Does anyone know of supplements that make the mucous membranes less dry?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

My eyes and nose are both super dry. The nose is driving me mad. It's very irritated and itchy inside and out. The inside of my nose burns and is so dry and itchy that it hurts to breathe and it feels like there is no moisture to repel dust and allergens. I do have rosacea and it affects my nose so I know this is part of the problem, especially as it gets worse in winter because of temperature fluctuations ie indoors to outdoors :(

It's really getting me down and I am finding that all the effort that is going into scratching it etc is intolerable on top of my current level of fatigue.

I don't want to take antihistamines as they are directed at drying out the mucous membranes. I'd like something that will moisturise my mucous membranes from the inside out and make them more resilient against allergens and drying factors. I take fish oil but no improvement to speak of. I think I have a problem with flaxseed oil and EPO.

I cannot use stuff like vaseline etc in my nose due to chemical sensitivity and this is why I am looking for supplements to help the situation.

Can anyone identify with this or recommend anything? I don't think I have Sjogren's but I was thinking those with Sjogren's might be able to offer some insight or recommend supplements or maybe diet, that might help?

Thanks everyone.

Shelbo :)
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

If you consume a low-fat diet, you might try bumping up the fat % to see if that helps. Healthy fats, of course, not extra fried junk.

For inside the nostrils, if there is a food-grade oil that you tolerate (olive oil, safflower oil, etc), try coating the area with a little oil on a fingertip. Don't try to spray it up higher into your nose, though.

Getting adequate liquids, esp. just plain water, is important for keeping the mucosa from drying -- esp. in warm weather.

Try steaming to moisturize higher in the nasal/sinus passages. Keep a lookout for preservative -free or preservative-acceptable saline nasal sprays. Some of the gentlest ones might be found in the infant care section of a department store. The effect doesn't last as long as natural mucous, but can be soothing.

Examine your diet for excess caffeine & alcohol, which can be dehydrating. Even excess starch, without liquid to balance, dehydrates.

Is there any chance that your nose is reacting to an airborne allergen (pet, pollen, mold, etc) -- have you had testing? Make sure the tissues you are using are unscented & uncolored, as those factors have been known to cause itching & burning.

Best wishes.
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

You might try bumping up your fats a little, and also consider essential fatty acids, like from Evening Primrose Oil and/or fish oils -- the balance is very important.

Another possibility is that your adrenal glands are 'exhausted'. They help balance electrolytes like sodium, potassium, etc. -- so that you stay hydrated.

And of course most drugs can cause dry mouth and even dry eyes and skin...

Best regards,

p.s. Just saw your mention of possibly having a problem with EPO. You might try stopping one or the other for a couple of weeks -- just try flax for a week or two, then stop for a week, then try EPO for a couple weeks. They're both actually quite different, so one or the other might be causing a problem. And like snooz said, even safflower or maybe sesame oil rubbed inside your nose might help. ???[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2009]
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Saline Nasal Gel, you say? I'll have to check that out. New to me.

Thanks for the tip!
  5. meshyfox

meshyfox New Member

I have had allergies since I was a kid many moons ago; I finally started taking Quercetin for other reasons, and it has made a huge difference for my allergies! I also have difficulty with prescribed meds, so I treat most of my symptoms naturally; used to take Zyrtec but it gave me back pain because it dried me out. Normally this time of year I am miserable, this is the worst time for me; but I take a Quercetin/Bromelain complex (250 mg/125mg capsules) -two capsules three times a day between meals (on an empty stomach); and my allergy and irritated nasal symptoms are almost non-existent; another suggestion is Hyaluronic Acid; it has helped my joint pain and my skin. If you want a good natural moisturizer, try Emu oil...

You also may want to check on any environmental problems, like fungus and molds, which can really irritate the sinuses and mucous membranes. Good luck.
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

for shelbo
  7. shelbo

shelbo New Member

use? Thanks and thanks everyone else for your replies! :) Shelbo
  8. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

The saline solution has a moisturizer in it and helps me a lot.
  9. meshyfox

meshyfox New Member

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner; haven't been on the web. The Quercitin Bromelain I use is Doctor's Best; the Hyaluronic Acid is NSI brand; I get both at VitaCost which has good discounts; perhaps ProHealth also has discounts, I haven't checked them out yet.
  10. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

have you thought about purchasing a humidifier?? get somemoisture

in the air, may help with the dryness.. Maybe a biggger unit for the

entire home, then get a little one for your bedroom, just put it on an end

table or somewhere close to you so you will inhale some of that

moisture... I think they make one to use with vick vapor rub... if you can tolerate than menthol

I have chronic sinusitis, always runny nose, itchy, coughing from

congestion...ughh what else can we get!!

hope you find something that works for you rainbow
  11. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

that may help with the allergens... air purifier.. Maybe find these

things on ebay or craigslist.. I know we arent all made out money :(
  12. Holly-Admin

Holly-Admin Administrator

We have a new product called Activated Nasal Mist that you might want to check out. It uses all-natural ingredients to cleanse and moisturize nasal passages:

We also carry Quercetin/Bromelain Complex:

and Hyaluronic Acid:

as mentioned by other members.

Hope that info helps!

13. BethM

BethM New Member

A couple of suggestions, along with what others have mentioned:

Alba makes Un-Petroleum Jelly, very nice for dry irritated noses and lips.

Pure, unprocessed shea butter is also very soothing and moisturizing. I've been stuffing it into nearly empty lip balm containers, and using it when I need lip balm. I've yet to have any negative reactions to it. It does have a mild odor, but I don't mind it, and it dissipates quickly. Shea butter also has some sunscreen properties, and mild antibacterial properties also. Make sure it is pure, unprocessed, with no additives.

I also use a neti pot for nasal washing. Helps wash out irritants and allergens, bacteria and viruses.

hope this helps.
    PS. It's best to use a cotton tipped swab to put anything in your nose, to avoid introducing anything that might be on your fingers.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2009]