DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT SSI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nyer566, Jun 12, 2010.

1. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

I WAS JUST APPROVED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY. I AM LEGALLY MARRIED, BUT MY HUSBAND DOES NOT SUPPORT ME AND WE DO NOT LIVE TOGETHER. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I WILL BE ABLE TO GET SSI TO SUPPLEMENT MY SSD BECAUSE I AM NOT GETTING MUCH.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

SSI is purely income based, and as long as you can show that you husband is not contributing to your income , then his income will not figure into it. Actually, I think that he cannot have contributed anything to your income in the last yr, bc if I remember rt they look at tax forms. They do also look at any assets you have. The income amount that you have to be below in order to get SSI is a ridiculously tiny amount. Some people on SSDI do get both, but very few. What the govt think you should be able to live on is not even enough to pay rent.

You would have to contact your local SS office to find out the actual amount, but I know that when I first started receiving SSDI, the amount at the time for SSI was below something around $500/month. That was 5 yrs ago, so it will have gone up some, but not much. I am still not eligible and 90% of my income goes to rent and electric (& I am at the cheapest place around, so that should tell you something).

Sorry to bear such gloomy news, but that's the unfortunate reality of SS.....and there is a very good chance it is going to get worse, bc our govt keeps borrowing from SS and is running out of money.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I just looked it up and the $2000 amt is the total amt of assets you can own in order to be eligible; not the total income (or total income and assets put together)......the total income varies from state to state, but I believe that it is always lower than the max amt that you can get from SSI and that is $637 for an individual.[This Message was Edited on 06/14/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2010]
  4. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

WHEN I FIRST APPLIED FOR SSD, THEY APPLIED FOR SSI FOR ME BUT IT WAS DENIED BECAUSE OF MY HUSBANDS INCOME, BUT NOW I HAVE PROOF HE DOES NOT SUPPORT ME BECAUSE I AM CURRENTLY ON SOCIAL SERVICES. I WILL NOT GET MUCH SSD LIKE 221 A MONTH AND THE LADY AT SOCIAL SECURITY SAID I WOULD GET ABOUT ANOTHER 180 A MONTH IN SSI, BUT I SHOULD BRING PROOF I AM NOT BEING SUPPORTED BY MY HUSBAND.
  5. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

AMOUNT OF SSD IS 621 A MONTH.
  6. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member