Does Anyone Live In SW Georgia? How Does the Weather Affecct You

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

To anyone who answers!

My friend lives in LaGrange, about an hour away from the airport. I absolutely love it there. My visits have always been in the early months of the year.

I was there several weeks ago and couldn't believe how good I felt. It was wonderful. After living in NC, I do know how the late spring, summer and early fall are. HUMID and HOT!

We live in the NE Indiana area, and the weather plays havoc with my body. The lack of sun, even in the summer, can be depressing. I keep thinking of how nice it was and how much better my body felt!

My husband, and I, have given some thought to selling our cottage at the lake and possibly buying a small bungalow in the area. Basically., to use as a 'winter' home to see if my Fibro is better in the winter and early spring months, than the area we are in.

Hubby's job is flexible. As long as there is an airport near, he is good to go.

I appreciate your replies!

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I live about 30 minutes from Lagrange. It is raining and raining here! Seems like it will never stop! I hope it does not freeze tonight! Mostly the news on the last week has been about the passing of Coretta Scott King. I wish I weren't so sick, I'd have loved to go to one of the viewings held for her. Oh well, they have had quite a bit of coverage on the news. It is so sad.
    Kellyann
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I appreciate your responses!

How does your body respond to the weather? Mainly Dec., thru April?

Thank you!

Kim
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been looking in Rome and Athens but haven't found a place to buy. Both towns seem so nice. Next time I go up, I'm going to look to the west and south. I think I'll also check the areas around Savannah.

I live in SW Florida and it's really a good place for me. I may just stay put. I do miss my little grandson. It's about a nine hour drive from here to Atlanta.

It's no hotter nor more humid here in the summer than in Atlanta. It's just that our hot, humid weather lasts six months. And then there's the little matter of hurricanes. I just got through finally fixing the damage from Hurricane Charley.

I wish you luck whatever you decide to do.

Love, Mikie
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you! You gave me the info I needed!

I keep calling it SW Georgia, but it is an hour SW of Atlanta! LOL Hopefully, close enough!

The winters are not my friend, here in Indiana! No matter what I do, the aches and pains are still here. That darn barometer makes me insane! More so than usual!

If we could 'winter' somewhere for several months, I believe the weather and the SUN would benefit me emotionally and physically.

I made reservations to see my Mom while she is in Panama Beach City. A long weekend, will do us both good. This is the first time she has been to FL since my Dad died. She went with my aunt and uncle.

Hopefully, I Will see some more sun!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all!

Kim
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so far south here that most of the cold fronts don't affect us. We do get a few rare cloudy days with rain and drizzle. It's mostly when the jet stream takes a serious dip south and pushes weather fronts our way. I think that between the heat, humidity, nice balmy breezes, and lack of weather fronts, it keeps the climate from being a problem for me. Someone else might move here, though, and it wouldn't agree with her. We are all so different.

It's so expensive anymore to buy down here. The days of living cheap in FL are pretty much over. One reason for me to stay is because I've had a homestead exemption which goes back almost nine years, so my taxes are lower.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything.

Love, Mikie
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Your climate is more alluring than Indianas! LOL

We talked about possibly renting a condo in GA for a month, if we can find on. Also, we have thought about trying the same in NC. After living in Raleigh, NC, I know I don't tolerate the late spring thru early fall.

Good luck with your decision! I know you will arrive at the one best for you.

I am happy you are feeling better Mikie!

Love,

Kim
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

We do have state taxes in Indiana. For us, that wouldn't be different from what we know.

Thanks for giving me the 'heads up'! It would have been nice if Georgia didn't have the tax! LOL

Kim
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm still feeling well and just can't believe how good it feels. I wish the same for everyone.

Yes, FL has all the tourists paying the heavy hotel and entertainment taxes which allows us not to have a state income tax. Also, the licensing and ownership taxes on cars is cheap. It's expensive to license a new car in GA but here, it's really cheap. I paid less than $100 to license my new car here three years ago. GA is about the same as CO and SC. It's $600 to $700 typically, depending on the area.

I have electric heat and cooling and my bills are really cheap too. Last month, my util. bill was $55. In the summer when I'm running the A/C, it's about $85.

I guess, despite the sharp increase in the cost of housing, FL is still a bargain in many ways.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie