Does anyone know anything about Nerve Studies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kacjac, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

My husband will go in for a nerve study soon. I have never heard of this, does anyone know what it entails?
    Any info would be great!
    TIA~Karen
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Yes,

I've had one done. Basically what they will do is stick small needles (just like an acupunture needle) into different parts of your husbands arms and legs. Then they'll send a small current of electricity through the needles to measure how the nerves react. This will tell them whether the nerves are in good condition or whether there may be some degeneration.

It's not the most comfortable procedure but not the worst either.

3. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Thanks,it sounds interesting!
    He had surgery not to long ago, on his L shoulder, and is now having numbness and tingling!
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

google up "nerve conductivity" or "nerve conduction test" and "electromyography" EMG etc and you'll find some good links.
  5. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Thanks for the heads up!
    Can you share your experience?
  6. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

sort of... Due to muscle weakness I was told to get it done in my legs, but I was so sick and overly sensitive to everything and I could not take more pain. The dr wanted to rush through but after three needles I told him I need a moment, but he lost patience and told me he did not have to do it if I did not want to do it. He was being a jerk. So I told him to stop and walked out. Most people can tolerate it fine, I guess it was too much for me at that time. I would have finished it if he was more patient, but he was not.
  7. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

8. marw

marw New Member

I've had EMG studies done on my legs (had herniated disks in my back, but trust me, these things can be made MUCH better with Physical therapy...surgery is not always necessary for back problems).

Anyway, it is a painful test for me. It helps greatly to do a total relaxation series just before the test....do you know how to do paasive relation, or have biofeedback experience? If not, just keep deep breathing and relax your muscles. Do not tense....will make it worse. (What I do is breathe and focus on some beautiful vacation spot.)

It is not an unbearable pain, but it's not pleasant.

It does tell docs a lot, so it is a good test to have.

Good luck.
    Margaret
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...and have mine done on 28th. The thing is it is the ONLY way I can get to see the Neurologist. He just refuses to see me again, will do the EMG etc but has me over a barrel. My doctor has told him straight up he has to re evaluate and the guy is so pompous he won't. Sure hope he does not make me cry with the nerve test, I may just sock him one....."Ill try and report back to you for your DH.

Love Anne C
  10. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

In 1998 when I was 26, I started feeling ill and shortly after woke up with symptoms of a generalized stroke. I was dazed (in a drunken sort of way) and it was months down the road before I was properly communicating my symptoms to family and physicians. Initially they thought it may be viral but that soon passed. Over the following months I saw some improvment in the fatigue/weakness/numbness/drunken state but I only improved about halfway and it's stayed ever since.

Since I complained of numbness, they performed nerve conductivity and like some other comments here--they basically pick two points on your body (often a limb) and send a mild shock to one point and take a reading from the other point. I think the jist is that they measure the speed and wavelength between to see if the nerves in the peripheral nervous system (PNS) is working ok. My first test showed possible indication of damage but 2 subsequent tests showed normal.

The EMG tests for some things similar. They have a needle which is wired up to a speaker and they stick the needle in a muscle and ask you to flex it. Here's a link that can explain it better than I can:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003929.htm
    Basically that test showed up negative too. Other consults I've had by neurologists have shown up normal, although i still can't feel proper sensation in my skin (e.g. I can't feel any pain from sunburn or feel a normal sensation when scratching).

In the larger context, my symptoms (the ongoing alcohol buzz-daze, seeing of stars and loss of sensation, as well as memory and cognitive problems seem to point to the brain and/or the Central Nervous System). One doctor in Atlanta feels that I may have Lupus of the CNS or Vasculitis of the CNS. He put me on Plaquenil in the fall but it's yet to show any improvement.
  11. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

