Does anyone out there experience balance problems while walking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dainty45, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I cannot walk long distances, sometimes, or short for that matter without feeling like I am going to fall over. In the grocery store, I hang on to the carriage, that helps a lot. Any input would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Take Care!
  2. Tamsue

Tamsue New Member

I have this problem all the time. I think half the people who see me think I have a drinking problem! I use a cane on really bad days. My doctor said to use it if it was a real bad day. Or hang on to your man or a friend.
    Take Care Too!
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Dainty,
    Yes, I sometimes lose my balance whiile walking. Also, sometimes my legs get so weak they give out under me. I had lots of tests and the conclusion was, that it was a side effect of CFIDS.

I got an assistance dog. She is tall enough so that I can hold on to her if I lose my balance, and strong enough so that I can hold on to her if I fall. I got her from the Golden Retriever Rescue and I'm training her myself, as I trained dogs in obedience for a long time. (There are also classes for people who want to train their own service dog).

If you are interested, look up the Delta Society. They explaiin how and under what conditions one can call a companions dog an assistance or service dog. It is easy in California. I don't know where you are , but the laws for your state should be listed on the Internet.

Good luck.
  4. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

In fact I was going to post the same question myself. I have to walk with someone so I can link arms with them, or if I'm on my own I have to walk along the wall with my hand pressing against it so I don't veer off.

As far as I'm aware it is part of this DD, some of us suffer worse from it than others. I don't have the dizziness that some who have balance probs have, just the constant veering to the right.

5. TAM

TAM New Member

Yes i also have balance problems where it feels like your going to fall over, i also hang onto the cart at the grocery store like you do and that does help. Sometimes i look silly pushing a cart with one item in it, but i would rather look silly then fall.

All i can tell you is just walk slowly. Take care. Best of luck to you. TAMMY
  6. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

this problem is one that kind of comes and goes with me. It's caused me alots of falls. Once even breaking my arm.
  7. KelB

KelB New Member

That's what first sent me to the doc when I started to get progressively more ill at the beginning of the CFS. It was variously diagnosed as labyrinthitis and Benign (hah!) Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (medical-speak for "you feel dizzy") but wore off a couple of months before I had the formal CFS diagnosis.

I think it's just part of the wonderful package that is CFS. Thankfully I've only had brief spells of it since. I get a sort of "wallowing" feeling, like I'm on a boat on a calm sea. I certainyl feel seasick and travel sickness tablets help with that aspect. When I stay still, the world moves but only very subtly. When I walk I look like I'm drunk, because the floor is never quite where I think it will be - it's either half an inch higher or lower than where I'm expecting - and my feet stumble. I've only fallen over once - fell off my chair at work and landed in a waste paper bin!
  8. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Pray tell me that there are people out there who still have balance. I trip over things that aren't there and have been known to walk to the oven and just kinda topple into the refrigerator. Shopping always have to have a cart even if buying a couple of things. I've even noticed that when driving I tend to weave too. Not all over the place but in my lane. At first I thought something was wrong but after a visit to my normal doctor it's just one more symptom that I can strike up to Fibro. How fun......SueF
  9. jjdg

jjdg New Member

I have had the same problems as the rest of you,i use a cane for short distances but then my arms and chest start to hurt. I also found holding on to the carts were helpful soooo, i just got a walker,i felt i was 2 young and embarressed to use one,BUT on the 4th of July i was able to walk to our local park which is only like 4 long rural city blocks to watch the fire works!!!! it gave me a feel of freedom now i can take my little dog for walks up and down our street,not everynite cause i still get the same type of pain when i used the cane,but i can go farther with the walker b efore it starts jjdg
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/17/2006</i>]
  10. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I have lots of trouble with balance. I started using a walker because I have trouble walking but it sure helps with the balance issues. Lots of times I know I'd have fallen if not for my walker. God bless, Anne Theresa
  11. AnjaMaria

AnjaMaria New Member

I have trouble walking all the time. I couldn't walk a straight line if my life depended on it.

