Does anyone not have 1/2 moons on their fingernails?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jsshutt, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

most normal people do, but those with our conditions seem to have none except on their thumbs?
    Anyone know why? I looked at my husband's last night (healthy as a horse) and sure enough, perfect 1/2 moons on all fingernails. Mine? None!
  2. amejia

amejia New Member

I never noticed that but it is true, my bf has them on all his fingers.. How strange...

Ang
  3. mariee

mariee Member

How interesting...
    I have 1/4 moons on thumbs...none on rest of fingers...
    I always wondered about this.
    Years ago, a manicurist noticed this.
    I will be checking on this one...
    I have a feeling if we keep checking out weird patterns, we may come up w/ a solution here one day.
    marie
  4. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Mine are on my thumbs, but then on my other fingers I have them but they are very small. That is very interesting....I am going to do a survey of my office. Nancy
  5. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Hi - My informal office survey indicates that most people here do NOT have the half moons on their nails. So then that got us all talking and I found this on the internet:

Our fingernails are a window to our bodies' health. Changes in the look, shape, or color of our finger nails can indicate a disorder or a disease somewhere in our body.
    Our fingernails are a window to our bodies' health. Changes in the look, shape, or color of our finger nails can indicate a disorder or a disease somewhere in our body long before other symptoms show up. For example, white fingernails can indicate that you have anemia or kidney problems. Pitted brown spots or splits fingernail tips may mean you have psoriasis.

This article will tell of some other diseases and disorders that our fingernails can warn us about so we can go see a doctor for further evaluation.

Our fingernails are made of protein, keratin and sulfur. They grow about .05 to 1.2 millimeters a week. Nail differences or abnormalities are often the outcome of nutritional deficiencies or disorders. Seek medical attention if any of the following symptoms are suspected.

White fingernails with pink near the tops are a sign of cirrhosis of the liver. Moreover, when the entire nail is white it could mean kidney or liver disorders or anemia.

White lines across the nail may also indicate liver disease. A half white nail with dark spots on the tip could indicate a kidney disorder.

Abnormally thick nails might be due to the blood not circulating properly in the vascular system.

Yellow nails can mean there are problems with your liver, diabetes, respiratory disorders or problems with the lymphatic system. Yellow nails can occur many years before the disorder shows up.

Dark nails that are flat and/ or thin are a sign of vitamin B(12) deficiency. Sometimes the nail could even be spoon shaped.

Brittle nails are a sign of iron deficiency and thyroid problems. You could have impaired kidneys or problems with circulation.

Nails that are very bendable could be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis.

Pitted brown spots or split fingernail tips may mean you have psoriasis.

Very deep blue nail beds can indicate pulmonary obstruction or emphysema.

Nails that crack, peel and chip easily mean you need more protein and minerals in your diet.
    CHECK IT OUT>>>>
    Brittle, soft nails with a shine and no moon may indicate an overactive thyroid. Nails that separate from the nail bed could also indicate a thyroid disorder. Ridges in the nail could mean an infection, or thyroid disorder. Nails that are like a bumpy road can indicate a thyroid disorder too.

Nails that resemble hammered brass indicate a tendency toward partial or total hair loss.

Nail bending is a sign of rheumatoid arthritis.

Flat nails can indicate Raynaud’s disease. This disease affects the circulatory system, which in turn affects the limbs. It leaves hands and feet continually cold.

Unusually wide nails that are square can mean a hormonal disorder.

Red skin at the very bottom of your nail bed could indicate a connective tissue disorder.

Changes in your fingernails may signify disorders somewhere else in your body, so pay close attention to your fingernails and those of your loved ones.

Nancy
  6. fllfibro2003

fllfibro2003 New Member

Wow - I didn't know our nails could tell so much!!

I've always had brittle nails that split and bend but I've never really noticed the 1/2 moon, or lack of in my case.

Thanks again for the info.

FLlfibro
  7. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

Do most of the people in your office feel tired and achy or have some sort of immune disorder?
    :)
    I bet they are mostly woman who are middle aged and may have weight problems or hormonal imbalances.
    That makes sense about the hormonal changes affecting the half moons. I am going to examine the nails of every really healthy people I meet. Hope it doesnt get me in trouble...
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Nails are very important in signaling us to problems. If you have ever had surgery and your nails were painted they probably took off the polish on at least one hand before you went into surgery. I had them take it off on the way into the operating room. The doc needs to see the nail bed to see if it changes color. If it turns bluish they know you are not getting enough oxygen.

