Does anyone have thyroid problems and fms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PRC, Nov 5, 2008.

1. PRC

PRC New Member

My dr. says I have hypothyroidism. I didn't know if it was part of this disease or not. So many things are connected to this disease. Thanks for any answers you can give me.
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I was diagnosed with hypothryoidism after I was diagnosed with FM. My FM seems to have been started by a virus. My Dr feels that the same virus also attacked my thyroid.

There is a family history on my mother's side of thyroid issues, so I'm not sure if it could be just genetics. Other than weight gain, fatigue, dry skin and facial swelling, I really didn't notice any other symptoms. All that's gone with the synthroid treatment, however, the fibro just seems to get worse and worse as the years go by.

3. hensue

hensue New Member

They always check my thryoid tsh he says theirs is sensitive i dont think so though.It is always normal which i dont even know what is normal.Back to my brother, i forgot what the number was it was low then he went back in six weeks and it was low again.
    Now they have started him on synthroid. i told him to look at stop the madness site.
    One of his ankles was swelling now he tells me they both are. he is taking a low dose of synthroid.
    He cannot lose weight he never sits. he is up and doing something all the time. His wife says he should be dropping the weight. This has rocked on his tsh up and down for about 2 years.
    He has a lot of depression and anxiety. Which our mother died three years ago. i did not realize the anxiety he expeirences though. He is very healthy only certain foods. He cooks no reg potato only sweet potato. takes a lot of supplements to.
    He cannot get in to a internist till next year. This swelling is very apparent.
    Just throwing it out there to see what you think.
    If you read the symptoms of hypothyroidism it mimics fibro to me. Then again i may be wrong
    hensue wondering if he might be taking something that interferes with his thryoid supplement?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2008]
  4. hensue

hensue New Member

I was diagnosed by an alternative doc he said it was thyroid. Tried to take armour and i would have a what i call a flare hurt all over, bladder spasms everything hurt. So i dont know if it interfered with my meds. Or does the armour have to build up?
    dry skin
    joint aches
    all of it
  5. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

had a slow growing almost un-noticable growth by thyroid for about 15 years. But all thyroid tests were normal. About 6 months before onset of CFS, the nodule started growing rapidly and I started getting weird symptoms, but levels were still normal. I had thyroid and growth partially removed in Dec. of 2000 and tested for cancer...after a week of waiting for test results after doc said it "looked" like a cancerous growth, we were told it was benign. 2 months later got the "flu" that put me down for the past 8 years. My levels have been up and down and have had some hypothyroid tendency, but have only taken the lowest dose of thyroid replacement at some times during these years. So many people believe there is a correlation, but then again it seems like almost ALL of our systems are so affected. It's hard to pull out any one system that puts you out of whack. It is hard for ME to not see a relation just because all the symptoms and rapid growth of nodule all happened within a few months of the "CRASH". If you look at all the symptoms of thyroid disorder you will see that many are the same for our disease.
    I have my thryroid checked every 6 months, more if I am feeling more symptomatic. Usually, even if slightly elevated (I believe for hypothyroidism our lab states a level over 4.68 is abnormal, but labs differ across the US) my doc doesn't believe in tx. I have learned to push for this though, as I find a level of about 2.0 makes me FEEL less syptomatic. You can learn a lot online about the discrepancies of thryroid disorders and tx and how medical testing and diagnosis has changed over just the past 20-25 years with thryoid disease.
    My mother-in-law has insisted for years that this is my (only) problem, because she also had issues with this and had a complete removal of thryroid over 20 years ago and of course was then put on daily replacement.
    I really appreciate the thread on what to tell others about this disease because so many family and friends just want to explain it away or blame it on a select few medical problems such as thyroid disease. They just dont understand how it affects EVERY system. They can not imagine FEELING like you have more than a handful of different diseases at the same time. And maybe we do....