DOES ANYONE LIVE IN SARASOTA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beamurto, Dec 17, 2002.

1. beamurto

beamurto New Member

Our family has done some thinking recently and have come up with a plan to buy a second home in Sarasota.

As I have said in my other posts about FMS and SAD, the symptoms are worse during the grey cold and damp winter here in the UK.

We think my daughter with FM (I have one other daughter too), would benefit from sunshine. What better place than Sarasota.

We have visited the US many times, including Longboat Key, but didn't spend any time downtown.

Any comments on the way of life in Sarasota and the residential areas to look at (those where housing isn't astronomical that is), would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a support group in this area?

Gentle hugs to all, Belinda.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2002]
  2. beamurto

beamurto New Member

THANKS SO MUCH FOR GETTING BACK TO ME. I APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME.

I LOOK FORWARD TO ANY MORE POSTS.

CHEERIO FOR NOW.
  3. Elobet

Elobet New Member

I live in Dunedin, Fl which is RIGHT NEXT to clearwater, just north of sarasota. I am newly diagnosed with FM and have yet to find a support group. If you have anymore questions just ask, Ive been stuck here all my life (27 years), not that im complaining lol. Good luck & take care!!! ~Elobet
  4. Dawnt

Dawnt Member

I have a real hard time with cold. And even though the last few days have been cold here, it's still better then putting up with it all winter.

I have been going to an Ayurvedic Doctor in Sarasota. The treatments she has given me has done nothing short of a miracle for me. I still have some bad days but I am no longer on medication EVERY day, I still have to take it on the real bad days.

The Southwest side of Florida is beautiful and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Ft Myers and especially Cape Coral are beautiful and have reasonable housing in nice areas. The job market in Florida isn't the greatest though. I would definately check your pay status and how needed your profession is here. You may be disappointed.

Dawn
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I was in Florida for 6 weeks this past summer as I was trying to relocate there secondary to this horrible disease and the New England winters exacerbating this disease. We ended up in Port Charlotte ( one hour south of Sarasota) but unable to get jobs to support ourselves. I LOVED the Florida heat. Even in the summer! It was great for my fibro and back, neck pain. Siesta Key Beach near Sarasota has got to be one of the nicest beaches in the world. Most real estate is reasonable down there if you don't have to locate a job to support yourself. Good luck. dolsgirl
  6. opala

opala New Member

I live on the east coast about 2 (?) hours away from Sarasota in DeLand. I haven't been able to tell for sure yet, but it seems to me like the cold weather we've been having has made the symptoms worse.

I will know better when the hot weather comes back, but I can tell you that Florida is pretty great when you get away from the theme park areas.

--Michelle
  7. karmadharma

karmadharma New Member

I was just reading this old post and wondered if you would give an update about your Aryuvedic doctor and how you are doing. If you have had success, would you please share the name of the doctor, as I live in Sarasota as well. Thanks and I hope you are feeling well.
  8. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I lived there for 25 years. I went to elementary, middle and high school, married, and gave birth to two kids there. My family is still in Sarasota, and I miss them incredibly. The cost of living is pretty high if you are trying to raise a family though. It is a beautiful area with rich culture. As far as FM doctors go..I wasn't diagnosed until I moved away so I cannot judge on that.

As far as housing goes, it really depends on what your price range is. Terribly expensive is Siesta Key, Prestancia, Bent Tree, etc. Reasonable is Gulf Gate or South Gate area. I hope this helps.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have expensive and inexpensive housing and everything in between. Jobs are the major problem here. Tourism is the leading industry and the jobs are services jobs with low pay. Even non tourism-related jobs are low paying. They pay secretaries here what they were paying them in Denver 20 years ago. Sales is about the only lucrative job one can find here.

On the plus side, there is no state income tax and it costs very little to license a car. Other costs of living are pretty comparable to most other places.

I live in South Fort Myers about 1 1/2 hours south of Sarasota. I decided on this town because it was between Naples and Port Charlotte and is a working town. I figured I would have a better chance of making a living here than most anyplace along this coast. I did well as an insurance agent.

Love, Mikie
  10. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

but I have family, dear Uncle Ted and Aunt Dee from Siesta Key. I could ask them questions if need be.
    Tibbie