Does anyone smoke pot and it really helps?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Antenbunny, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Antenbunny

Antenbunny New Member

Just wanting to know others experience with marijuana and FMS, does it help?
  2. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Not sure if I should really admit this on here, but yes I do once in awhile, and yes it does seem to help some, or at least take your mind off of the pain for a little while...
  3. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

Yes I do every once in awhile. I think it does help or either makes you relax and not care. Valley.
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

My big issue with it is this: how do you know what is in it???

I used to yrs ago and I like it of course, but I question the use of it with our immune system being so compromised and the possibility of inhaling poisons, chemicals, etc and also the interaction with other meds. It just seems to me like a very risky thing to do given that it could contain any number of toxins, other drugs, paraquat, etc.

That is my 2c worth.

Jaci
  5. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Well, i actually only smoke what an unnamed family member (old hippie uncle actually...) grows in his yard. And I've never really heard of pot hurting your immune system...I guess if you got some that had poison or chemicals on it, but I will only smoke it when I know where it came from and that it was grown without pesticides, etc.
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Good grief no!! My head is fogged up and screwed up enough without getting stoned!

Marilyn :)
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If I want to relax, I can drink a beer or glass of wine which is legal. I would not do anything to risk losing my insurance license or my permit to carry, not to mention having to pay legal fees if caught. If the cops can pin a charge of trying to sell on you, they can take you house, car, and pretty much anything else they want to. It just isn't worth it.

If you do not know where the MJ is grown, it could be from somewhere that uses all kinds of harmful chemicals and you could be harming your immune system by inhaling them.

I wish MJ were legalized as I believe it to be no more harmful than the drug, alcohol. At least, that way, the government could regulate the growing and processing of it and collect big taxes on it. I doubt it will ever happen, especially in the present environment in Washington.

Sooo, my friends, until it is legal, I will leave it alone.

Love, Mikie
  8. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I was just taking a Puff off my Pipe when I saw this post.
    I do, for a couple of conditions, and I have found that I can skip some Meds that have Worse side effects.
    I use it for Nauesa, that is unrelenting sometimes, so bad once last week, I was standing in my front room, not able to move, I turned white, and spitting foam, so hubby got my pipe for me, and within seconds, not minutes, I had relief.

I don't Drive on it, I certainly don;t operate heavy Machiney on it, can't lift them anymore.
    I don't tell other's to use it, but I also won't tell them not to. It's a Personal choice, I also live in a State where I'm not hasseled by Cops. You wouldn't Believe their attitude toward's just The "Pot Smoker's, it the guy's who sell Crack, Meth, Coke, Estace, that they want. I will be glad to tell them anytime if I ever ran across them.

I don't tho, because I know the person who I get it from very well, he only sells to others in my situation, and he's an Older Person, not some Punk kid. I hate that there are Kids trying this, but, they will do what they want, no matter how hard you try to keep something from some one they will finda a way. they have even been known to rip off their Parents Booze, which is Legal.

I say Legalize it, they could controll it better if they Rx it instead of letting folks grow their own. Which I would perfer to do, then I would know what is in it.

You do need to be careful, talk it over with your Dr. and if you live in a State that is Strict, I wouldn't. It does help, but not worth going to jail for.
    Thank God we do have some States that are changing their law's, but the Fedral Govt. just hassles, the Dr's. so a lot of them don't want to Know.

Sincerely
    kredca4
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

I saw a haematologist about four months ago.

He wasn't much help on my CFS but did suggest I think about trying medicinal cannabis to help with muscle spasms and he wondered whether it might improve my sleep. He feels I qualify for having this prescribed.

GP seemed a bit surprised when I mentioned it but I'm going to discuss this with her in the future.

The only thing I don't want to risk is having it slow my brain down even more, but if it works in the evenings and nights and allows me the maximum levels of alertness I can achieve during the day then it would be worthwhile trying.

Has anyone found this substance has long term adverse effects?

