Does Anyone Here Think FMS Is Contagious?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kenna, May 29, 2003.

1. Kenna

Kenna New Member

OK, an odd question here, but I have two friends that are both concern that my FMS maybe contagious. One has a very young child, the other is an 80 years old woman. I love them both so much, but they are somewhat afraid of the unknown of the FMS I have.

Does anyone have any information from all of your sources, and did your close love ones get this after you contacted it?

Thank for the info.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2003]
  2. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

Yup I have a friend who has not visited me for almost the 3 years I have been ill with CFS in case she *catches* it, because she *knows* her husband would divorce her if she had something like *this* great eh?
    Karen
  3. ifuwouldjust

ifuwouldjust New Member

There are some nasty people out there that I would love to experience it. Especially Dr. Baker

But no the only contagious part appears to be the contagious misunderstanding of this DD

Ciao
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2003]
  4. Myth

Myth New Member

I certainly hope not! I doubt that it is catchy in the sense of having a cold, but maybe if we donated blood it may be contagious.
  5. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I have stopped donating blood since no one seems to know exactly what is causing this. I don't want to take the chance.

I don't think it is contagious but I do think it can be inherited since my mom and I both have it.
  6. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

You should print out info from the site and or have your friends visit here abd read and research.

Sorry you are going through this stuff. Education is the knowledge and research is the key.

Take care, Kim
  7. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I have FMCFS, my husband was diagnosed May 6th with FM, and my 13 yr. old daughter is exhibiting symptoms. She will be going to the dr. next. Contagious, I don't know?
    Evironmental, perhaps, toxins? Mycloplasmas?
    Whose to know, I am so researched out at this point.
    Dr. appt. for hubby and I today---must leave as its a days drive.
    LL
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do believe that some of the infections which seem to trigger our illness are contageous in their active stages; however, I also believe that genetic makeup plays a part.

If you give your infection to a genetically-predisposed person, yes, I believe it could trigger FMS/CFIDS in that person. You would have to be in the active stage of your infection for this to happen. If the person were not genetically predisposed, he or she might get sick with what feels like flu but it would not go into our illnesses.

This is just my opinion based on research articles I have read. I believe in the genetic predisposition as our illnesses do seem to run in families and affect more women than men.

I do not believe it is safe for us to donate blood, bone marrow, or organs because the stealth infections in their chronic inactive stage live deep inside our cells and transmission is a possibility.

Love, Mikie