Does anyone out there feel great discomfort with a mammogram?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dainty45, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

When I get a mammogram, it is so sore, afterwards I experience shortness of breath, throughout the day. I hurt all of the time any way, but that makes it worse, so I put it off as long as I can. I cancel appointments, due to the fact I am not ready to deal with it. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your caring and sharing words!

SB
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You'd better believe it! This is very true with women with fibrous breasts.

I swear that some techs are sadists. While I know pressure has to be applied to get a clear result, last year it was so tight that not only was it very painful but my chest was bruised. I told the tech I didn't think I'd do that again. She laughed and said, Oh, you will too!

It's been said that if men had to had their testicles tested yearly in this manner, we'd immediately have new types of tests. In fact, I think there are new types of tests currently but they're not avaiable at my lab. You might want to check it out with your doctor or lab.

There are those who might say it's a small price to pay for finding potential cancer but I still don't know that I'll do that to myself again.

Yours in empathy,
    Marta
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I think MOST people experience this, even people without FMS
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

There's a new machine out that is more accurate, totally non-invasive. A friend had a mammogram recently, and it didn't pick her small tumor up. But the the Thermogram detects abnormalities before they become tumors.

Our chiropractor has one; costs $65.

LIGHT***********carole
  5. 1horse

1horse New Member

yes, it is awful.. hate those things..but they are important..peg
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear SB,
    You are a lot braver than I am. I just don't have them any more.

Besides Fibro, I had a breast reduction several years ago, and the scar tissue makes it far too painful to have a mammogram unless it is done manually. Up here, we don't have any manual machines. They are all automatic.

I don't worry, though because the surgeon told me that he took out thae parts that usually become cancerous, when he made my breasts smaller. I hope he was right.

Terry
  7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

yup.. fibrous breasts here.. ouchie!!
    then last time they discover a mass.. so I have to have another type of mammo done where they just squeeze a small section (spot compression). It literally took my breath away it hurt so bad. Now I'm supposed to have a followup and I'm 3 months late on it because I'm scared to go back! I know there are ultra sound techniques they can use with out all this.. it's out of hand.. there has to be a better way!
    hugs.. dona
  8. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I just had one done last week, & my breasts & chest wall are still sore..Also had abrasions under both breasts. This happens every year. Hate going. Always put it off, til I finally give in.

I too, have heard there is a digital imaging procedure they can do, esp. if you have dense breasts, history of breast cancer in the family, etc. More expensive of course, & probably should check to see if your doctor will order it for you & if the insurance will cover it.

I am SURELY going to try getting one next yr. The tech I had kept saying, "I've been doing this for 20yrs." As if that's going to help anything. I told her to just go ahead & do it , as nothing will change the pain level or getting the abrasions. I guess she felt insulted..Well, patooey to her...

Maybe I should have told her I'm a retired nurse & I know it's not necessary to pull the breast that hard over the table to get a good pic. Cripes....And of course she had small breasts, & I know sometimes small breasted people have difficulties too, but ones I talked to said it's a piece of cake for them..

Oh well, done for another year, guess I'll go apply some more neosporin to my abrasions...lol..

Take care all;
    Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth...
  9. mary124

mary124 New Member

Never really had a problem with pain except when the tech is doing them. - trying to stretch and pull it up there!! (guess I'm too flat-chested)- but same tech has been there for the last hand-ful of years so she is as gentle as she can be.
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....to take an hour prior to your mammogram to help reduce the pain? It wouldn't make it painless, but it might take the edge off.

I have a cancer now with a worse cure rate than breast cancer that's caught early by a mammogram....I hate to see women NOT getting mammograms when they do pick up a lot of early breast cancers (nothing is completely foolproof) because of pain...

I have to get bone marrow exams a lot now....one of medicine's more painful procedures. When I've been hospitalized, they give me a morphine drip, but I've done them outpatient with just some Vicodin an hour before the exam. Sure, it's still painful, but tolerable. I would think some pain meds up front before a mammogram might help those who don't have them due to pain.

Just a thought...breast cancer can be pretty curable caught early enough...

Hugs,
    Pam

11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I get achey breasts and so does a friend of mine. Strangely, when we get our mammogram and it squeezes as it does, we both report relief from the pain we normally have. This is weird. I have quite large breasts and she has tiny ones so it cannot be size related.

Anne C
  12. keke466

keke466 New Member

I haven't had one yet. Scared to death. My breasts hurt all the time anyway let alone going thru that. I received a soonercare card from the state,that's what it's called here in Ok. It's for women and only pays for women issues once a year. Will pay for a pap smear and mammogram so I'm gonna have to go before Nov this yr. and get them done cause it's gonna expire. Gonna have to suck it up.

Keke