Does anyone keep losing weight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cristine04, May 2, 2003.

1. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

I'm wondering if anyone is having trouble keeping their weight normal? I keep losing weight and I eat around the clock, a very healthy diet, low in sugar. I used to workout for 3 hours/day and eat 2500 calories plus/minus. Now I eat about 2,000 calories/day without any exercise (obviously!). What's up with this? A 500 calories differential with no exercise and I am losing weight? My legs are sticks and my doc is getting a little worried. I'm also curious, which foods should I eat to compensate? My guess is more fruits and veggies but your input is important.

Thanks!
  2. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Check with your doctor. It could be the medications you are taking. I had this problem one year and it was a med. Wish I could remember which one. I think most of them make us gain weight, but there are a few out there that make you lose. Good luck.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We seem to be having the same problem, but I am not a good eater! Good for you, at the very least you are eating healthy and well.

I lost ten pounds last year, and can't gain it back. I am now 115, at 5'5", could use what I lost!

It is not meds with me, I don't take any. But my appetite is bad, I rarely want to eat, I don't eat junk food, just don't feel like eating anything.

Have you tried Ensure? The Ensure Plus is full of calories, and since you do eat well, if you could drink this with meals it should help you gain some weight.

Hope you find the cause of this.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Yes, I keep loosing weight too. I basically can only eat meat, vegetables, a bit of fruit (too much sugar is bad) and a bit of grains. These don't have a lot of fat builders in them. Then because of periodic IBS I don't absorb anything during these bouts and loose more weight. I'm not on any meds.

I am trying to learn which veggies have the most fat and eat them. I eat a lot of avocadoes for an example. They seem to do good things for the body and for me they digest easily but have high calories. Because the meat I eat is extra lean it doesn't offer much in the calorie deptmt. either. I can't eat dairy products.

I'm sorry I don't have a lot of helps. I am interested in the advise the board members give you and will check back later. If I loose anymore weight I will be under weight and I'm am trying hard to stay above that line. You are not alone struggling to keep your weight up. Never thought I'd have this problem! Did you? LOL My best to you. CLD
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Yes, I am losing weight at a rate of about 4-5 pounds a week. Mine I believe is lack of appetite from the anti-depressant I am taking.

You did not mention any other symptoms, but weight loss like you are experiencing is a symptom of Diabetes and of Hyperthyroidism.

Have you been checked for these?

Lane
  6. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

thanks for the responses!! I will try Ensure ASAP and also yes, I have been checked for diabetes and that came back negative as did hyperthyroidism. I am slightly "hyper" but nothing major. I am so thankful for this board!

cristine
  7. fifty1ford

fifty1ford New Member

Cristine,

During the first 12 months after I changed my diet eliminating all sugars, I lost over 50 lbs. I became concerned, so modified my diet from strictly veggan to a moderate amount of meat and fish. I am still careful not to comsume too much fish (Mercury) and eat only free range beef and chicken. The diet modification has stablized my weight.

I have since learned that one of the keys to longevity is to be thin and have a very small body fat percentage. Energy you body uses to digest and store food takes its toll over a period of years. It also diverst energy away from healing itself.

Peace,
    Ford J.
  8. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I 've been having this problem for some time too. I seem to have leveled off though. I eat quite a lot and have a good appetite. I'd like to gain; it makes me look unwell. My Dr. has put this issue on a back burner but We'll get back to it. So I don't have the answer either.
    I eat a low carb no sugar diet, and it's hard to gain on it!
    Madelyn
    I would check the label on any Ensure type product . Sometimes they have ingredients which aren't good
    for us![This Message was Edited on 05/02/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2003]
  9. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I have gained weight and most men in my fibro group have also. One guy only eats 1000 calories a day and gains weight.
  10. skychomper

