Does Anyone Recommend A Disability Letter...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srobins, Sep 27, 2005.

1. srobins

srobins New Member

be written by family members & friends being sent into disability? My case is now being reviewed by the judge and I didn't know if I had letters written by people that see me every day and how I am affected if it would help or not! Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
  2. bozey

bozey New Member

I think they help. I had my daughter and niece write one for me. I'm still waiting for an answer from the ALJ hearing I had in Aug.

bozey
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I had letters from my former boss and a close friend they both noted in there letters how I have gone down hill and how much they can see that I suffer.

Also had letters from all 7 of my doctors all confirming my trigger points my fatigue and depression.

I won my case 2 weeks ago.

Best of luck.
    Sue

Ps I won on FM
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2005]
  4. srobins

srobins New Member

Did you have to go in front of the judge, or did you get awarded your disability without seeing the judge.
  5. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Yes, I think letters will definitely help. Of course, send them in an organized fashion, with none of them being too long (the judge won't have a lot of time to read through them), but from several different people. Also, the letters should include what these people have observed (facts) and avoid just conclusions that you are not well. best of luck
    Maggy
  6. srobins

srobins New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! My husband has written down some facts - he is just struggling to put in letter form. Him and I have been together for 11 years and how he has seen me struggle just to do normal daily activities, how with our age difference (20 years)he thought I would be taking care of him and it is the other way around, how I have changed jobs 4 times in 11 years to try and find something I could do, that kind of stuff. I will have him hustle on it now!
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

in front of Judge.Very informal hearing.

Lawyer on my left there doctor on my right.
    Sue
  8. srobins

srobins New Member

and she told me that she doesn't know if it helps because of course, your friends and family are going to be partial but she said it couldn't hurt. This lady also suffers from some chronic illnesses and her and I email back and forth frequently.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

but I would not recommend family members or friends -- they would say anything that you wanted them to.

I had a few coworkers -- a peer, an office manager, supervisor, superintendent, and division manager. I thought people, especially management, who had worked with me for 20+ years would be good. I also had my former manager write a letter. They all wrote different type letters and ended up saying different things.

While my case was being evaluated, I sent them in to my caseworker for consideration. My case never went before a judge. I got it on first try.
  10. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

Is it best for the letters to be handwritten or should they be typed and signed?
    Thanks, Cindy
  11. suzetal

suzetal New Member

They like it better if there notarized.
    Sue
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

Any important or "official" letter should always be typed.

All letters, regardless of handwritten or typed, should be signed.

Notarizing letters like these will show that you did not prepare them on your own behalf!