Does anyone here have Sjogrens? and/or wear dentures

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Feb 2, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I was dxs with Fibro and CFS about 4 years ago, but now my eye Dr thinks I have Sjogrens, I failed the eye moisture test and have had dry mouth for many years after I had chemo for cancer and my dentist at the time said the chemo destroyed my salivia glands.

Now after researching it more, I think that may be my problem. I had a recent MRI/CT of the spine and my discs are affected and now the facets are affected too. It is like my body is just drying up.

I have been wearing dentures for 15 months and got my final pair last week and they do fit better than my last but my gums, especially the lowers under the tongue area just get raw if I wear them longer than a few hours a day.

I had to wear them 2 long days in a row and they are just so sore I can't bear to think about putting them in.

Any advice or stories- I am waiting to get into the Rhuemy for more follow up but that is not until next month. Thanks-Carla
  2. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

A family member has dentures.

Buy yourself some fixodent and read how much to use.

It will stop your dentures from moving around and you'll be able to wear them a lot longer without them rubbing your gums raw.

I told someone about this a few yrs ago and they used too much and they laughed for weeks about how it took them an hour to get them back out.

3. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks - but I already do, but Polygrip works the best. But I still get sore spots if I wear them more than a few hours. I got my first pair in Sept 06 and hated them, now I have the final pair, while they do look nice because of the dry mouth and no saliva they are giving my gums fits.

Thanks for the reply and and I hope you are doing better. Carla
  4. deb0531

deb0531 New Member

Hi, I've been wearing dentures for a long time and it took me quite a while to get use to them at first. I get a lot of sores in my mouth because of the prednisone I take, my Dr. gave me oral nystatin that seem to help some. Also there are Poly-Grip comfort strips that I've tried that seem to help. Last week I found some stuff called Cushion Grip in a tube , You warm it and then put a bit of it in your plate and mold it to fit. It's suppose to last for four days but I found by the second day it was getting uncomfortable. Hope this helps. Good luck. Deb
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I just saw your Post on the "dry mouth". When i was with the
    "Old Squeeze" during her Hospice, she had horrible discomfort
    from dry-mouth most likely caused by the meds. I was told by
    Hospice of a pump spray that I got from Walgreen's for her.
    It relieved the problem greatly. You might ask the Pharmacist
    there where you live. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the product but think it was inexpensive under $10.00.
    Might be worth a try! A big hello to the "Girls"!!

6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Do you have CMPD also?
    I can't wear my Dentures either.
    the lower ones not at all.

the uppers, i can for a few hours, when i have to go somewhere.

my ins. will now cover new ones for me, since it's been about 5 years now.

the problem is they are too big, and very heavy.
    i took them, back, and back again, but they couldn't get it right.

i have had my uppers, for 27 years, the first pair fix fine.
    wore them for 22 yrs no problem.

when they pulled the bottom teeth, they also removed a bone in the bottom part of my jaw.
    they said it would help the lower dentures to fit better.

i asked if that could cause me a problem, and the answer was no, shouldn't, when they add that shouldn't, i know now it means, for me, yes it will be a problem

i have found a lab here in ca. that can make what are called softlined dentures, (think that's it).
    so i am going to try them, i have a classreunion this sept, and it would be nice to smile for a change.

i also tried all the denture, adhesives, and they did not help, still had pain.

btw, no one in my family can wear their dentures, my mom and grandma couldn't.
    my bro. who just passed away, couldn't,
    i have 2 sister's who can't either.

we all have fms and some of us have cmpd.

i hope you can find some way to wear them, but i know how raw and ragged the gums can be when you wear them for any period of time.
    makes the jaw hurt too, and feel out of line.

good luck
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

Deb- I don't have a lot of room for anything like the things you spoke of, I have tried and they don't work for me.

Bruin63 -what is CM? well shoot I already forgot the other letters- What does that tell you,lol.

I truly believe I have Sjogrens, I do have fibro, but after much research I feel the sjogrens is what is causeing my gum pain. I had ulcers on the inside of the lowers after wearing them 2 days in a row, had to I was out in public meeting and greeting at my gallery and work.

Like you the uppers are better but I want to cry when I first put them in, then a few minutes later I am ok. I miss eating foods like Hot Pockets or pizza breads and a good steak every now and then. It would be so nice just to put the teeth in and eat without the the Benzodine(great numbing agent, like oral gel on steroids) and the polygrip, only thing that works but is *ell to get off.

Thank you for sharing your story about your family, I know I am not alone. I was beginning to think it was just me. Carla
  8. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I was refeering to Chronic Myofasical , it's not a Syndome, really so I forget to add the S sometimes.

You can find this info at Dr. Starlanyl's website.

