does anyone know if

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neldwn2me, Oct 7, 2005.

1. neldwn2me

neldwn2me New Member

Deprssion plays apart in fm pain?
  2. MKlady

MKlady New Member

Well, I know that when I was depressed I had pain and they gave me Prozac and Trazadone and it helped the pain. That was before my Fibro dx. If you look at the depression symptoms, body pain is part of it. If you look at FM symptoms, depression is part of it. But most people report that the energy/brainfog issues are different between depression and FM.

Hope that helps.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, depression does play a part of the fms pain. Anyone who is in chronic pain is "probably" depressed.

As a matter of fact, my daughter (who is a physician) recently attended a lecture about depression. Fibro was mentioned in that lecture. The man speaking referred to fibro as a "sub-set" of depression.

I am now taking the new anti-depressant Cymbalta. It helps on the depression as well as the pain.

Hugs,
    Janet

P.S. About 15 years ago, I was having terrible tension headaches (and migraines) and the doc put me on Zoloft. I was not depressed at the time, but he told me that anti-depressants had been proven to help people in chronic pain. The Zoloft definitely helped me not to get so many headaches. Maybe he was secretly trying to treat some depression then!! (I have since changed docs.)
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I took awhile for it to happen but,..after a couple of yrs of progressively getting worse,..yea... I'm not too darn happy!!
    and I want to add that I never ever felt depressed before my illness.
    It seems almost bound to happen.
    Weeks and months on end and everyday waking up hurting!?
    It takes its toll thats for sure~

I believe its common in alot of us~ In both diseases Fibro and CF.

Hope this helps
    Tandy
  5. spmary

spmary New Member

Of course one is depressed when in constant pain and can't find a caring, competant doctor.sheesh!
  6. neldwn2me

neldwn2me New Member

I AGREE. ALTHO I HAVE HAD DEPRESSION FOR A LONG TIME. FM FOR 14 YEARS. IWISH ICOULD SAY THAT IT HAS IMPROVED BUT IT HASNT. IF ANYTHING IT'S GOTTEN WORSE OVER TIME. IDO GO PLACES. IDO WATCH WHAT I EAT .I DO EXCERCISE WHEN I CAN. I JUST FEEL LIKE A GUINY PIG FOR THESE DOC'S. THANKS
  7. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

Serenity. you can buy it online - do a search for "buy serenity pills anxiety" at google and the site will come up. it takes about 3 weeks to kick in, but it works for me. i had no side effects from it and i usually have side effects with almost ALL meds. it the natural form of Lithium - not like the prescription.
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Depression causes you to have less joy in life and added stress. The mind body connection is so strong. Stress adds to the ferocity of FM. Just my opinion! Lynn