care, therapeutic massage, or mild/gentle exercise. FMS people may also have a sleep disorder called the “alpha-EEG anomaly,” or possibly other sleep disorders, such as “sleep myoclonus” or “PLMS” (nighttime jerking of the arms and legs), “restless leg syndrome” and “bruxism” (teeth grinding).

I think that the more we learn about the possible causes of and treatments for FMS and how the treatments relate to the studies about the causes, etc., the better choices we are able to make about what to try. That is what is so great about the boards. People are posting what helps or doesn’t help them.
  10. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I've been on another insomnia binge for the past 2 weeks. I find it doesn't matter what I do! So I'm just going with the flow (I had to leave my job in January for medical reasons, so thankfully I don't have to get up at 6:15 and trek on the bus for an hour like I used to!)

It's 2:20 am and I'm bright eyed but not bushy-tailed. Can't get into a good sleep rhythm right now. Lots of stress here as usual, and have been in a flare for the past 2 months, so that would explain it, I guess.

Time to put the kettle on for some chamomile tea -- cheers, nature
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

It's 1:00 a.m. again .... and I'm here typing away!!!

I'm not a bit sleepy, but by back is absolutely killing me, so I'm going to have to shut this baby down and go to bed!!

As I've told everyone, I have this pinched nerve in my back and I got an appt. with a chiropractor today. OMG, did he about kill me!!!!!!!!!!!

I was on this roller bed that was stretching the muscles in my back for 10 min. It was extremely painful in the beginning, then it started to help right about the time it shut off! But I could not sit up off that flat table! The doc had to help me up, then the pain was so bad that I just had to sit there, with a couple tears flowing out my eyes. I hope the doc didn't see them. Had to wait about 10 min. before I could even walk into the other room for a different treatment.

Then the doc did some manipulation and more hands-on stretching of the muscles on my back.

He seemed to think that in 5 or 6 treatments that he might be able to get the nerve "unpinched". It's pinched between L4 and L5.

By the time that I got out of there, I was barely walking. I had driven myself, so when I got to my car, the tears were flowing more and I had to sit in my car 45 min. before I was able to drive home. The nerve affects my right leg and foot -- my driving leg, of course!

When I finally got home, I plopped by purse on the kitchen table, took a Lortab, and sat down in the recliner with my feet propped up until I came to the computer!

So, it's time for another pain pill .... cause I can't sit here any longer!!!!! LOL

P.S. By the time I take my "bedtime" meds, get my teeth brushed, jammies on, etc. it will be 2:00 am before I get to bed!!!

Take care,
    Janet
    When I came off that
  12. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

For at least 2 years now I haven't been able to sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. If I take something--PM stuff, Klonapin, Benedryl, melatonin--I sleep for 4 hours. I usually give up about 3AM and make coffee and start my day. If I get anything done in a day, it's usually while I'm under the spell of coffee. Naps start around 10AM and I usually have 2 or 3 during the day. Needless to say, the house is a wreck. I'm thinking of poking my eyes out so I won't have to look at it.

Janet, about your pinched nerve, have you had an MRI? I'm asking because I had that same pain--sciatica generated from the same place as yours. I found out that what was pinching the nerve was a cyst. Apparently the arthritis weeps a fluid that is contained in a little sac. Sometimes it turns hard and raises havoc with the sciatic nerve. Cortisone shots in the nerve root helped and time. I'm just wondering if the chiropractor is treating the right thing?

Francie
  13. auntcon

auntcon New Member

and school is starting next week YUK

My hubby works nights and that helps because we can both sleep during the day -- if I need to.

Last two weeks I "slept" (never reaching deep sleep) at least 18 hrs a day!!! Was so drowsey that I couldn't talk read watch tv etc. very depressing. not much of a life.

but my husband takes up the slack. that is a real blessing

i try to take meds to sleep but get used to them. try something else for a while then change again.

YUK

longing for just 4-6 deep sleep hrs... how much better I'd feel...

14. tansy

tansy New Member

is not uncommon in these DDs, often am cortisol levels are too low, then too high later in the day. A 24 hour saliva test for cortisol and DHEA levels can be very helpful in identifying this.

