Does anyone suffer from agoraphobia/panic disorder?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Dec 19, 2002.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

This is making me a prisoner in my own home. Don't want to travel or go far from my home. I feel anxious when I have to go out alone. It's mainly due to feeling ill with this DD and other chronic illnesses. Any luck with meds or therapy? Please post.
    Tania
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I suffered from severe anxiety for many years. At one time I thought I had agoraphobia, but I didn't. It was just terrible anxiety. I tried every medication in the book. I took Xanax, but became addicted and that was a big mess!Finally, I found a WONDERFUL therapist who has really helped me. As far as therapists go, it's trial and error. You can ask people you know to refer you to someone, or go to a local hospital and ask there. Psychiatrists were useless to me. They prescribe medications but as far as talking to me, they were horrible! Please find a therapist and talk to her! You don't have to be a prisoner!!!!

Annette2
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have to go out here in an hour or so for MY birthday dinner with hubby & son & inlaws and I don't wanna. I would much rather stay home all the time. Just since I got fibro, gained so much weight, etc. I hate shopping, I avoid it if at all possible, the weekly grocery trip really gets to me, thankfully my hubby does it about half the time, he is the bestest.

Anxiety I have always dealth with but I do definitely feel "agorophobic" now.

Jaci
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

This has been a godsend to me----
    I take a small dose at bedtime, to help improve sleep, and restless leg syndrome, racing mind.
    On the occassions when panic, anxiety, sensory overload---etc. hit me, on outtings, I take a small dose.

Sure has made a difference.
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2002]
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I sure have walked in your shoes. It is an awful feeling when you just want to stay close to home, and not venture too far afield.

I have almost completely gotten over it now, but I had that so bad that I quit driving. I was afraid that I would get a terrific pain, and would not be alert in a comprising situation behind the wheel and hurt someone.

I am still not driving, but I am sure I can when I want to now. I have always been a very safe driver, never had a serious accident, only had my fender bumped twice in 40 years of driving, so it was not anything directly related to driving, it was how much pain I was in then, and feeling inadequate.

That was before I started the Pro Energy(Malic Acid & Magnesium Glycinate), and the ZMA (zinc, magnesium, vitamin B-6). These two supplements have literally changed my life.

I did not want to leave the house, I think it was the fact that it took so much energy for me to take a bath, dress (plus decide what to wear), do my hair, nails, makeup, arrange my dogs(I have five of them), and by this time I was totally exausted.
    It was just easier to send my husband or daughter for what I needed and just stay home. I did the same thing with the driving, it was so much easier for them to drive, and I just had to sit and not be bothered with the traffic etc.

I did and still do take Xanax, but not on a three a day routine, if I feel anxious about where I am going, then I take a very small amount of a tablet (0ne fourth of a 0.25 milligram of Xanax), but just for an occasion.

I don't have a problem with Xanax like I take them, but from reading others post here, I realize that some people do have serious problems with it.

I never took them more than the one at night, or if I felt an anxiety attack coming on, and never had a need to up the dose, the 0.25 milligrams is the same amount I started with 15 years ago.

So that could be why I do so well with them, I have been taking them for sleep off and on for 15 years. Many times I could not get them, (doctors are not anxious to prescribe them for some reason), and I would just stop sleeping, not any withdrawal symptoms though.
    BUT I never took them for more than a couple of days, two a day for a case of heart palpations a few times, then I would go back to my once in the evening or for occasions that I felt would be stressful.

I take this amount at six in the evening to calm my racing brain, so that my supplements can take effect and I sleep deeply with the ZMA, and also a 3 milligram of Melatonin.

This is the only prescription drug that I take, everything else is supplements, almost all come from here at Pro Health.

I believe my success is directly related to the Pro Energy, and the ZMA. It has solved the pain problem with the Fibro, and the ZMA solved my sleep problem along with pain. Magnesium is a natural tranquilizer, and I am getting a good amount with the above supplements.

