Does anyone know is SPELT wheat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mer66, Mar 5, 2007.

1. mer66

mer66 New Member

I just bought a box of cereal, on the box it says SPELT flakes I really don't know what spelt is but in the ingredients it does not say wheat and so I thought I was buying cereal with nothing containing wheat, then when I got it home I noticed that there is a picture of wheat on it,and when I googled Spelt it said a sub species of wheat, please excuse my ignorance but I am very new to all this,and if anyone could let me know that would be a great help!
    Maria
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Here is an article on Spelt that I found. Hope this helps you.

Take Care,
    Pam

Popular in Europe for centuries, Spelt is used in a wide variety of cereals, pastas, crackers, baked goods, and beers. The ancient Romans knew it as "farrum", Italians now call it "farro"; today's Germans know it as "dinkle." Spelt has been used successfully, under physicians' supervision, as a wheat substitute for people who have wheat allergies. Once commonly grown in North America, Spelt was replaced at the beginning of this century by modern wheat varieties which are more suited to the high volume production techniques currently used on most American farms. Spelt's flavorful, "nutty" taste has proven to be an attractive alternative to the common varieties of wheat, so much so that spelt production in North America has increased nearly 80-fold in less than a decade.

Spelt vs. Wheat

While many people have compared Spelt to commercial strains of wheat, it is markedly different. All grains of this family are derived from grasses, some, such as Spelt, are closer to the earliest cultivated crops in the western world. Spelt's origins can be traced back to approximately 5,000 BC in the area now known as Iran. Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a distant cousin to modern wheat (Triticum aestivum). Perhaps a better description would be that spelt is a great uncle of modern wheat. Modern wheat varieties have been bred to be easier to grow and harvest, to increase yield, as well as to have a high gluten content for the production of high-volume commercial baked goods. Spelt, on the other hand, has retained much of its original character. It retains a sturdy husk or hull which remains with the kernel, as opposed to modern wheat varieties which have been bred to lose their husks when harvested (free threshing). This hull protects the Spelt grain from pollutants and insects. Furthermore, unlike other grains, spelt is not normally treated with pesticides or other chemicals. Spelt is stored and shipped with its protective hull intact; it is separated just before being milled into flour. Leaving the husk on the grain not only protects the kernel, but enhances the retention of the nutrients in the kernel and improves freshness.

Nutrition Value

Spelt's uniqueness is also derived from its genetic makeup and nutrition profile. Spelt has high water solubility, so the nutrients are easily absorbed by the body. Spelt contains special carbohydrates (Mucopolysaccharides) which are an important factor in blood clotting and stimulating the body's immune system. It is also a superb fiber resource and has large amounts of B complex vitamins. Total protein content is from 10 to 25% greater than the common varieties of commercial wheat.
  3. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

i thought it was... but maybe i am thinking of something else. i think it has gluten though.. i have a friend who's son cannot eat gluten and i think b/c of this he cannot eat spelt. i will ask her and post back.
  4. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

it is on the forbidden list @ Celiac.com

see link below for more info:

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=185&p_catid=12&sid=91hH9H1jsCZg1Sb-35107354512.b5

Best of luck!!
    Bunny
  5. ILM

ILM New Member

been told that Spelt is an ancient form of wheat and it's not safe if wheat is a no-no.
  6. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

I love spelt. I tried it when I learned I had developed an allergy to Wheat (with capital W). Pretty quickly I started feeling bad after I'd eat a slice of it or use it to thicken a sauce. Oats are the least reaction causing grain (except brown rice, of course) but even they cause reactions too often to risk eating them. It's boringly sad to do without grains but I'm managing it. It's worth a try though - a rare and brief experimental tasting. All I wanted was a sandwish, just one little sandwich. I miss them, you know? Good luck!
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

What kinds of cereals do you make? I love apple cinnamon!

I've been trying to find a cereal replacement for my normal breakfast of grits. I have been gluten free for about a year but now am trying to lose a little weight and am only allowing myself one serving of whole grain a day.

I tried quinoa flakes the other day and they were okay but don't really have a lot of flavor, even with sweetner and cinnamon. I thought I might try adding a little rice bran as it has a nutty taste I like but I find the texture nasty by itself.

Maria, I know how frustrating it is to spend money on something only to get it home and find you can't eat it! I've done it several times.

Shar