DOES ANYONE KNOW????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sola, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sola

sola New Member

As crazy as this sounds...does anyone know if certain foods you eat can affect your depression? I can't understand what makes me go through these moods.... I was fine for about three weeks now...and I am depressed all over again..... I try to think positive and I go back to the negative thoughts....
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Plus you have to consider emotional changes.

It's no big deal, just go with the flow.

Keep posting here and you'll get your answers.

Dan
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Especially if you have food intolerances, they will wreak havoc on your body and cuase all kinds of freaky weird symptoms. Depression, sure. Try eliminating the main culprits from your diet, either one at a time or all at once and add them back one by one to see. They are dairy, gluten (in wheat and oats), eggs, nuts (esp. peanuts), corn and soy (in lotsa stuff, even Jiff peanut butter). There are other possibilities but these are the main ones that come to mind. Especially wheat and dairy. I can't touch them.

Sugary and high carb food can be feeding candida in your body. If it proliferates and takes over, you will get tired and maybe depressed, too. And then there's stuff like msg and aspartame or nutrasweet that are notorious for effects on the brain. Start reading pages about food intolerance. And eat lots of veggies. They have things in them you need and when you're eating veggies, you aren't eating any of the crappy stuff you could be eating instead. I eat veggies at every meal, about 6 times a day. My diet is extremely restricted right now: veggies, rice, beans, apples and grapes. But I've got liver difficulties and other GI things.

Try keeping a food diary, also, to try and narrow down mood changes.

happy xmas!

karen
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My daughter is studying dietetics. I have "drug resistant" depression. So she tells me tidbits as she learns stuff. Trytophan is used to make Serotonin in the brain. Good sources are Turkey [bacon, sausage, hotdogs], cashews [honey roasted...mmm] dairy milk and bananas.

I'm allergic to milk, so this ones out for me.

Lots of good news about green tea, L-Theanine relaxes with out making you feel sleepy, boosts the immune system.

Viruses breathe sugar, so only eat complex carbs.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Oh, _absolutely_ foods can cause depression. That's not crazy at all. If you have food allergies, they can trigger all kinds of symptoms. My big "depression food" is corn. (Other foods have other allergic symptoms. For instance, dairy makes me congested and tired, oranges make my face puffy, etc.)

I think if anybody has bad feelings of any sort hit them sort of out the blue (as opposed to as a result of too much overexertion etc.), food allergies should be suspected. If it happens once in a while, it could be that your body is fighting off some kind of virus. But if you're finding it's happening on a regular basis (every few days or more often), food allergies are a very big possibility for CFS sufferers.

I started a thread on food allergies maybe a month ago. Let me see if I can find it and bump it up to the top of the board for you.