"Flat nails can indicate Raynaud’s disease. This disease affects the circulatory system, which in turn affects the limbs. It leaves hands and feet continually cold. "

Yup! I was first diagnosed with Raynaud's syndrome when I was 16. One of the indicators was my flat nails. Still have them! Made it hard when I wore fake nails because they didn't keep the curve of the tips they used and they pulled up.

I half moons on most of my nails, I believe that is a normal condition and doesn't indicate a problem. Most people do have them at least on their thumbs. I would have them on all my nails if I kept my cuticles pushed back like I'm supposed to!

"Red skin at the very bottom of your nail bed could indicate a connective tissue disorder."

My nail beds are red at the bottom (even the ones with moons are red around the moons) and pink in the middle, then red again toward the tips. I do have a connective tissue disorder, adhesions on the fascia of my muscles.

My nails are very strong since we started Atkins 18 months ago. Before that I never got them grown out past the tips of my fingers. Now I have to cut them every couple weeks.

So, yes, your nails are very good indicators of general health and can warn of potential health problems. This is another thing we should educate our selves on and bring up to our doctors.

Hugs!!

9. catlin

catlin New Member

nails have had vertical ridges for years....
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

Can't say it is anything I ever noticed before!

Smal (1/4) moons on thumbs only. Will be checking out the office when they get back from lunch.

Update: Of the six people (including myself) in the office, only the two men had clear, substantial moons on all fingernails. All four women had thumb moons and the other three besides myself had one to three very small, light moons on some of the others fingers, but none of the other women had them on all of the fingernails.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2004]
  11. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

For nails to look ? Mine are white in the middle area kinda pink at the end and the cuticle. I have small 1/4 moons a couple of fingers don't have any. Can anyone translate these ??? This is neat info though.
  12. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

You had me giggling over describing all the women in my office!! Can you see us??? Incidentally, I surveyed both men and women, all races, so scientific or not, no one in my office is healthy:)

I have always used my nails as part of the checkpoint for my thyroid...I have an underactive thyroid and when it is out of whack, my nails get very weak, brittle and they split. When my meds are adjusted with in a couple of weeks they are stronger. My doctor thinks I am NUTS but obviously the nails are a window into our body and she's nuts!

N
  13. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

Also, but since I have been on meds for Fibro they are stronger I have to trim them down. When before I could never get them to grow. Its odd.
  14. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I've never had half moons on my nails. I have ridges. You can see lines down all of my fingernails. I have very, very small hands and very small fingers and fingernails. They just have hard ridges. Hmmmm?

BxGirl
  15. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I also have no moons, except slightly on my thumbs. From memmory I don't think that I ever had moons.

Very interesting point here, althoughI wander what it means.

I notice from the info above that no moons is supposed to indicate high thyroid. If anything I am low thyroid ,(hypothyroid), as I believe a lot of FM people are.

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to more responses about this
  16. joyegail

joyegail New Member

i also have the moons only on the thumbnails, and i have the ridges. Also, until recently, my nails have always been very bendable, also splitting and breaking very easily.

Deb
  17. tilla

tilla New Member

Maybe we should ask the question "does anyone have 1/2 moons on their fingernails". I am the same just thumbs have them.

Tilla
  18. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

Can someone find a healthy thin energetic person with a positive outlook who does NOT have perfect 1/2 moons on their nails? Can someone find a healthy thin energetic person with a positive outlook at all? LOL
  19. sugarpeach

sugarpeach New Member

I thought this was very interesting. How about this-since my youngest son was born I have not been able to grow nails on my thumbs.They constintly split. This has happened for 10 years and that is how long I have had FM.All my other nails grow fine.I also have very small moons on my fingers. How weird! sugar
  20. craziC

craziC New Member

I only have small, barely there 1/2 moons on my thumb nails - nowhere else. I keep looking at them as I'm amazed that I never really noticed it before.

I also have the vertical ridges, and also get a white spot on a nail ocassionally. This is so weird!! I wish the reasearchers would gather all this info and actually find out what is causing this DD!

Hugs & Health,
    Crazi