Does anyone NOT take pain meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scrappinkat, Feb 12, 2006.

1. scrappinkat

scrappinkat New Member

I have been miserable for almost two full years now, I just hurt and ache everywhere and I am so tired all the time. I didn't realize that take pain meds was acceptable for FM sufferers. My doctor has made no mention of them to me, and since I don't have any broken bones or stuff like that I never really thought about asking. (I think I am a kinda all or nothing personality)

I get upset that my hubby doesn't seem to get just how hard taking care of the kids can be when it all I can do to get out of bed, I have friends who harrass me cause I need to get out and exercise with the kids. They don't seem to understand that I already push myself just to do what I am. I feel like I am a failure for not being more full of life for my kids sake.

But anyways am I silly for not taking pain meds for this or do other people just kinda suffer though it all?

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Used to. Over the years I took Cataflam, Percocette, Ultram, Feldene, Voltaren, Muscle Relaxers,(many). All Rx.s combined, about 10-15 a day. About 4 or 5 years ago I made it my JOB to get off as many drugs as possible for the sake of my liver and kidneys.

I now use DL-Phenylalanine and L-Tyrosine for pain management. These are amino acids, available in any health food/vitamin store. They help your body to make its' OWN pain relieving neurotransmitters, which are many times stronger than Morphine. I still have pain, but it is definately manageable.
  3. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

I don't take pain meds, but not by choice. i have had one kidney removed and the other reconstructed. and since most pain meds filter through the kidneys, my doc will not prescipe them. so i suffer in silence. and try to do the best i can. my kids help alot, the are adults. come over every day to check on me. and i have a ten yr old girl(grand daughter) that i have had since she was 3mths. she also tries to help. but misses the times we played together. so when i have a good day (rarely lately) i will play a game with her. hang in there if you feel you don't need them don't take them. but if you feel you can't take it any more i would take it.
    becca
  4. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I only take muscle relaxers and paracetamol when needed days can go by without any I get pain every day but managable sometimes not so then I take what I need
    Linda
  5. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I used to not take pain meds, but finally I broke down and started taking them when I began having problems with my back, herniated and bulging discs.

But I also have diabetic neuropathy and I take the pain meds for that too.

I have found I can function somewhat better with the pain meds and muscle relaxers.

I however do understand why some people do not take them.

I have a son who is mentally handicapped so I really worried about taking something and not being as aware of things as I needed to be.

But I find I can do alot more things now that I do take pain meds.

I am in no way promoting them or saying everyone with fibro should take them.

I do not think you are silly either.

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have cfs and bothered more with fatigue and anxiety than pain..There are times I need something for pain but the side effects from rx pain meds make me feel weird or I am allergic to them..So I take bufferin which takes the edge off..I would take them if I could because I feel the pain causes the fatigue..I take xanax for anxiety and that too helps with the pain..

Good Luck,
    greatgran
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I dont like it but I do need them.

I was given Co-Codamol, the strongest, for 8 years, 8 a day and I hated taking them because they didnt help much and I was afraid for my liver.

Now my doctor prescribes Pethedine, (UK) a morphine based tablet. I dont take them all day but try to go as long as possible before taking one. I do have to take them at night and through the night though as the pain is worse then so I halve them .

You should speak to your doctor about this.

love
    Rosie
  8. jana15

jana15 New Member

I manage to get by with over the counter medication called Mercyndol and it contains: codine phosphate (10mg)Paracetamol (500mg) and doxylamine Succinate (5.1mg) On good days I don't need anything at all but I always need to take one at bedtime otherwise the pain will wake me up and then I can't get back to sleep.

I was prescribed Tramol but I can't stomach them. The make me feel terribly ill (sea sick) So even though they do kill the pain, the side effects aren't worth it.

I live in Australia and there seems to be a real stigma about taking pain tablets which I find hard to deal with. You are perceived as weak or a substance abuser. Other people don't understand the degree of pain this DD generates and so now I simply don't tell people when I do have to resort to them. I've been very lucky to have a good Dr, but I have come across Dr's who won't prescribe painkillers and Chemists who give you questioning looks when you put your script in to be filled.

I also spend a lot of time meditating and taking vitamins but sometimes they just aren't enough!

I hope you find some relief!
  9. OWWEE

OWWEE New Member

i quit a lot of meds. for me it was just six of one, half a dozen of the other.

pain v. side effects.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I don't take pain meds, except for an occasional Tylenol. Once, when I had really bad pain, I took muscle relaxers.

I'm lucky in that my big problem is CFIDS, not Fibro. My Fibro pain seems to be in remission, kind of. I don't know if that is due to the fact that my diagnosing Dr, 13 years ago, put me on megadoses of supplements. I have stuck to that protocol and, even though my CFIDS is still bad, my Fibro has gotten better.

