DOES ANYONE HAVE TROUBLE W/CHOKING

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GLASTETTER, Aug 14, 2006.

1. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I HAVE A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH CHOKING WHEN I EAT OR TAKE MY MEDS AND JUST HAVE TROUBLE SWALLOWING PEROID I FEEL LIKE MY THOAT WON'T WORK SOMETIMES, LIKE SOMEHOW I FORGOT HOW TO SWALLOW
    DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR AM I JUST MENTAL

THANKS
    BARBARA
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

yes, this is a newer thing w/ me lately. And it was really making me wonder. It actually doesn't really happen w/ pill swallowing, I don't have a problem w/ that. But out of the blue drink can go down the wrong tube, sometimes I just choke on my own saliva, that's really nuts.

jeanne
  3. Spinworks

Spinworks New Member

I've had it for years. Don't choke on pills - just drinks or my own saliva. Especially if I chew gum. Nearly drown myself.

Doris
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

This has happened to me. My own saliva has done this to me and chicken noodle soup causes trouble.
  5. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I DO CHOKE ON MY OWN SALIVA AND DRINKS BUT IT DOESN'T GO DOWN THE WRONG TUBE. I WAS WONDERING IF THIS IS PART OF FM

THANKS
    BARB
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2006]
  6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have had CFS/FMS for about 20 years or more. Besides the swallowing difficulties, I use to be too tired to talk, also. It takes energy from muscles to do these things. My neck is all out of whack from injury and it seems to affect the whole neck, front and back. I was literally tongue-tied, where the muscle therapist had to do muscle release inside my mouth.

I have problems with swallowing pills. I order soft food in restaurants because it is more tiring eating out and I may choke.

So, it may not be as common a symptom, but it does exist. You are not alone..............Patti
  7. 1horse

1horse New Member

You need to see a gastroenderologist..(G I ) Dr. You could have a slight stricture in the esophagus which needs to be stretched. it is a procedure that they sedate you for and then stretch that area..check into it hugs Peggy
  8. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

THANKS ALOT I WILL SAY SOMETHING TO MY DOC
    ABOUT IT I GO AGAIN NEXT MONDAY

EXTREMLY GENTLE HUGS

BARBARA
  9. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

I have trouble with liquid and solids together:cereal, noodle soup. Sometimes the left side of my throat feel like there is a dry patch on it, then I will choke. I spit all over the table one night while choking, that was a stellar moment for me: gross!!!Embarrassed is not even close to what I felt. Everybody else just laughed, I was mortified!!

Cathy
  10. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

WHEN MY HUSBAND AND I FIRST STARTED DATING I TALKED HIM INTO GOING TO CHURCH WITH ME, WE WENT OUT TO EAT FIRST THEN STOPPED AT KMART BECAUSE I HAD A COLD TO GET SOMETHING FOR IT WE GOT IN THE TRUCK AND I TOOK A PILL AND LIKE TO HAVE CHOKED TO DEATH HE HAD TO STOP THE TRUCK AND I LOST THE NICE DINNER HE BOUGHT ME. I CRIED LIKE A BABY AND HE STARTED CRYING WITH ME
    BUT NOW WE LAUGH EVERYTIME WE TELL THE STORY

BARBARA
  11. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Does anyone have like a pocket in their throat that food gets trapped in? I had xrays done and the muscles aren't right on the left side, with my neck problems that I already have due to an injury, but it was nothing that they were concerned about. I just have to keep drinking and waiting for the food to get dislodged from the spot when it happens. It is just an annoyance and I don't know when it's going to happen.