Does anyone live in Alaska or visited there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atiledsner, Jun 2, 2006.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I would love to visit Alaska.Just wondered if anyone could share any information with me.
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hello! I went to Alaska on a cruise about 12 years ago. We did the typical cruise route of what is called the Inner Passage (at sea), and on land we went to Sitka. If you enjoy the outdoors, nature, and wildlife you will love Alaska. I would love to go back and spend more time on land. Well, that was just some very basic info, but I hope it gets you psyched to go!
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I also went on a cruise down the Inside Passage in Alaska. Mine was two years ago.

Some friends and I flew to Anchorage, and then took a seven day cruise to Sitka, Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchikan, and finished in Vancouver.

It rained a lot of the time, but the scenery was glorious: glaciers, whales, eagles...

I took a float plane flight into Misty Fjords National Monument and landed on a lake in the mountains.

I'm stuck in the house for the most part now, but Alaska has left me with great memories.

Kholmes
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

My best friend from college lived in Bethel AK for 5 years. Bethel is about 500 miles west of Anchorage, on the Yukon-Kuskokwim river delta.

Bethel is on the tundra, and the river is it's lifesblood. Frozen from Oct. / Nov. to breakup in May. Most supplies are flown in and flown out by bush pilots.

I fell in love with Alaska when I was there. If I could have gotten a job there, I might have moved - BUT, knowing what I now know I'm glad I didn't - otherwise I would never have met my husband. I met him when I came back from my trip!!

My girlfriend's boyfriend at the time was Athabascan (sp) and I got a ride up to several of the bush villages nearby on the river.

Sled dog racing is very big there - lots of people raise dogs - every one knows the Iditarod race, but in Bethel, the big race is the Yukon-Kuskokwim 500.

I got to go on a bush flight down to a couple other villages and camping/fishing drop offs and over the Bering Sea. I was on a 10-seater DeHavilland Twin Otter. We landed on a landing strip that was about as long as my driveway - you had to turn the plane around to take off!

You haven't lived until you've had REAL Alaskan salmon - fresh or even dried and smoked from a fish camp. I also had moose-meat stew (not as good as the fish) at a potlatch and dance.

It is a beautiful state - a jewel of the United States. I am greatful I had the opportunity to visit.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

For a fun trip, I would recommend the train trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks. It takes all day, but you could stop off in Denali Park and break up your trip. In Denali, you could do a bus tour inside the park and see bear, moose, caribou, Dall sheep and more moose. We used to have moose in our yard all of the time...they love to eat broccoli and cauliflower, usually the day before you are planning to pick it! We did have some moose stew though (revenge!) and it was very good.

I hope you get to visit Alaska- only go in the summer (for obvious reasons!). Terri
  6. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I am definitely going to go. I talked to a friend today about joining me, she's all for it.

I've never had fresh salmon.

Any more must haves? Tell me Tell me.

If you were going back what would you do that you didn't before? Thanks Dianne
  7. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

King salmon in June is the best in the world...it is SOOOO good!

If I were you, I'd include some kind of ferry trip in your schedule. Go to Skagway or Haines (both are fun) and ride the ferry to Juneau. It is so relaxing, and you might see whales.

Let us know when you go!
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member