Does anyone know which herpes virus is shingles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ruby711, Sep 7, 2006.

1. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I just had a recurrent episode of shingles in a mild form. I am wondering if this is hhv-6A. If not does anyone know which virus hhv-6a is and which virus is the chickenpox/shingles virus-(i.e.the letters & numbers)
    ruby
  2. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

varicella zoster virus is the virus for shingles.
    I had it about 10 years ago on my face and through my eye.
    It was terrible. They said it could cause blindness in the affected eye. It turned out ok, no lasting effects.
    The medicine was as bad, it made me sick.

Cathy
  3. SteveInOZ

SteveInOZ New Member

There are eight types of viruses in this family known to cause disease in humans. These viruses are (HHV stands for human herpesviruses):

HHV-1 = HSV-1 (herpes simplex virus 1): causes oral and/or genital herpes (predominantly orofacial)

HHV-2 = HSV-2 (herpes simplex virus 2): causes oral and/or genital herpes (predominantly genital)

HHV-3 = VZV (varicella zoster virus): causes chickenpox and shingles

HHV-4 = EBV (Epstein-Barr virus), lymphocryptovirus: causes infectious mononucleosis, Burkitt's lymphoma and nasopharyngeal carcinoma

HHV-5 = CMV (cytomegalovirus): causes infectious mononucleosis, retinitis, etc.

HHV-6 = Human B-cell lymphotrophic virus or roseolovirus: causes "sixth disease" (known as roseola infantum or exanthem subitum)

HHV-7 = closely related to HHV-6; causes roughly the same symptoms

HHV-8 = a type of rhadinovirus = KSHV = Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus: causes Kaposi's sarcoma, primary effusion lymphoma and some types of multicentric Castleman's disease
  4. tscattaglia

tscattaglia New Member

I made a copy of the listed ones I appreciate it stevie
  5. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

Thanks so much for your message. It is just what I wanted to know. I will print out info. I don't hear much about the hhv-6a although it is mentioned as a poss. connection to cfs in the cfs research bulletin that I just received.
    Thanks again for all messages.
    ruby