Does anyone know about leg spasm and muscle cramps

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maymaydee, Jul 26, 2006.

1. maymaydee

maymaydee New Member

My muscles seem to be detearating I see spasms in my legs and I get awfull muscle cramps. We don't have the money for me to go to the doc all the time so I need to find out about these things on my own.Can anyone help me on this or do I need to find help elsewhere? Also I'm in a lot of pain and am not suppose to take Ibuprofen, don't know what else to do.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2006]
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm sorry to hear you're in such pain and struggling with muscle spasms & cramps. This happens to me to and the best I can do to counteract the spasms and cramps is regular stretching exercises. I do a variety of stretches targeting the worse muscle groups and hold the stretch for upward of thirty seconds. It doesn't take it away but it will minimize it a bit. Hot baths can provide short-term relief as well. Other things that help is massage, muscles relaxants and a heating pad. I hope you feel better soon. God bless, Anne Theresa
  3. maymaydee

maymaydee New Member

Thank you but doesn't streaching bring on the cramps it does with me.
  4. My doctor just prescribed vailum for muscle spasms in my neck it has helped after 2 days.Ruthie
  5. Magnesium and potsium are both very goo sources for muscles and pain Ruthie
  6. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Yes, Magnesium is essential and we are often very low in it. Try Magnesium citrate or maagnesium glycinate. I take 600 mg or so a day in the evening usually because it also helps with sleep. Adequate Potassium and Calcium are also very very important. My mom swears by a glass of Tonic water every day. Another thing that can help is Iron if you are low in it.

Gretchen
  7. Gail8899

Gail8899 New Member

So far my Dr has checked my blood levels of potassium, calcium, and magnesium, and found no problem. I have severe muscle spasms all over my body and am on two heavy duty muscle relaxers just to be able to move, but they still do not stop all of the spasms. My Dr thinks the spasms are neuro in origin and come either from Lyme, or MS. I have found that alternating ice and heat does help for a little while.

..Gail
  8. DreamPoet

DreamPoet New Member

I get muscles cramps in the calves of my legs...especially in the middle of the night. I've done this for years. If you stretch your legs, make sure you bring your toes up as if you were standing on your heels, not down. I've found that seems to pull the muscle back where it should be. It doesn't completely relieve the cramp or the pain, but makes it better and it will eventually go away. Don't know if that will help you or not.
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

For several years I have heard, or read, about putting a unwrapped bar of soap under your bedsheet, down by your feet.

I have horrid leg cramps. They have been this way since I was a child. I did try this, and it worked. Sometimes more than others. I now swear by this. I also prop up my legs.

Heck, a bar of soap is cheap! It's worth a try!

Kim
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

I am not kidding. This was on the news today. Some pro players dad makes pickles and just by serendipity found out the pickle juice kept the football player from having leg cramps during games.
    Now they are bottling this stuff, not because it tastes good, but because the electrolytes in it keep you from getting cramps and spasms.
  11. butterfly99

butterfly99 New Member

with pickle juice if you have Candida it will cause a flare up because there is viniger, Candida feeds on it.
    I take Ultram for my RLS works great but not great for pain!!
    Amy