Myofascial pain is probably the most common cause of musculoskeletal pain in medical practice (Imamura, Fischer, Imamura et al.1997). It is a vital but often unrecognized factor in the practice of medicine. Pain from myofascial dysfunction is probably at the source of many of your symptoms. The white, translucent covering you sometimes see on a chicken breast under the skin is fascia, pronounced “fass-she-uh.” That is only part of the fascia story, however. Fascial is not facial, although you do have fascia under your face. Fascia is almost everywhere in the body, and its boundaries are hard to define. There is no specific field of medicine dealing with fascia or myofascia, and yet it touches all specialties as well as general practice. Fascial dysfunction can mimic many conditions and affect many body systems.

A small change in the myofascia can cause stress to other parts of your body. Restriction of one major leg joint can increase the energy used in walking by as much as 40%. If two major joints are restricted in the same leg it can increase by as much as 300% (Greenman, 1996). Multiple minor restrictions of movement, particularly those affecting the way you walk, can use up your energy and increase fatigue. Fascia is medically separated into three layers, but it is all continuous and three-dimensional. Superficial fascia is attached to the underside of your skin. Capillary channels and lymph vessels run through this layer and so do many nerves, so constriction in this fascia can constrict them. The subcutaneous fat is attached to it as well. If your superficial fascia is healthy, your skin can move fluidly over the surface of your muscles. In FMS and CMP, it is often stuck. The body can store excess fluid and metabolites in superficial fascia. The metabolites are the breakdown products of metabolism and other biochemical reactions in your body. This is the area of fascia that often is the easiest to palpate. Palpation is the art and skill of being able to touch meaningfully, interpreting what the skin and fascia are willing to tell about your state of health. It takes training and experience to palpate. It is more difficult if excess fluid has accumulated in this area due to dysfunction. This type of swelling is often noticed by the patient but frequently missed by the physician because it is diffuse and may be body-wide.

Deep fascia is tougher and denser material. Your body uses it to separate large areas such as the abdominal cavity. Deep fascia covers some portions like huge sheets, protecting them and giving them shape, and separating muscles and organs. The bag-like covering around your heart, the lining of your chest cavity, and the area between your external genital and your anus are specialized forms of deep fascia.

There is a third layer of fascia, called sub serous fascia. This loose tissue covers your internal organs and holds the rich network of blood and lymph vessels that keep them moist. Even your cells have a type of cytoskeleton connected to the fascia network, which is what gives your cells shape and allows them to function. Myofascia is fascia that is related to muscle tissue. Healthy myofascia allows for compression and tension, as well as relaxation. The dural tube is another fascial connection. This tube surrounds and protects your spinal cord and contains the cerebrospinal fluid. It is connected to the membranes surrounding your brain. Together, they hold and protect your craniosacral system. Once you understand the pervasive nature of fascia, you can see how fascial dysfunction can cause all sorts of problems.

In the myofascia there is a material called ground substance. The ground substance transfers nutrients from where they are broken down into usable materials to where they will be used and removes waste products from these areas of use. The ground substance can change from a loose gelatin consistency to gel-foam or even like stiff Styrofoam, hardening and losing elasticity if subjected to biochemical or mechanical trauma. The myofascia tightens with it.

Ground substance also maintains the distance between connective tissue fibers. This prevents microadhesions from forming and keeps your tissues supple and elastic. When the critical distance is not maintained, the fibers become cross-linked by newly synthesized collagen, which are also part of the fascia. Collagen crosslinks are arranged haphazardly, unlike healthy linkages, and are hard to break up. Sheets of fibrous myofascial adhesion can form anywhere along nerves and block normal healthy function."

For me this is my main source of pain.
    it's not unusual, as you know, that a lot of folks also have both conditions.
    it's a real Merry-go-round, with no Brass ring, ;o)

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2008]
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

Wow thank you for that lesson, I have looked into it but not a great depth like this. It may explain the lump/swollen area around my T-spine. It does not show on a xray, MRI or CT scan, had them all in the last month.

The lump is visual, I noticed it when looking in a mirror with another mirror. I was in so pain I had to see what I could see. My Dr's have seen it but no answers, even tho I have adequate pain meds and relaxers, nothing touchs it.

I also have "ridged in my muscles" , especially the left forearm and inside the elblow. There are large knots and ridges in my muscles. I am strong but low enurance when doing repeative things or just trying to change a reluctant light bulb.

Thanks again for the info- I found a sjogrens message board yesterday and the more I read the more I am sure it is the reason I can't wear my dentures. Carla
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

There's a cheap mouthspray called STOP, at drugstores. It is wondeful. it keeps your mouth and throat moist and it might help keep dentures comfortable too!

Maybe worth a try!