That should make for an interesting experience come September
    I signed up for the Breast Cancer 3-Day 60 Miles walk ( my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last year).
    I may be crawling most of those 60 miles. lol

Somedays i am sooooooooooo excited about the walk, other days i hope i don't get all my fundraising done, so i won't be able to participate. Now that's sad. Hmmmm........

12. fmcurepls

fmcurepls New Member

Dear Dainty,

Dizziness and balance problems are two of my main symptoms besides the pain, insominia, etc. It seems that as my pain increases so does the dizzines and balance. I use something called Sombra on the tight muscles in my neck. It is similar to Biofreeze. It really works. I get it from my chiropractor.

Also you may have low blood pressure. For this I use salt tablets that my immunologist prescribed. The salt is also good if your adrenals are weak.

One doctor also told me that dizziness and balance problems may be a result of low B12. Have you had a bloodtest to check your B12 level?

I wish you the best of luck.

God Bless,

Sharon(a "dizzy" blonde)

13. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

i wonder if it could be a b12 thing, how do you get a doctor to test for that?
    sometimes I think mine is from muscle spasms in my neck, I use a cane when I feel real off balance. I keep one in the house and one in the car.
    hate the dizziness,it just makes me anxious.

hugs sixtyslady
  14. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I can normally walk, though sometimes labored when I'm having a CFS or Fibro Flare-up from here to the ends of the earth. But when I have to stand up, to talk to a client, or in line, that's when my balance starts to wane. Actually, when I'm having my worst Fibro leg pain, walking 'shakes it out', as I normally don't take pain pills.
  15. jole

jole Member

Oh boy, here we go. I have ran into walls, doors, fallen on the treadmill, you name it. At work I hold onto walls to walk. I rarely go to Wal-Mart because of the stimulation issues, but the last time my husband had to laugh because I started veering to the right and couldn't stop. ended up in a rack of clothes. Much less embarrasing than the floor.

As someone else said, driving is sometimes the same. I have been in the ditch several times. I can see the edge of the road getting closer, but just cannot get the car to turn to save me!! I only drive to work and back, and no further. It's too scary, and I would hate to hurt anyone else.

The first step after getting up from a chair is a killer - I swear that floor moves just to get me! I feel sooo old when I get up, stand, wait, then walk when everyone else jumps up and hits the floor on a dead run....But then I can't even stand still anymore without that "spread eagle" look:)

Oh, boy, isn't this just a barrell of fun - NOT!

16. SweetT

SweetT New Member

First of all, my punctuation was sort of off in that last post. Meant to say that I can normally walk from here to kingdom come, even when having pains. It's standing that gets the best of me. However, I'm losing balance when going down steps. I have to hold onto rails and go one step (sometimes one foot) at a time, like never before.
  17. fmcurepls

fmcurepls New Member

It is just a routine blood test.
    Ask your doctor. Good luck.

18. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

if we all went some where together staggering this way and that!!!

I have had the same problem for years..I will be looking and heading one direction and going the complete oposite. fell more times that I care to count..Last April I fell off the front porch and ended up I dislocated my shoulder but my 2 year old grandson was with me and he leaned down to me on the ground and ask...You fall of the porch again Da'ma? yes baby go get papa!!

I to an in control of the shopping cart at all times..don't know which way we are heading but I am still hanging on to the thing!

Getting things out of crisper or anything I have to bend down for are really a treat..I get such a head rush I have to hold onto the refridgerator door..

My pets watch me coming through the house and make way if they need to!
  19. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I too have had the balance problem for several years.

I started trying to use a cane about a year ago. It made my arm and shoulder hurt like crazy.

Last month I found a cane on the internet called Anti-Shock Walking Cane Hiking Stick. Now my arm and shoulder don't hurt as much.

Take care all,
  20. marbs

marbs New Member

I do have the veering to the right, and have to walk close to a wall and balance with my right hand as I walk. I'm wondering if some of you have found solutions, causes, or cures in the time that has passed since your postings?
    I would be interested to learn of any avenues you have taken as I am unable to walk with out assistance and this does not go over well with first graders. Waiting, Marbs<br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/23/2012</i>]