skychomper Member

hey christine,

ive got cfs
    when I first became sick, I lost about 10 lbs. in 2 weeks. Im 5'2 and used to weigh 118-120lbs.
    I stayed at that new weight for 4 years until my latest flare, in which I've lost another five lbs. I didn't think that was even possible! so now Im 105. Unfortunately I lost mostly muscle and the fat stayed there. its always the last to go I think- for protection of the body....I think those ensure drinks or something like that is a good idea. when I was losing weight again, I craved all the bad stuff- all the evil carbs...and I let myself have them. I practically gorged myself on bagels/muffins/pizza/pastries,etc. for a few days. then my body felt satisfied and I ate like a normal person again- really weird!
    this isn't really healthy I guess, but thats what I craved.
    in my case, it was self limiting. on bigger flares I lose more, for minor ones, I drop about a pound or two. I know it can be a little scary, but in my case it eventually evened out. feel better!

-skychomper
  11. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I am taking Effexor XR - I am really quite pleased with it. Weight gain is a possible side-effect with this drug, but it can also cause taste perversion, nausea and loss of appetite with some people. I don't have nausea now, but I did the first 2 or 3 days and I haven't noticed the taste perversion, just the loss of appetite.

I wish I could say I needed to gain. I actually needed to lose some weight, but I am losing it a little too fast and I'm getting baggy :eek:).

Lane
  12. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

I keep losing wieght too but I think I'm eating okay. I do eat way to much candy and cereal and have hungry days and none hungry days. my family thinks its funny to call me anorexia. my sisters, cousins and there friends talk behind my back and say I just take pills to lose wieght. what I wouldn't do to walk in their healthy shoes. and I hate those pills and wish with all my heart I didn't have to take them. there actually jelous of me now. how sick is that. there are some days though that I really have to force feed myself so I can take the pills without doing damage to my stomach. now would I do that if I wanted to lose weight. my weight is okay,. far from anorexic. okay now I'm getting myself worked up here...BREATH..okay feeling much better. just kiddin/not
    Lisa,
  13. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I have been gaining, if anyone is interested, send me your address, I'll pack up some of my pounds and send them to you! Fondly June
  14. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

June, My Sister's make that Offer to me all the time, lol.

I lost weight to at the begining of these DD's, now I seem to stay the same weight, I lost the weight Before I was on any Med's. at all, so I can't blame it on them.

In fact I started to smoke MJ again, after years of Not Partying, I had changed my whole lifestyle, and I thought who want's to smoke MJ when they get to be over 40. Well Me, because it does Perk up my appettie, but not like it used to in the old day's when it gave me the Munchies.
    I was always so skinny, had toothpicks for legs, I look at thoes Photo's and think Gads was I a skinny minny.
    I remember at one time I was 22 I weighted 98lb's, my Dr. had a fit, the Gals I worked with, kept buying me Dessert's, yeah just feed that Yeast infection, but who knew back then?

I was heavy for about 12 years now I have gone back to being thin for 7 years, wonder what's next?

I just don't like to Eat, in fact I'm in a Flare right now because of my Neck, and I went 2 day's without eating, I did eat today, because it's Sat. and Hubby's home I guess.

I underwent all kinds of test's, and they never found the cause, so I just figure ok, that's a blessing because I have so many Orthopedic problems, that having extra weight is bad.

Must be another of thoes Alien Symptoms of FMS.

I read where you went to the Dr. that's good, because we just can not pass off Symptoms to these DD's alone.
    I have Spinal Stenosis with DDD and OA and right now the disc's are hurting me and that cause's the Muscles to tense up, and that makes the CMP worse which set's off the FMS.
    Like Domino's you could say. So when I'm in Pain I have to check to see what is causing it, and not just let it go.
    Then I can treat the Problem.

Hope you find some answer's, it could be so many thing's, and Most are not Serious, after 7 years, something would have shown up, I would think>

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  15. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Topamax. But, can't take the nerve pain w/o it. One is having here dose increased. I was lossing weight really fast then Started to gain a bit. Now, my thyroid is acting up but, necause my vit D is low they think taking Vit D will correct the problem I have newly developed.

That Ensure is a great idea. Home made smothies are akso good and you can add yougart, ice cream what ever to add cals.

Good luck, Kim and Gary