Does Anyone Have Trouble Swallowing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

For the past few months, I've noticed that I have a very difficult time swallowing especially when I first wake up and take a drink of water. It is very painful and it takes a long time for me to swallow the water.

Just wondered if anyone else has thie problem.

Lolalee
  2. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I have a lot of trouble swallowing.....in fact I have made a few posts on this board about a few scares wher I almost had to call 911!

When I eat sometimes my throat closes up and my air way is restricted to the point that is is hard to get in or out air!

I have a Dr appt next week and I guess I have to fess up on how bad this is getting...'ughhhh" another drop in the bucket of dd! LOL

XO
    Doxy

ps I hope you at least feel better knowing your not alone:)
  3. gingercat77

gingercat77 New Member

sometimes I get strange throat spasms where my throat closes over, a bit scary!!
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Interesting.... I wonder if it has anything to do with the DD?

Marta
  5. IMHOT

IMHOT New Member

Lola
    I most definitely have trouble swallowing but not all the time. I blame it on allergies, acid reflux, viruses yada yada yada but then there are times I cannot link it to anything. Also they can stretch our throat or esophagus to help food go down better . I have never done this but my brother in law has. It still remains a mystery to me but then most of these random syptoms do. Some day we will get answers and then we all can have one big party!
    imhot +_+
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2006]
  6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

This is mentioned on the Lyme board sometimes.....
  7. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

hmm. I have a problem with something strange. It's like i won't even be swallowing then i'm choking and coughing on my own saliva.. It happens a lot.
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks to all of you. Mine seems a bit scary, too. I remember when my MIL was alive and we would go out to eat. She always had the hardest time getting the food down, especially bread. She had a Hiatal Hernia. IMHOT mentioned stretching and my MIL had this done a couple of times. It works but only lasts for a while

With me, it's mostly when I first wake up and once in a while during the day. It can be really painful to just swallow a pill with water. It's interesting to see that many of us have the same or similar problem.

Lolalee
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It was one of my first symptoms. I was told I had acid reflux and a small hiatal hernia. They stretched my throat and it did not help.

It lasted for 18 months and vanished for a few months. It's back again. It takes me forever to eat and afterwards I feel sick. Water at times feels like someone has hit me in the throat.

I also have dry eyes and many times dry mouth. It could be from an insufficient amount of saliva.

I do not want to go because I didn't get relief before but I need to go back to the doctor.

I've been told that this is not uncommon with people with our problems.
  10. I have had a weird thing happen, where I go to swallow and get like painful muscle spasms in my throat that last too long and scares the heck out of me. Fortuanately , knock wood, it doesn't happen often.
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes I do have troube lolalee and it drives me nuts. Lettuce is horrible to swallow, and I have to cut spaghetti into little tiny pieces and drink loads of water.

Love Anne Cromwell
  12. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

You've hit on just one of the many parts of the d'd. Out of nowhere, for no particular discernable reason, it can become impossible to swallow.
    I've even had WATER get stuck, and it hurts!!
    According to internet info, it's a failure of peristaltic system.
    Wonderful. Like we didn't already have enough to deal with.
    Lea.
  13. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

bump for more replies
  14. colaloulou

colaloulou New Member

i am so glad to see i am not crazy, i have been telling my doctor for years about my trouble swalllowing. he tells me it is not related . took test and can't find anything. iam sorry that you all are having this trouble also, but glad im not nuts.this is very scary when this happens god bless