Does anyone know if this can be passed down to children?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

The reason I'm asking is since I've been dx with this it makes me look at my sons illness he suffers with. He has been to counseler after counseler in the past several years for depression, social phobia, etc..and they dx him with bypolar but now it makes since since he does have a problem sleeping and all the other things going on with him that he may have this also.
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

The reason I'm asking is since I've been dx with this it makes me look at my sons illness he suffers with. He has been to counseler after counseler in the past several years for depression, social phobia, etc..and they dx him with bypolar but now it makes since since he does have a problem sleeping and all the other things going on with him that he may have this also.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The chances of a child of a mother with FMS getting it are 50% througout the course of life because the predisposition is thought to be inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. I do not believe the chance would be that high for a boy though. I don't know about CFS.
    Bipolar disorder involves abnormal serotonin levels just as FMS does, so it sometimes appears in the same families, like all other serotonin-mediated illnesses do. (IE. depression, bulimia, anorexia, alcholism, migraine and Irritable bowel syndrome.)
    Klutzo
  4. TracyV

TracyV New Member

right before my mother passed away she was having terrible pain, in her back shoulders ect. The doctor kept telling her she had degenated disc disease which she did but I really think she had FM also. Many of things she told me about the way she felt, are just like I feel from the FM. I hope and pray that my own daughter never has to go thru this.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  5. breezy

breezy New Member

Hi. I'm new here. Its funny that you should ask this question. At my last doctor's appt. my doctor brought it up. I have 2 daughters and a son but she seemed to have the need to warn me that if my daughters ever experience any of my symptoms it should be brought to her atttention immediately. Especially if they go through some sort of mental or physical stress. Like a car accident, an operation or a period of emotional turmoil. These were just a few examples of situataions she said could trigger FM in my girls. She wasn't that worried about my son. Firstly, he has a different doctor and secondly, FM is usaully rare in men. Just our luck, huh?
    Breezy
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Almost ALL chronic illnesses affect women more than men. Men get the acute illnesses more than we do, but conventional medicine is MUCH better at treating acute illness.
    Klutzo
  7. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

He did go thru a trauma at school. That is when everything started happening. He is 17 now but all this took place in 7th grade and he has been to sikes and put on meds, and depression which was so bad he cut up his arm with a razor blade. He has a terrible time sleeping at night and theres just so many symtons he has that leads me to belive this. He refused to take any more meds cause they were helping him so now I know he smokes pot to deal with the social issue and other.
  8. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hi, although I,m new to this board, I can tell you that I
    relate to many of the people who visit this board.

My daughter is 16, she often complains of "growing pains"
    and muscle spasms in her legs. I pray to God that all these
    things will "go away".

I myself have had FM for as long as I can remember. Although
    was'nt dx till about 92. (Fibrositis)

Right now I'm having the best luck with a Psychiatrist.
    I think sometimes they know more about meds than a regular
    phy. Also you get to discuss your symptoms for more than a
    regular 5 minute doctor apt.

I would hate to think that my daughter would have to endure
    the pain and suffering we all do, but at least I will be
    here to support her.

Thinking of You,
    LadyDi
  9. swen

swen New Member

Hi, this is my first time on the board, but have been monitoring it for several weeks. I have had FMS since 1996 and have a pretty extensive drama of doctors and meds that I won't go into at this time. My father started getting pains, depression, turned to alcohol, etc. when he was 40. He's a Type A perfectionist. His doctor told him at the time that it was sponidlosis and he still believes that this is his dx. I have tried to tell him it is FMS but he won't believe me. He's now 77. I started my symptoms when I was 44. Believe it or not, my daughter, who is 13 and adopted, has had serious growing pains all her life so I wouldn't be surprised (but pray not)is she gets it too. We are also both Type A personalities!!
    I suspect your son has FMS too. Get him to the right doctor for a diagnosis.
    May your god go with you.
  10. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

trying to get the docs agree to a DX which I was told I have FM but they say there more...But I agree that my son probably does have it but he says no I dont have it cause he is tired of all the doc appt and meds we went thru when this all started. What do ya do....I know my father has it also but he turned to drinking also and he is 70 and says I'm done with doctors. I see the same symtons I have that he has.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mother had FMS, I have FMS and CFIDS, and both my daughters have FMS.

Love, Mikie
  12. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

I have cfs and I believe my daughter may be on the way to getting this also. For the last two years she has had lots of infections and been extreemly tired after a days work also she shows some of the minor symptoms as well.
  13. FMSisAPain

FMSisAPain New Member

My doctor told me that most of her FMS patients' children are affected too (God love her, she had it too). My daughter has it and I am convinced that my mother had it also but her doctor called it bursitis.