Does anyone know of any good CFS attorneys in Houston?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JulieL, Jan 4, 2007.

1. JulieL

JulieL New Member

I am looking for a good Fibromyalgia/CFS attorney in Houston, Texas for getting disability benefits from my job. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks,

JulieL
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

I'll bet dr. patricia salvato's office can refer you to a great one!

BTW, she is a good CFS dr and helps her patients get disability.

findmind
  3. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Thanks for the information. She's my doctor and I will be seeing her this coming Monday. I'll be sure to ask her.

I also need to get a second opinion from a different doctor for my work to pay for long term disability. I work for ExxonMobil and they suggested that I not ask her... but I am going to anyway.

The doctor that they want me to see for a second opinion is someone they sent me to back in 1999. At that time he said I did not have Fibromyalgia and I should have counseling... of course my rheumatologist said I had severe Fibro. Of course, I went back to work and pretty much suffered the whole time and it just keeps getting worse. I used practically all my vacation days on sick days. I just hope I don't have a lot of problems with getting the disability. I would think these big companies have alot of pull.

Wish me luck and if you know anything else I should do or be aware...please let me know.

Thanks again,

JulieL
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, so glad Salvato is your dr: I suggest you ask HER for the 2nd drs name! that'll teach 'em!

findmind
  5. michele3322

michele3322 New Member

Dr Salvto is my dr too.Love her I never had to fight for it with letter I received it rightaway.I live on the north side of houston,I really am looking for a good support group out this way. I don't do that well driveing downtown.Anyone know of any?
  6. rigby

rigby New Member

I used Kevin Michaels to get my disability from Unum I don't know if I can put his e-mail address kram1960@houston.rr.com
  7. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Thanks for the information.

Julie
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Click on "Disability" in purple above. Scott Davis has been recommended by many people here. He is in Scottsdale. Handles claims for folks all over the country.
  9. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Thanks for the info.

Julie
  10. elephantear

elephantear New Member

juliel,

I know some people have used Mitchell Katine in Houston. You can google him, and come up with his information. He typically specializes in AIDS/HIV, but some people in the Houston CFIDS support group used him for CFIDS work disability claims. He doesn't do Social Security Disability claims, only private disability claims.

-ee
  11. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Ee,

Thanks for the info.

Juliel
  12. tess0306

tess0306 New Member

I used Blair Brininger. He is great!! This is his speciality. I had alot of problems trying to make the insurance "go between" understand about the illness. After getting the reports from Mr. Brininger, I imagine they are still reading all his research....lol! He crosses all his t's and dots all the i's! After he took my case, I got 18 months of back pay!! He's a Godsend!
  13. justlooking

justlooking New Member

but since you are all familiar with or are in the Houston area, I was hoping you could help me.

I live in the Los Angeles area, we are currently selling our house and we are strongly considering moving to Houston. We have no family or friends there, just really love the houses and prices. So Cal is very expensive and not the greatest place to raise a family anymore.

Anyway I have asked this question before and was give Dr. Salvatos name as a good Dr. but would like to have multiple Drs to interview to find the right one(s) for me. So if you have a good Dr could you please give me their name? I know it makes some people uncomfortable to do that so I promise it will be confidential and after I write them down I will tell you to delete it or we could meet in chat instead?? I just want to make sure I don't move away and find myself in a bad medical situation...

So heres a little about what I am looking for...

I have been diagnosed with FM and CFS and a severe chronic headache disorder. I have been on the same combination of meds for quite some time after A LOT of trial and error. I have tried so many different meds and don't want to have things pushed on me I have already tried and didn't work (ADs mainly) for me. Another biggy is I want to make sure that the Dr is not afraid to prescribe some pain medication and at the same time is also going to offer new ideas for treatment in a compassionate manner.

I am looking for a Dr who will be willing to work with me and not make me start from square one... I definitely will contact Dr Salvato too but I would like to be able to have my Drs call a few different Drs around the Houston area and make sure I am not going to find myself in a new place without a good Dr. I also need someone who will continue to support my SSDI, which I have been on for about 3 years. I currently have 2 great Drs, a PCP and a Pain Dr, they have been great and leaving them will be one of the hardest things about moving.

So thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I appreciate it!!

Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2007]
  14. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Tess0306,

Thanks for the information. He will be the first attorney on my list to call.

Just looking,

I don't know of any other doctors personally but I did call the support group here in Houston and here are the names of the doctors they gave me.

Steven Fillman - Internal Medicine

Dawna Schramm

Kenneth Alo

Dr. Rubin (didn't write down his first name). Sorry I didn't keep the numbers since I use Dr. Patricia Salvato and I really like her. She does presribe pain meds for headaches. I use Fiorinal which helps me quite a bit with the headaches and with energy...go figure. She told me a few patients say that Fiorinal does give them energy... something to do with the chemicals in the pill.

Good luck.

Juliel

15. justlooking

justlooking New Member

You are great. I will find the numbers through provider lists, thanks for the great leads. I'll let you know how I fare.

I take Fiorinal with Codeine for my headaches. It really has been a lifesaver for me. Your right it does give energy and also helps with the other aches and pains too.

Thanks again.
    BTW how do you like the HOuston area? Would you recommend someone relocating there?

Sincerely
    JL
  16. j3669

j3669 New Member

I have seen six different doctors in the Houston area since my fibromyalgia/CFS diagnosis. I won't list the names because none of them compared to the overall treatment and compassion that Dr. Salvato has given me. By the way, she did recently refer me to a Rheumy because of my high ANA results which she runs along with other labs on an annual basis. I haven't been with this Rhemy long enough to make a fair judgement on the meds he has prescribed, but he was not as patient and caring as Dr. Salvato.

Dr. Salvato also prescribes all levels of pain meds, and is open to trying new treatments.