Cheers

Tansy

10. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I'll have to read that Book.
    sharon
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

I think smokin a lil pot here&there won't hurt.There's certainly many other drugs that do more harm~ I use it very seldom,and it does relax me like no other~ I get silly on it too and I need the laughter!
    Lastly......When my father was into his 4th or 5th yr of fighting cancer of the liver,lungs&brain.He asked a close friend in the family to get him some to try,for severe nausea,weight loss because of no appetite,and just plain ole sick from all the chemo and radiation! It worked excellent for him!!at least he was able to get out of bed and eat!! I think it should be legalized,but don't see that happening~
    I'm not talking about sitting around getting blasted every day!!2 hits and i'm good~ sleep like a baby too!!
    regards,
    Tracey
  12. Megster

Megster New Member

I haven't tried it in a long time, but for me, it increased my anxiety, and actually made all my muscles SCREAM with pain. Also made my hands and feet FREEZING cold. At first, thought it was just a bad batch, but tried several other times, and had the same reaction. Oh, well. Don't know that I would anyway, though. Since the brain injury, I find that things that make other's "high" (especially alcohol) just exacerbate my brain injury symptoms. Such a drag!! :)The last Govener of my state (NM) tried to get it leagalized, but was unsuccessful. I have mexed emotions, but definitely think it should be leagalized for medicinal purposes. I also knew of one guy that swore by it as a compress for arthritis!

Blessings,
    Meg
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

I say NO to anything illegal.

Don't do illegal drugs, nor alcohol.
  14. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Since I gave up smoking and got rid of its addictiveness, I don't really want to pollute my lungs in any way, anymore...I experimented with pot in college, and I agree that it is my preferred drug of choice (DO NOT LIKE ALCOHOL) and it was so much easier to stop than cigarettes (NOT ADDICTIVE LIKE CIGS)..but is it worth the risk of arrest? I THINK NOT..

I think it should be legalized, or at the least medicalized,
    countrywide, in all states, so people would not need to worry about it's legal status. It is certainly, not any worse than alcohol...
    ..and leave it up to the consumer.

If I was going to use it, I would grow it myself,as I like to grow all kinds of plants..and it would be organic..don't trust the government or others to not pollute that, too..there are kinds of chemicals on our mainstream veggies..

And, instead of smoking, I would put it in brownies, or other foods..When I was in college, some of my friends laced some brownies with it for my birthday..it was one of the best "highs" I ever experienced, but wish they had told me, cause I had a big exam the next day...not goood for the grades..

TO HEALTHY POT,
    AMELIA
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2003]
  15. tansy

tansy New Member

To antenbunny,

I'm personally really pleased that you posted this. Since it was suggested by a doc I have been thinking about it, just wanted to learn of others experiences.

Here in the UK it can be prescribed in its clinical form and I believe its delivered in a spray, that should mean no other nasty chemicals and better control over its effects.
    Its not supposed to make you high either.

In the meantime I think I might try some pot if I can source some pure stuff. The police here tend to be very relaxed about it anyway, other disabled people I know have not had problems when they've explained why their using it and its benefits. However, growing it yourself can be a problem because this means you have the potential to sell it on.

I'll let you know how it goes.
  16. tandy

tandy New Member

I gotta get me some grow lights!! lol
    Ps.....For those that could'nt tell I was kidding, I'm joking!!Ok??I would'nt grow the stuff!!I do have some common sense & I do have small children to care for~ not to say I won't smoke it every now&again.[This Message was Edited on 04/08/2003]
  17. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

7 years for cultivation...even if it is your own plant that you grow for your own medicinal use.

On another note, I had a friend who had an inoperable brain tumor. He was totally unable to function many days. He was given 3 weeks to live. He smoked pot after being diagnosed and was able to achieve some quality to his life. He made it three months, and although I am sure the pot didn't extend his life, it sure made it easier for him to cope with the pain.
  18. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

then you can get a doc slip to grow it and smoke it. At least I think they passed that law recently. Thats why my friend who has FM gets around better then I do..HUMMMMMMM..Interesting. Drinking alcohol is a NO-NO when your on meds..
    Carlacat
  19. Rich333

Rich333 New Member

I had to toss this into this discussion: I have seen the results of research via the newspaper on several occasions that clearly stated that pot is far more damaging to human lungs than tobacco. In fact I'm sure I read something to that effect within the last year. If I am remembering this right it was something like seven times more damaging puff for puff.

Also I have read that marijuana contains a whole list of toxic alkaloids with unknown dangers to human health.

Make up your own minds, but please look into it first. The net is a good resource for factual information if you watch out where you are getting it from. (In my humble opinion) There has been a lot of research on cannabis.

I personally would not touch it anymore. I smoked it in the late sixties and not since.

Warm thoughts for you all,

Richard
  20. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I know it isn't just Vermont that doesn't allow it, whether medicinal or not. I know my state, S. Carolina, it is not legal period, for medicinal purposes or not, and doctors cannot "prescribe it", and even if they did write a prescription for it, it wouldn't hold up in court. I do smoke on occasion, but only in my own home and never drive afterward. It's a risk of course still, but oh well, at least I'm careful.