Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tennisnut, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

and do you think it takes more or less energy than walking? My energy levels are pretty low. My head is capable of coming up with some schemes that my body is unable to carry out. I am just concerned that I will buy one and not use it after all - but I like the idea. TN
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

however, I find that I cannot go that long without being in a lot of pain.....if I keep the rides short, though, it feels good to ride.....I think that a recumbent bike would be far less painful, but I can't afford one, so I make sure the bike is adjusted as much as possible to fit me, and then I go at whatever pace feels manageable for a short distance
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Did you used to play tennis? I'm guessing from your name.

Riding a bike is the only exercise left that I can do. I happen to live where it's flat which helps a lot because we can so easily overdo it with hills. The main think is to rest a lot, like not pedal the whole time and get off and sit during the ride if it's a longer one etc..

I also found that slower bikes with the big wide seats that let you sit up as opposed to leaning over like 10-speeds or road bikes or mountain bikes are the best. I now own 4 bike :) lol, I used to be big into mtn. biking.

I love my new 3-speed the best now. I'm in no pain on it, of course I only ride it when I'm already feeling pretty good. I'm mostly bedridden though and in constant intractable pain so the fact that I can enjoy a ride is great.

I think it's really good to get the lymph moving as well as everything else in your body. It's definitely way easier than walking for me. I can barely walk across the floor.

You might look for a cheap used bike and just make sure the tires are pumped up correctly.

4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I did have one and used to wait till I was going through short periods of time when I was alittle better. I loved doing it. I'm looking into getting another one.

You don't have to do it alot, just use it for short periods of time and see how you feel.

My last bike, I bought it at a used salvation army type place for five dollars. And it worked great for years. Don't spend alot if you are worried you won't use it. Buy a used one cheap and try it out. Call the local thrift stores and salvation army stores. They get in lots of used exercise equipment cheap.
  5. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

and yes, TeeJKay, tennis was my passion, now it's my frustration. I guess if one has been a person to love sport and exercise, it makes this illness more terrible. I have two sisters who have never played sport or exercised in their lives and I am the sickie (not fair!!) Cheers TN
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Bike riding is such a great activity! I need a new bike - but there is something about riding and feeling the wind through your hair....ah sounds so wonderful doesn't it?
    I'd say riding would be great if you started on a flat surface. My bike riding (which I haven't done in a few years now) isn't much exercise I must say- I'm cruising, coasting etc. BUT....the upside is that it gets you out!

Just remember to head back to base while you're still feeling good. I've made the mistake while walking to get too far and then not think I'm going to make it home!
  7. sascha

sascha Member

and it does take more energy than walking. i can't tolerate doing it.

i have a beautiful bike i used to be able to ride, and loved doing it, but i weakened and had to stop- just couldn't manage it anymore. after my valcyte treatment, in fact months after, when i thought i'd like to start a bit of exercise, i bought stationary stand for my bike, but found i couldn't do even 2 minutes without it backfiring on me- i mean, i went down with increased cfids symptoms the next day.

aerobic exercise isn't advised for most people with cfids, but apparently some can do a bit. i guess it's a matter of trying it out bit by bit. maybe you could rent a bike, or borrow one, and see if you can ride for a bit without repercussions.

i sure wish i could- maybe later at some point- my exercise routine at the moment is helping care for 3 month old twins my son and his wife had- and a lot of that time is spent resting with a little tyke- i have a picture of me lying on a couch with one of the twins sleeping on my shoulder. so when i don't feel so good, i just rest with a baby, and it's the nicest rest ever.

and i am getting plenty of exercise- i was afraid i couldn't do it- there's a lot of carrying, getting up out of a chair, walking them around to settle them down, feeding them, etc- it's all great stuff, but, wow- it is using muscles and requiring stamina that i haven't utilized for a long time. maybe it's helping me. i'm so grateful i've been able to be involved so far.

every person gets hit differently with cfids- maybe you'll be one who can ride a bike- just be very cautious and keep close track as you try- best, sascha
  8. toddm

toddm New Member

I have POTS along with CFS so being upright isn't a good option for any exercise for me. I do a stationary bike, but boy it takes it's toll. Some weeks I can get on it 3 times, others maybe twice. I'll never give up trying to something, but some weeks I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good.
  9. hi all,
    ive been riding a bike for over 2 years now.i ride to and from my part time job,and its 10 mins there,and 10 mins back.its a ladies mountain bike,and i use gears 1,2 and sometimes 3.

i have fibromyalgia and ME/CFS.i would say that using my bike is easier than walking.

i had a bit of a flare up of the CFS, and the fibro was preventing my legs from working properly.i hadnt been on my bike for a week,as i was on holiday from work for easter.

my legs just wouldnt let me walk anywhere,even around the house,so i had to go to bed as the fatigue was really bad.i was sneezing alot too.

anyway the next day i felt less fatigued and decided to get on my bike.. NO MATTER WHAT.

i ended up having a nice 20 mins ride around the park and loved riding relaxes my mind.

after my week off work, i had no trouble getting back on my bike.but i would have trouble legs just dont want to work properly,and it makes me angry at times.

i do think we have circulation problems,and bike riding acts as a pump.also the riding of the bike encourages trapped wind to be released out of the guts and through the mouth.

if you where to stand still indoors,and then gently start moving your legs as if doing a dance,like disco dancing, but a gentle and slower version of what we did when will find that your body will bring up wind from your mouth and bottom.

then with our super sensitive feelings of body movement,you will actually feel your food as it moves through the just about getting used to this feeling now,but last year it sort of just all hit me head on,one day,and scared me half to death.

it truly is a weird illness and it takes some getting used to at times,but i just go with the flow,so as to speak.

as long as i can keep food moving regulary through my guts and then out,im riding is helping with that.

on migraine days i cant balence on the bike,so have to miss those days.

but every other day i,d say im much better able to bike ride,than actually walk,for some strange reason.

take care all,love fran
  10. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I rode a bike for a couple of years and it did help greatly. I stopped riding because the bike needed repair and I didn't have the money for (as it was an expensive bike with expensive repairs). If you do buy a bike, I would recommend going to a sports place where they can properly fit you for your bike, it helps a great amount to have the right bike for you and they aren't always expensive. But it's better than going to walmart and having a bike that doesn't fit you right.

I have a lot of leg muscle issues, get shin splints very easily and riding a bike stopped that from happening because it takes the weight off your legs and is less offensive to the muscles then walking, there is less impact directly to your legs with a bike.

Good luck to you!
  11. tooks

tooks Member

I also find it easier than walking and it is so joyous! I live in flat terrain and can ride in a National Park. It is hard to discipline myself to stop and turn around when I know I have done half my limit. For me it is good for the spirit as well as the body.