Does anyone know a good cfs doctor in north Alabama?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Heirloom, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

I have not had many of the tests I see mentioned here. I would like to find a doctor that would do the Lyme, CMV, and other tests. If anyone knows a good CFS doctor in northern Alabama or southern Tennessee, please let me know. Thank you.
  2. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi Heirloom,
    I live in Fayetteville, TN. Right on the Al line. I see Dr. Macon Phillips with Rheumatology Associates of North Alabama. There are about 5-6 docs in the practice and are located across the street from the hospital on Scivally Rd. Dr. Phillips dx me a few months ago and I go back next Thurs. He ran ALL the blood & urine tests as well as checked all the Tender Points and checked every joint. I have OA also and he dx me w/ FM. Unfortunately I have gotten worse over the past few months and I'm going to ask him about this when I go back next Thurs.

I've only seen him twice and he doesn't say much so I don't have an opinion of him yet. Good Luck with locating a doctor and with managing your condition.
  3. 143alan

143alan New Member

I read one of your earlier post about Meinere's disease. I was tested for this also. YUCK! I got so sick from the test. They did the one where they blow cold and hot air in your ear. Turned out I did not have Meinere's but did have severe inner ear damage in my right ear. I take the same thing for it as they prescribe for Meinere's Meclozine, Dieuretic and decongestant.

It's a totally miserable thing to have especially when the weather changes. Much like FM or OA your inner ears are affected by the changes in barometric pressure.

Good luck again and I hope you are doing well.
    Nancy
  4. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding. Nancy, Meniere's is miserable. Days when my fibro and Meniere's are flaring are especially bad.

I have not received much help from the rheumatologist. He has tried to put me on several different meds and none have worked for me. I know it's not really his fault; I'm just extra sensitive to medication.

The rheumatologist I see has tested me for all the autoimmune diseases and everything is always normal. However, I havent' been tested for Lyme and the other more unusual things. I guess, like everyone else, I'm searching for answers.

Thanks again for your post.
  5. barbslilies

barbslilies New Member

Check at the Univ. of Alabama Hospital in Birmingham. There is a research dept there for cfs and fibromylgia.
    Hope this helps. Can't remember his name though.
  6. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi Heirloom
    My son has RND and they had a hard time diagnosing him too. His ANAs would be way high on one test and normal on the next. He has tremendous pain and swelling too. A pediatric rheumatologist diagnosed him with reflex neurovascular dystrophy. It affects EVERYTHING it seems. One minute he's fine, the next, a body part will swell up start hurting. He's sensitive to light and sound and has nightmares all the time. This crappy illness affects everything in his body. Total fatigue, rashes, vision problems, etc.

Good luck, I hope you find a Dr. that knows what to test for and will. I hope everything goes well with you.
    Nancy
  7. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

Thank you, again. I'll be sure to research RND and discuss it with my doctor. I will say a prayer for your son. God bless.
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

I posted some info to you on the Lyme board...

all the best,
    Victoria