Good luck to you. I'm sorry you are in so mush pain.

Big Hugs,
    Terry
  11. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

I have been using tofranil for about 4 weeks now and it does wonder with the pains. I take 75mg at night and the pain is not so bad anymore. The days I do get some pain i pop Advil.

Andrea
  12. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I was alternating between 4 ibuprofen and 4 extra strength tylonal. and it wasnt helping much. Now after 2 yrs, my whole life has changed. I had to leave my job I adored. and Im on 4 different pain meds and 2 muscle relaxers. In all, I take 23 different meds for everything wrong with me each day. I have a wonderful husband who will tell me to go take another pain pill when I am crying and cant get up from a chair without his help. And you know what? He is right. It always helps some and instead of waiting for some miracle to happen, I can go on with some since 0f normal.

suzette
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

OCCASIONAL ASPRIN OR TYLENOL. I DO TAKE PRILOSEC BUT THAT IS FOR STOMACH GERD PROBLEM, NOT FM

I DO NOT DO WELL ON MEDS. I GET DIZZY ALL THE TIME AND WILL HOLD OFF FOR DAYS BEFORE TAKING MECLAZINE OR VALIUM AS THEY MAKE ME SO SLEEPY.

IT IS HARD COPING WIHT THIS ILLNESS. SORRY YOU ARE SUFFERING.

LOVE ANNE
  14. elsa

elsa New Member

I have done both amino acid therapy and rx pain medication.
    I found for pain, my tramadol effectively broke the pain cycle. Now I am on a maintenance daily dose of tramadol with advil.

One of my doctors, who can be fairly conservative, ordered I take my tramadol on schedule .... get ahead of the pain .... when I accomplish that then we can start trying to treat any underlying causes.

His thought - not going to get anywhere with true treatment until I was sleeping better and had my pain under control. I love that man!

I have another doctor, a natural health / internist doc who helped me with amino acid therapy. You can google that and come up with some informative sites. Or, you can put my name in search and look up my Amino Acid therapy post.

Please be careful with this form of treatment. It really does work beautifully, in alot of areas, but guidance from a professional is a very good idea. amino acids manipulate the neurotransmitters in the brain.

Keep in mind that AD's also manipulate neuros .... If you are on an AD, think hard before starting some forms of AA therapy.

DLPA - "L" form = mood elevator, precurser to brain chemicals dopamine and norepiniphrine.
    "D" form = synthetically made, blocks nervous system enzyme that amplifies pain signals. May prevent breakdown of brain's natural narcotic-like chemical endorphins.

You need to take this on an empty stomach (20 minutes before eating) away from other neuros as it will compete with them. Dosing schedule for pain:

Phase I - First two weeks, up to 2000mgs 1xd. They come in 350 or 500mgs strengths so be 2caps 2xd.

PhaseII - 3,500mgs/day for weeks 3,4,5&6. Besure to still take this in several doses, not all at once. Taken at night may interfer with sleep ...

PhaseIII - 4,500mgs/day for weeks 7,8,9&10.

Maintenance Level - After week 10 lower DLPA dose by 500mgs a day until slight pain discomfort appears - Your maintenance will be the next one up ... either by 500mg cap or 350mg cap.

This needs to be taken with B6 to be effective. Many have found relief this way but it has some drawbacks.

1. The cost .... It only comes in 350 and 500 mgs ... From the beginning you have to take multi-daily doses for effective pain relief protocol.

2. It takes a while to become effective .... about 10 weeks for full benefit .... long time to see if will.

3. Can't take this if you are on antidepressents. 4. DLPA will raise dopamine and norepiniphrine ... may have to add other neuros (ie serotonin)balance.

I hope you find the right direction for your pain management. Please don't beat yourself up over needing rx meds. You are actually doing more harm to your body by not treating the pain.

Left untreated pain eventually produces permanate nerve damage .... So, rest easy ... do what you need to do so you can get on with treating underlying problems.

Elsa
  15. elsa

elsa New Member

Bump back up ...
  16. sues1

sues1 New Member

I've had such adverse reactions to much.....either made me ill (on top of being ill-HA).....or puts me out and I can not function, I turn into a zoombie......even small small portions of a pill. I can not take that either.

I really have not had much choice.
  17. Michelle01

Michelle01 New Member

I take Magnesium once a day and if the pain is bad :twice. If I am worse I take Mersyndol or Panadiene.If I am really bad: Digesic.
    I am in Australia so maybe those names dont mean much.
    However, If I am careful ,dont do too much and pace the day I have just have one dose of magnesium.
    I also have an excellent line up of health professionals and we seem to have discovered a happy medium.
    Have not found anything for the fatigue.
    I have learnt that pacing is so important.Do everything at 60% dont push too far.
    Hope this is helpful