Does anyone have weakness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sapphire, Nov 1, 2002.

1. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I am having weakness on one side only. My right leg is weak but not my left. I've had weakness before but usually it's not only on one side. It's so weak sometimes that I am limping slightly. I just wondered if anyone else had this. I am going to a Neurologist next week. My PCP wants to rule out MS. Does anyone know if this is a symptom of MS? I have CFS and FMS. Could it be a symptom of one of those? Of course I am hoping it isn't MS. I don't know if I can deal with another illness.
    I want to thank you in advance for any comments. You are all so helpful.

Sapphire
  2. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I am having weakness on one side only. My right leg is weak but not my left. I've had weakness before but usually it's not only on one side. It's so weak sometimes that I am limping slightly. I just wondered if anyone else had this. I am going to a Neurologist next week. My PCP wants to rule out MS. Does anyone know if this is a symptom of MS? I have CFS and FMS. Could it be a symptom of one of those? Of course I am hoping it isn't MS. I don't know if I can deal with another illness.
    I want to thank you in advance for any comments. You are all so helpful.

Sapphire
  3. Teri424

Teri424 New Member

Sapphire,
    My legs (especially my knees)feel weak a lot of times too, but it's usually both and not just one. When I have this problem I do limp. I've also gotten very unsteady on my feet, sometimes. The Rheumy did send me to a Neurologist. It was at that time, I found out I had Epilepsy too. Hopefully yours will just be Fibro. Let us know. OK?

Hugs!
    Teri424
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

i do very bad , cant feel my left arm hardley at all my left legs also very bad my right one sometimes is numb ive been going threw all the neuro test latley to rule out ms or anything eles ,sense im so bad and my neuro dosent belive fm is more then a mental promblem ,ive had some painful test recently, many of the sysmtoms of ms and fm are the same my ex mother in law has ms and most of our symtoms are idenical so much so she belives i must have ms to but my test always come back pretty normal its sad that not many people know that fm can be so bad even drs my neuro dosent under stand how he can obseve the numbess weakness,loss of balace in his exams but the test come out fine its puzzling and fustrating for everyone so dont worry to much
    good luck
    kara
  5. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Many FMS/CFS patients become MS suspects.In Europe they call our DD Myalgic Encephalitis. The one sided weakness can definately be FMS. You may naturally use one side more than the other causing it to tire faster. Look at it this way..on the outside chance you do have MS, though you probably don't, at least you'll be taken seriously by doctors who will offer real treatment. MS treatments are shown to help FMS patients.
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

Mine can be completely one sided, & I was screened for MS, but I don't have it.
    I had such pain (constant ache) & weakness in my left arm from the shoulder to the fingers, that it made me cry.
    It would come & go a bit, but was pretty much always there.
    Also had more trouble with my left leg than with my right one.
    At the moment my arm is okay, but it does flare up & when is does it's not pleasant. I can't even hold it up, & driving along in the car with bumps is enough to have me in alot of pain.

Lease
  7. Breel

Breel New Member

Yes, I have weakness in both legs and sharp stabbing pains in both legs. Just recently I have been going to a podiatrist for plantar ficiatis in my left foot. I have had one cortizone shot and this week I am getting another. They will only recommend 3 shots and if there is still pain, then I would need surgery on that foot. I have had a bad flare up week with the fibro and I feel that is where most of the weakness comes. I think my low iron also causes a lot of my weakness. Have you tried taking potassium, magnesium, and zinc plus B vitamins. I was told I need these, so just wondering. New to this site, would like to help and get help. Thanks, Breel
  8. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Typically after exertion, both legs feel wobbly and unsteady (especially around the knees, which want to buckle). I typically get pain more in one leg than the other, but they seem to fatigue equally, which is odd. Fibro is pretty similar to MS, with lots of neurological symptoms (tingling, numbness, weakness, blurred vision, poor bladder control), but there are significant differences when you start to look into it. Have you fallen, or has your leg given way completely? If not, I'd try not to worry too much about MS. Even if it has, there are various explanations for it which don't involve a primary neurological disorder. Keep us posted!
    All the best,
    Marcus
  9. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

have weekness. Sometimes it's in my arms and sometimes it's in my legs. I've had it in my right arm mainly to where I can't even lift it. Trying to lift my arm to just brush my teeth or dry my hair is so painful. I have to depend on my little ones to help me when my hubby isn't home. My legs have become so painful and weak that there have been times I can't walk. The only thing I've learned to do is to rest as much as possible. I hope all goes well with your visit to you neurologist. I pray they don't discover MS. My dr. fist sent me to a neurologist because of the weakness in my legs, I kept falling and stumbling. Best of luck!
    Crissie
  10. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Thank you all for replying.
    I think it was Marcus that asked if I had fallen or anyting. I haven't, and my right knee goes out from under me sometimes. I've always been able to bring it back in before it went too far. It's really not my whole leg but just the muscle above the knee that's weak. I've had alot of weakness before but not like this.
    I do feel better since hearing from you all. I'll try not to worry too much. After all, how many times do we go to the Dr. just for them to tell us they didn't find anything. So I suspect that is what will happen this time.
    I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,
    Sapphire