Does anyone on this board using natural therapies for pain/healin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by selmad, Nov 20, 2002.

1. selmad

selmad New Member

Does anyone use natural therapies , diet, and exercise for pain mgmt and healing? All I see is lot's of entries on folks who are on loads of drugs... I've had great success with diet changes, exercise, sauna, massage, and herbs etc......but I don't see any positive stories from others on this message board.....
  2. selmad

selmad New Member

Does anyone use natural therapies , diet, and exercise for pain mgmt and healing? All I see is lot's of entries on folks who are on loads of drugs... I've had great success with diet changes, exercise, sauna, massage, and herbs etc......but I don't see any positive stories from others on this message board.....
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I dropped all my meds and went all natural. Of course I didn't feel well, instantly, and eventually found a great integrative dr. I started with a few meds, for short-term use, and now am taking only Armour thyroid and Prometrium; everything else that goes in my mouth is natural. I am NOT the same person I was 2.5 years ago when I first started on my journey. Most days I feel cured, but I know I'm only "cured" as long as I take my pills. BTW, I have conquered IBS-C, candida, depression, FM and panic attacks to name a few.

Annette
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

There are many of us who use alternative treataments. Some do both, meds and supplements.

I only take Xanax, low dose once a day. Everything else I take is supplements, herbs, and just plain home remedies.

There are some members that need the meds to function, we all have different lifestyles, and we may have the same illnesses, but most treatments vary a great deal.

I just answered a post on an OTC med that helps some of us greatly, for me it has the opposite effect.

Another thing, some have doctors that put them on different meds, personally I gave up on the medical profession more or less. I treat myself.

Different strokes for different folks.

Shalom, Shirl

5. dlizard

dlizard New Member

and its going pretty well right now anyway! I take aspirin immune booster type herbs, lots of organic type foods. I exercise every day and see a chiro every two weeks with occasional massages and acupuncture. I also drink about 2 gallons of water a day. I take some magnesium supplements and melatonin at night. Some nights I sleep. some nights I don't but I don't wake up with hangovers LOL>>>. I do on occasion take antibiotics and things like diflucan or zyrtec. But not often,, and not if I can help it! Good luck!
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Syndromes affect so many of us differently. For some they can find symptom relief, and improvement from natural therapies. Others attain the same through conventional methods. There are those like myself who use both. None of the approaches are better than the other--it's just a matter of what works best for the individual. I have seen plenty of positive stories on all the various aspects of treatment. I have read posts where various supplements, vitamins, rx'es, and such have not, and those people reach out to others to find what successes they have had, treating various aspects of these DD's. Be careful saying, "All I see is lot's of entries on folks who are on loads of drugs", or "I don't see any positive stories from others on this message board".....
    I have seen tons of posts, just to name a few examples--on positive results from lots of various herbs, probiotics, , supplements, vitamins, conventional meds rx's, various diets, exercise, massage, acupunture, tai chi--- you name it its all there. This is a great place to come to for info on ALL methods of treatments.
    May each be allowed to heal their bodies in a way that is best suited to their needs.
    Karen
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Just had to respond to this. I have been taking a natural herb combination for sleep which really helps.
    I tried the prescribed meds such Ativan, elavil, ambien, etc and they ALL made me drugged and hung over the next day. Couldn't wake up til late afternoon on even the lowest dose. So my sisterinlaw told me about an herbal sleep aid that worked for her. It's called Valerian and is apparently used extensively in Europe by physicians there. I take a product called Dr's RestAid that included Valerian, passion flower, and hops and i t works for me. I take 2 tablets one hour before bedtime and I fall asleep with no problem, and the BEST PART is I wake up feeling rested with NO hangover or drowsiness. I've tried other combinations, but this works best. The only problem with it is that IT STINKS like old gym socks, but IF you can get it into your mouth past your nose, you'll find it really works. I also do a gentle, stretching type of yoga which helps me keep my muscles and joints lubricated and moving better.
    Hope this helps - love this website!!!!
    ps: I am new to this site and noticed all the prescribed drugs mentioned with a lack of natural meds.northwoodssue
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The Valerian-hops-passionflower combo mentioned above makes a barely noticeable dent in my hyped up night time mood, as I have a sleep disorder called "Delayed sleep phase onset". We are all different,as several have said. I cannot do without several nutritional supps., but find herbals either cause an allergic reaction, or are not strong enough to make a difference for me. BTW,it's the Valerian that stinks, and if you think the tablets are bad, you should try the tea...it will drive you from your house!
    Klutzo
  9. JP

JP New Member

I have used alternatives for about 24 years now. I even became a masseuse over 20 years ago, due to my interest, and then went on the get a degree in life science (pre-med). I realized the more I learned the less I knew (nice place to be). We are so complex.

Unfortunately, I need some extra western pharmaceutical help right now in my life. And fortunately, it helps with some of my symptoms. I have never been a righteous user of either alternative or main stream. I have been quite grateful for a few surgeons in my life (saved my life) and gave me the ability to continue to walk, through repair work. I also learned quite early in my adult life that alternatives are drugs too, and in fact, they can be more dangerous for assorted reasons...too many to list.

As far as exercise goes, I move my body as much as I can. My arthritis helps me to stay highly motivated. I do some form of exercise everyday.

Thanks for the question...jan
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are so right with the Valerian! But they claim the more it stinks the fresher it is!!

There is a health food store in my area, that the owner won't stock the tea, she said it 'stinks her store up'!

I keep mine in a glass jar. I can take the tea (along with rose hips and honey), but the caps give me a staggering headache!

Like someone said; different strokes for different folks'.

I cannot take hops, very allergic to it. Right, no beer either.

Shalom, Shirl
  11. genevieve

genevieve New Member

I always use natural remedies-homeopathic, herbal, nutritional supplements and avoiding all the foods I am allergic to plus Blood type diet plus ostgeopathy and in the past,
    acupunture and massage.Also tried healing and Feng shui.

I would always use natural first but especially as I am allergic to so many things and horribly over sensitive.

Best wishes,

Genevieve