last week. I did fine with the nerve conduction test. But I cried a flood of tears with the muscle test. I had natural child birth and have had fish hooks stuck in my breast to identify cancerous areas so the surgeons would know where they needed to be cutting and I was not in the condition that I was in last week. He probably stuck the needle in my back, hip & legs 5 to 6 times and it felt to me like he was sticking large nails in my leg and moving them around. The table where I was laying was wet where my tears flowing. I didn't even get checked out because the pain was vibrating throughout my body and the tears would not stop. I should have stopped the test. Between the pain and the trauma, I went into a flare. The good news is that everything was wonderful. It's strange how you feel. You don't want to be ill but you have all these symptoms and they tell you everything is great but I still have such problems with being numb, fingers freezing up, and lots of leg & foot pain. I was able to put my foot in a paraffin wax (130.5 degrees) and not feel the heat. Anyway, I am sick of doctors and sick of being sick. Best of luck to you. I'm assuming that the Fibro caused the pain to be so much worse than it is for normal people.
  12. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have done two EMGs on my right arm. They are uncomfortable but not horrible. I am very scared of needles so I was a little anxious in the first place. The needles are small but they do move them some while inserted to get the reading. It was well worth the test for me because I have ulnar nerve damamge.
    Angela
  13. jakeg

jakeg New Member

a couple of months ago and it did put me in a lot of pain, but I was in a flare at the time. I'm not usually bothered by needles but this time it was really bad and had to be done. Every thing came back normal. If your hubby is in a lot of pain the day it is scheduled for I would reschedule for another day unless it is critical that it be done in a timely fassion.

I'm not trying to scare or discourage you on this testing just letting you know that if he's in pain it may be better to reschedule.

Jake
  14. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

I've had two of them. The first one I had was not bad at all (come to find out, it really wasn't an entire procedure). So when I went in for a second one, I was totally unprepared for the pain. It was really unpleasant. Most of mine was in my neck, shoulders and arms. Especially in the neck area when they would stick in the needles and then the electrodes, it would hurt. Then they went really deep and I did bleed. I was totally unprepared. I think it really depends on the doctor doing it too. Obviously I had one who was totally insensitive. And I've had my share of pain before that -- C-Section with twins, surgery for ruptured disk in neck, needles for mylegrams in my spine. If (and that is a big IF) I ever had the procedure again, I would ask questions of the doctor first about how he does it and talk to a nurse or two about the doc.
  15. Has he already had it/them??

Is he having the EMG, or others, or more than one?

I've also had an EMG, done on my right leg, as others have said, it is indeed painful, some of my areas where the needle was inserted did bleed, some did not.

As you can imagine, it isn't pleasant to:

1. Have small needles inserted into your muscle- they are placed one at a time, into the muscle/nerve...

2. Have a doctor, who, no matter how good your relationship is with this man/woman is, suddenly seems to grow horns out of nowhere, (LOL) while the needle is in place in this muscle/nerve causing some major discomfort, begins pulling the limb, and tells you to pull away from the direction he or she is pulling or push against them. It is the last thing you really want to do with the needle in.

I wasn't really flaring when I had my right leg done, but, at the end of mine, each and every single muscle from my lower back down was pretty doggone sore, cramping, weak.

Some of my sites were bleeding, some were not, but only right at the site, no blood running down or anything traumatic like that.

I knew I had to have the test at that time, as the MRI of the lumbar spine was of no help, and the reason for the test was my right leg began buckling on me just out of the blue, causing me to fall constantly, and I was going downhill fast, from walking, to walking with a quad cane, to having to have a walker at the house also, "just in case, i need it, instead", to my integrative med doctor ordering a wheelchair per my THERAPIST's furious demands.

(she was an RN with experience with MS patients and fibromyalgia as well, and also had her master's in science in nursing as well and taught nursing as well as being a therapist) All within about 9 months or so. So I knew it was necessary, and then it still did not show anything.
    I'm still glad I had it, painful or not.

I have also had a test call a Somatosensory Evoked Response test, (SSER) where they used electrodes, instead of needles, it is quite uncomfortable as well.

Anyway I hope all goes well with your DH, let us know, & hope you've gotten help from these posts,

Take care, & best wishes for you & DH

Laura

16. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member