I learned not do do mornings if I could possibly avoid it. Going against this would result in not only feeling the bad effects of trying to do things which required higher am cortisol levels (my DHEA is low at 8.am too) but leave me feeling wiped out later on. Even though I have made progress recently this problem has yet to right itself, after a few failed attempts to correct it, I have decided to adapt my life around it for now.

I am sure our poor sleep quality does not help, and if cortisol levels go too high later in the day, this will adversely affect our sleep.

Over the years many of us find going with the flow works best. I can be more physically and mentally active a little earlier on my good days.

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2005]
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

About my pinched nerve .... I can't have an MRI because I have a pacemaker.

I have had CT scans, but the scans would be better if I could take the dye with it; however, I am allergic to the dye!!! So, I had the CT scans without the contrast.

I wonder if they would have shown a cyst like you are talking about?

I go to the Chiropractor again on Monday, should I ask him?

Thanks for this info. I have never heard of it.

I'll ask my daughter, too. She is a family practice physician.

thanks again,
    Janet
  16. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

How nice to have a doctor in your family!

I don't know if a cyst would show up on the CAT or not. The doctor that did the MRI and the shot in my nerve root showed me what it looked like, but I didn't really see it, since they had me leave my glasses locked in the locker. Just pretended that I could see it to be nice.

Sure, you might mention it to the chiropractor. It might not make a difference in the treatment plan, but it can't hurt anything. Do you ever take a pain pill before you go there? I'm thinking of doing that before I go to PT next week.

One thing about the cyst is that if it gets removed surgically, the odds are good for it coming back. A friend of mine has had that surgery twice. A real money maker for her surgeon.

Good luck with all that!

Francie
  17. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

anytime there is a moon rising and especially when it is FULL, I can't sleep!! It doesn't mattter how dark a room may be, I think it is an energy thing: my astrological sign of cancer the crab; with the water and moon sign. I am in completely AWWWWWWWWWWWww when I am at the ocean on a full moon. I feel so free, like I could stay there all night, on the beach and feel safe and won't have a care in the world!

I have been keeping track when I REALLY can't sleep and it is ALWAYS when there is almost a full moon or a full moon. That is how the moon has been lately!

The Santa Monica Mountains are right behind us, and you can see them lite up from our master balcony when there is a full moon. I will take a pic of it when it wakes me up next time and put it in my profile :) I LOVE the moon! Sometimes about it. My little son likes it too, and EVERY night, we have to go outside and say goodnite to it and the stars :) I don't care how much pain I am in, I take him out there.
    The moon is a powerful force :) Hope you are having a good weekend and getting SOME rest :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2005]
  18. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My husband's work week begins on Wednesdays and he works 7 days from 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Then he's off for 7 days.

At the end of the 7 days off (it's Wednesday again), he goes to work at 6:00 P.M. - 6:00 a.m.!!! Then, he's off for 7 days.

After that it's back to 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., etc.

On day shift, he goes to bed at 8:00 p.m. and gets up at 5:00 a.m.

On the weeks off, we get up around 7:00 and go to bed around 11:00.

When he's on night shift, he gets home around 6:30 in the morning and goes to bed by 6:45. He sleeps 'till 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.!!

He's been doing this for 17 years and I still have problems working around it. I've been taking Xyrem for almost 2 years now, and it's really a challenge to get through all of this!!

abbylee PS - I forgot to say that I work from 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (from home) and Thursday nights from 9:00 - 11:00 (from home). No wonder I stay confused.

19. cbella

cbella New Member

my dr. told me my circadium cycle is upside down and he said to take large doses of melatonin at night to fix it. I guess most of us are like that. good luck!
  20. TNUtammy

TNUtammy New Member

I used to really have my days and nights mixed up, going to bed at 2 or 3 am and getting up after noon the next day. Like several who have posted, mine was due to insomnia a lot of the time too. One thing that really helped me was when my doctor prescribed ambien to help me sleep...I worked my way back into a schedule of going to bed between 9 and 11 pm and getting up between 8 and 10 am the next morning. Sure, its a pain to go to bed so early (especially still being in my early 20's), but I just cant function on less than 10-12 hours of sleep with my CFS.

Seriously, you might wanna ask about trying Ambien. I'd tried other meds to help me sleep that just didnt work, but this stuff helps so much.