Does anyone live in Germany near Spang AF Base?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

My grandaughter is leaving for Germany next Sat and I know some here are from Germany so I was just curious. Her Dh is in the AF.

They are looking for a house and everything to go in it and wondered if anyone knew of some places to start out. Do they have second hand shops, flea market things? They aren't buying new as they plan to leave everything when they come back to the states when his tour is over. So any suggestions- Carla
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

A site for expats in Germany. Interviews with expats and other stuff.

Here's a Yahoo group:

Welcome to the 726th AMS Spouses' Web group located in Spangdahlem AB and Bitburg Annex, Germany!

This group is designed to support the efforts of all personnel associated with the squadron as well as promote the social and cultural awareness of our host nation and base wide activities. We are passionate about our mission and the interests of all members. This group is intended to supplement the monthly spouses meetings and pass information along between meetings. Please do not hesitate to attend the meetings or ask questions on this site. We are here to support each other and ease the transition for those PCS’ing into the squadron.

Hope this helps.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2009]
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

Thank you so much, I will give this to my grandaughter. She is excited and nervous too, 18 going off to Europe on a new journey. I hope this helps make it a good one.

How are you doing, I have not been able to come here as muc since my GD came back in my life, and have been in a flare for awhile, just did too much but it was so worth it to see my girl married to a really great guy.

Thanks so much for finding this out for me. I hope your mite issues are fianlly resolved. Peace back- Carla
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's so good to see an opportunity to be a little bit helpful, isn't it. (I know you totally get this.) So, I was delighted!

These grown-up kids can take a lot of love and time and... I know, I've got 4 grown-up kids.

Congratulations on the wedding. I did look at the pic.s. What a beautiful girl and they make a lovely couple. I got married, the first time, at 19. I thought I was so grown up but it was pretty overwhelming, too.

I was very happy to see the Yahoo spouse group! They are not super busy but there were 5 new messages in the last 7 days which isn't bad at all for summer and all she really needs is the connection.

I don't think they are mites, after all. And, no, they're not gone. Crazy!

Take care of Carla!
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

Oh I am sorry to hear the critters are still there, I can't imagine what it has been like for your and your family, freinds.

They are a cute couple, but he is in in commuications and not the planes so it may not be the right one but I know he will find her something.

I still watch the wedding video every few days, it just makes me feel good. and I love watching them cut the cake. Thanks for your help and am sending peace and good energy your way- Hugs-Carla
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hi and good to see you again....

Your grand daughter can also look up the Stars and Stripes online and see the things that are for sale there.

Her hubby might know about the military SITES online web site that has descriptions of each base and all the information such as phone numbers and info for newcomers as well.

And yes, we all have Thrift stores....ours is packed full of stuff right now due to all the people moving. People have yard sales all the time and often have nice things to get rid of like the 220 appliances but if they're living on base, they won't need them.

Not sure about other places in Germany but we used to have a day in Germany when everyone got rid of their unwanted furniture and stuff by just setting it outside by the curb. It was called 'Junking Day' about some wonderful stuff!!

This was a tradition here, Germans don't want you to think they need money for their things so they don't sell them. They just set them curbside. (still goes back to the war era)

Unfortunately, too many (dare I say foreigners?) were using this as a business and taking all of the good stuff to resell at Flea Markets. Junk was left to fly around such as papers and plastic bags so they put an end to it.

But I live in a high end area in Stuttgart and sometimes you can really get lucky. They put their things curb side so the gov't will come to your door to take it away for you, but yet it's till free while it's sitting outside.

Let me know if you have any more questions that I can help you with.

7. ckball

ckball New Member

How are you doing? How is your daughter? Thanks for the info, she said they found a craigslist, I wonder if they have a freecycle too? They don't want to invest a lot of money, one they don't have it, two they will leave it when they come back to the states.

Wow that is interesting about them giving stuff away instead of selling it. I like to "dumpster dive" lol- you never know what you may find, one persons trash.....

Thanks for replying and glad to see you, I hope things are goind smoothly for you. As I said to Rafiki, I jsut have not been able to keep up lately. Having my GD back has been great and she gets all my extra time and my dogs, they know when I am sick and try to take advantage of me, so they need extra attention too to keep them in line-lol- Thanks again-Carla
  8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

But the University of Maryland has had classes in Germany for dependents......perhaps your grandaughter still has time for some fall semester classes. Cheers, mr Bill
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm doing fairly well and my daughter's doing really well finally. The last hospitalization was the key, she's been properly dx and her meds are working.

With both of us, it's always one thing after another though and she just had surgery done for her elbow. Luckily her doc didn't blow her off when she explained the pain and hopefully the surgery will alleviate the problems she's been having, since she has Fibro too. I just took her today to get her stitches out. She's handled all of this and the looming divorce really well.

I'm hangin in there as always.....good to hear from you as always!

10. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks Bill I didn't know that, but she is already in enrolled in a online course, she is taking CAD classes for interior design. Hope things are well for you and no more lions chasing you on your bike. Our lion was spotted again a few weeks ago.

Nancy that is great about your daughter, I know you sure have had your share of problems, glad she has been properly dxs now.

Where in Germany are you in relation to Spang? I am planning a trip in the spring, I plan to stay about 2 weeks since I can stay with her. Then we will take the train to Paris for a few days. Now all I have to do is find someone to take care of my dogs for 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help- Hang in there- both of you- Carla
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got some good info to pass along to you granddaughter, Carla. If
    you are going to Deutschland, you will probably want to learn a few words of
    Deutsch. Here are some I remember from 2 wasted years of German over half
    a century ago.

Vogel means bird.
    Zimmer means room.
    Lohengrin means opera.
    Oom-pa-pa means polka.
    Acht! means What the...

Rafiki, still having problems w/ those critters? I just read two books on
    exploration: Africa and South America. Seems the worst torments the
    explorers suffered were bugs and leeches.

12. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

but someone introduced American raccoons to Germany. Very invasive there, and not popular. I think the nick name for raccoons is "American rats". Cheers, mr Bill

Oh, I think your daughter will have a good tour. Everyone at the Air Base will have once been in the same new situation as she, and will be helpful and friendly.

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2009]