Does anyone have vertical ridges on their nails?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moi482001, Jun 8, 2008.

1. moi482001

moi482001 Member

I looked the cause of this ridges and one site on the internet said it was common with people who suffer from chronic pain such as Fibromyalgia. Well, that really blew me over. A very identifiable sypmtom of Fibro. It took 18 months for dr. to tell what my problem was.

Does anyone else have these vertical ridges on their nails. Some are sharper than others and make nail cleaning difficult.
  2. poets

poets Member

I've had these things on and off ever since I was a teenager. Sometimes they're worse than others. They're not real bad, but you really notice them when you're trying to paint your nails and get the polish on evenly.
  3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

fignernails are vertical toenails are horizontal and one of my doctors did some real research and said this is from neurological condition.
  4. CarolK

CarolK New Member

I'VE HAD THESE FOR YEARS AS AN ADULT... BUT NOT AS A CHILD OR TEEN. THEY HAVE DEVELOPED OVER THE PAST 15 YEARS.

CAROLK

PS... I HEARD THAT IF YOU DEVELOP HORIZONTAL LINES... IT'S AND INDICATION OF TRAUMA OR UNUSUAL STRESS... IE, FLU'S, COLD'S ETC. OR IF YOU'VE GONE THROUGH A PARTICULARLY STRESSFUL TIME... I.E. SURGERY, DEATH IN FAMILY OR DIVORCE.
  5. charming

charming New Member

I'm so glad you asked that question I got them in my nails and sometimes I be embarrass to show my hands .lately I try to keep my nails polished.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2008]
  6. yes i do,and ive been a psoriasis sufferer for many years.

so i thought the nail problem was a psoriasis thing.

love fran
  7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Hubby has them and fibro.I read somewhere that it is a symptom of fibo.Ruthie
  8. petcat

petcat New Member

I am new to Fibro and don't even know if I have it yet but was doing research and found that these ridges are a symptom of Fibro. I have had these ridges for years, and yes it is a problem when trying to paint nails. I don't even try anymore. I do sometimes use a buffer to smooth them out a little. Also have ridges on toenails.
  9. Didoe

Didoe New Member

my nails offer an exhibition gallery of ridges, half moons (that come and go) and black spots, that come and go.
    i dont use polish because its seemed a good idea to keep track of what's going on and not cover it all w/polish; but during summer i might do my toe nails...you start, you have to keep it up, otherwise it looks awful
  10. jess

jess New Member

HI, I have them on fingernails and toenails. I heard they were common in Fibro. I also have read they could indicate poor mineral and protein absorption. This is true for me. Jess
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I do not know how long I have had them but have for years. They are also veyy dry and brittle. I keep putting stuff on them (when Iremember)to try and make them stonger but it doesn't work to well or for very long. My nails stink.

Hugs,

Granni
  12. I just last mo. got them and haven't asked the dr yet what the heck! I do remember the first time I went to my rheum. dr. he looked at my hands/nails?
  13. xphile

xphile New Member

Yes, I have had those ridges for ages and never thought much about it. Being a guy I don't worry about painting my nails or anything lol but I always thought it odd that I had what made my nails appear to be in three vertical pieces. The middle nail on my right hand is infected and has kept me from typing for a few days, but that's slowly getting better though I can still take my pulse in it. Anyhow, I too have those vertical ridges; you aren't alone.

Hugs,
    Adam
  14. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

is a definite sign of low free T3 (your active thyroid hormone) which is usually related to CFS/FM (hormonal deficiencies).

Get the free T3 test done and see where you fall. "Optimal" is in the upper third quadrant of the normal range, but at least being smack in the middle is better than nothing. Most people are in the lower 3rd quadrant of normal, or out of range low, and most doctors never test for this. They only look at TSH - which is a worthless reading.

I bet if you have those vertical ridges that your are very low in free T3! Get the test and then post back here.

Good luck!
    ~Erica
  15. pansylady

pansylady New Member

I have ridges also on my nails & when I googled it on the web it said it was a sign of FM.

Pansylady
  16. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

No my T3 has always been fine but I have them see my post above.
  17. jamiana

jamiana New Member

I also have vertical lines on almost all my nails and have noticed at times I have deep horizontal lines on some of them, ugly site to see especially since I love flip flops, they don't hurt my feet and sometimes even wear them in the house for cushion, the bottom of my feet hurt so so bad.
  18. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Yes, I have them too. I have them bad enough and deep enough on my right thumb that my entire thumbnail cracks down into the quick sometimes. I keep Gorilla glue on it to keep it from cracking as much as I can.

I had no idea this was related to FM.
  19. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

current published research and he is the one who told me low free T3 is the cause of vertical ridges in nails. That doesn't mean you don't have FM. There may be other causes to this symptom. I don't know of any, but there may be. I do know that this IS one of them.

msgblue, what were your free T3 levels when you tested? Being in the normal range is not enough.

Ask your doctor for the free T3 test (and reverse T3 test if they'll do it).

[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2008]
  20. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

with the exception of my left thumb, which for about three years now has been very thin and it sinks inward and has horizontal ridges on the sunken portion of the nail.