Does anyone know what exactly these painful lumps are??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Sep 19, 2009.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi, I have severe Fibromyalgia, myofascial syndrome and was wondering if anyone truely knows what these very painful lumps are ? My Dr. just says its the fibro but id like to know what they made of???I have them in my back, arms chest area right now but they can show up anywhere and are soooo sore. I try to rub them out and sometimes it helps some and other times nothing. Morhine doesnt do anything to help the pain. I just wondered if anyone has had them biopsied (spelling?) or what do you do for them. I am so tired of hurting, its exhausting to be in pain so much, as Im sure you all know. God Bless each of you
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had FM for over 20 years, and no one could ever tell me what those lumps were except that they were knoted muscles. The only thing that helps me is to use a strong rub, I use Banalg, and have some one really rub hard to get them to release. Then you get some relief.

But that won't stop them from forming again! Its relief, but no cure.

I gave up long ago on pain pills, they did me more harm than good, and I only took them a short time.

What does help for sleep (I am very allergic to drugs, so what I say is usually alternative/herbs/vitamines the only med I take is Xanax), is .05mg of Xanax, ZMA (zinc,magnesium, and vitamine B-6) 2 capsuls before bed, and 1-2 ounces of Melatonin, also before bed. It takes the ZMA about two weeks to work for you, but it does help.

For the FM pain, I will take a bath in very warm water;

2 cups of Epson Salts (magnesium sulfate)

3 bottles of household peroxide (32 ounce bottles)

soak for 20 minutes ONLY, then go to bed for half an hour or more, it makes you feel weak after you get out of the bath, have the bed warm, I use a heating pad on the worst pain and to warm the bed.

Hope this helps a little, I know how much despair there is in suffering from FM. Its like you are going around in a circle and can't get out of it!

Take care of yourself, and blessings going your way..............

Shalom, Shirl

3. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I feel for you.

I've had severe fibro. too for many years. If what you are describing is the same painful knots I get in my muscles, my physical therapist said they are knots that contain lactic acid (I think I spelled that right).

Lactic acid is the impurities that build up in those knots and make them hurt so. My PT would gently massage them out. She said that I was to drink lots of water during this therapy so as to wash the impurities out of my system.

Maybe someone else here can give you more information. I know those are painful little buggers. Did you ever see a physical therapist for this? You'd need to choose one who is experienced with Fibromyalgia treatment, and not all are.

I hope this helps.

4. loto

loto Member

but i don't know what you call them either. But my massage therapist said they are build ups of something (i can't remember what he called them), and to also drink lots and lots of water after I would get the deep tissue massages. He also said they would wash out all the junk he had just massaged out.
    He specialized in myofascial massage. I'd go once a week at first and get hour long deep tissue massages. It would hurt so bad when he'd "dig into" those sore lumpy spots! But, he had to do it so they'd disolve, and the next day I'd feel so much better. Anyway, I haven't been able to go in a while due to current expenses, but it did help me a lot.

5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I believe the massage therapy is called myofacial release. That's the same treatment the physical therapist used on me. It's used for myofacial pain syndrome. Excellent treatment.

6. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

trigger points, which differ greatly from tender points;the following is from wikipedia, but you can find information on them by "googling" tps. I suffer from these (have them from back of head, neck to buttocks) and massage therapy is the best thing for it, however if you can't afford that you can get a tennis ball and rub them out yourself. I have an excellent book that discusses these in depth:

Trigger points or trigger sites are described as hyperirritable spots in skeletal muscle that are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers. Trigger point researchers believe that palpable nodules are small contraction knots and a common cause of pain. Compression of a trigger point may elicit local tenderness, referred pain, or local twitch response. The local twitch response is not the same as a muscle spasm. This is because a muscle spasm refers to the entire muscle entirely contracting whereas the local twitch response also refers to the entire muscle but only involves a small twitch, no contraction.

The trigger point model states that unexplained pain frequently radiates from these points of local tenderness to broader areas, sometimes distant from the trigger point itself. Practitioners claim to have identified reliable referred pain patterns, allowing practitioners to associate pain in one location with trigger points elsewhere. Many chiropractors and massage therapists find the model useful in practice, but the medical community at large has not embraced trigger point therapy. Although trigger points do appear to be an observable phenomenon with defined properties, there is a lack of a consistent methodology for diagnosing trigger points[1] and a dearth of theory explaining how trigger points arise and why they produce specific referred pain patterns.

The term "trigger point" was coined in 1942 by Dr. Janet Travell to describe a clinical finding with the following characteristics:

Pain related to a discrete, irritable point in skeletal muscle or fascia, not caused by acute local trauma, inflammation, degeneration, neoplasm or infection.
    The painful point can be felt as a tumor or band in the muscle, and a twitch response can be elicited on stimulation of the trigger point.
    Palpation of the trigger point reproduces the patient's complaint of pain, and the pain radiates in a distribution typical of the specific muscle harboring the trigger point.
    The pain cannot be explained by findings on neurological examination.

I hope you find relief soon!
  7. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

It takes more energy to relax a muscle than to tighten one. FM (ME) often has the mitochondria (energy center of each cell) damaged, so a temporary fix is to use Ribose. 5 grams TIB (3X daily).

My mom finds help with Light Relief. It helped her so much, she bought me one. Sunlight is the best "light relief", but whatever you choose is fine.

Magnesium can help relax stiff muscles. Try an epsom salt bath. Take an magnesium supplement daily. I like Calm by Natural Vitality. the Lemon-Raspberry flavor is great.

LEFTYGG Member

get Clair Davies bookThe Trigger Point Therapy Workbook it shows how they cause pain elsewhere.

im working on mine very painfuland timeconsuming but no other option
  9. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

you Lefty, that is the book I was referring to in my post! Also, the FM/CMP Survival Manual, 2nd edition is awesome, written by the same author. to the original poster, please try to get some deep tissue massage, right now due to the economy the price has gone down considerably, and the benefits are enormous (sp) -I used to win spelling bees, *sigh* Anyways, to Jinlee, I too have had tp injections, one time I got 12 in one setting! I also had an allergic reaction, which as you know, was not pleasant! I won't do them anymore, the pain is too excruciating (gee, I can remember to spell that!) and the benefits to me were not worth it. Anyways, good luck to all of us knotty ppl, it's terrible to deal with these awful buggers!
    Wishing everyone a pain free day,