You will probably need to work on the pain first, and sleep if that is a problem for you. Xanax or even klonopin are a big help, but not a cure in themselves.

I hope this helped a little, as I know how awful life can be when you are making your world smaller and smaller. I have been there, and I am glad and grateful that I am coming out of it now.

I just need to get in the car and drive, and that would make me feel totally my old self again!

Good luck, and please let us know how you are doing and if we can do any more for you.

Shalom, Shirl

6. tes

tes New Member

How are you sweetie? Haven't spoken to you in awhile. Yes, I used to have BAD panic and anxiety when this dd started on me. I refused to go anywhere because of the pain. My breathing was so bad as well and the thought of having to go somewhere made it worse. I was always in a state of panic..no matter what time of day it was. But now that I know what I have it has made it easier. Neverless, I still have occasionally bouts when I'm in bad flare. But I believe the mind truely controls this. For instance, I was having a bad day with my rib and chest pain...lots of pain...after I cleaned up from supper my 4 year old wanted to go to the Disney store in the mall. Well, let me tell ya, that was the furthest thing from my mind, but seeing how much he wanted to go, I gave in. I actually felt abit better when I came home because my mind was off the pain. How long have you been diagnosed with this illness? If your diagnoses is fairly new, then I think your panic is totally normal. Anyhow, how have you been...are your ribs still giving you a hard time? Hope to hear from you soon.

Gentle hugs,
    Tes
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I used to suffer from panic attacks really bad, but finally learned how to stop them dead in their tracks. I still have the anxiety that LEADS to panic attacks, but it's nothing like it used to be. I also started to develop agorapobia, (fear of the marketplace). I almost succumbed to it, but then asked myself why would I be afraid of the outdoors, when it is nature and nature has been my best friend all of my life. (I finally realized that I wasn't actually afraid of the outdoors, but rather was afraid I would have a panic attack while away from home - my safe haven.) That got me going again, but I still had a problem with the panic attacks. Finally licked those and now I can drive anywhere all by myself, even on an 8 lane freeway at 75 mph and there was a time that I could NOT do that! Panic/Agoraphobia is NOT permanent. You can conquer it and go on to lead a normal life once again.

P.S. You don't need drugs either....you can get over this without them. Really!

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2002]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When therapy failed to turn up any cause for my anxiety and panic attacks, my therapist suggested I try the Klonopin I had been researching for sleep. I did and it has completely stopped the panic attacks.

I still get lost sometimes even close to home, but I don't panic over it anymore :)

Love, Mikie
  9. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Like we don't have enough issues!! I have both, diagnosed over the summer by a psych. It stems from the pain, weight gain and fear of driving since my accident. I make myself go out every week. Sometimes I am somewhat ok, sometimes I am a sweaty, shaky mess. I stopped the meds. I am on enough meds for pain and what not. I don't want another antidepressant for the rest of my days! lol

It is hard to find a good antidepressant that doesn't make you gain weight. I had my dr. go thru all my meds and substitute anything that may cause weight gain. I have had enough.
    Lanie
  10. sgwgrovenj

sgwgrovenj New Member

I SUFFER FROM PANIC ATTACKS, ANXIETY, DEPRESSION AND AGORAPHOBIA SO I KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM. IT HAS BEEN A LONG ROAD FOR ME. I HAVE HAD IT SINCE I WAS 12 YEARS OLD I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ALL KINDS OF THERPIES THROUGHOUT MY CHILDHOOD AND ADULT LIFE. THE ILLNESS IS IN MY FAMILY TOO MY MOTHER, FATHER AND FATHERS MOTHER HAVE IT ALSO.

I CAN'T TAKE ANY KIND OF MEDICINES BECAUSE I AM CHEMICALLY ALLERGIC. I TOOK ALL THOSE ANXIETY, DEPRESSION MEDINCES IN THE PAST NOW MY BODY CAN'T TAKE ANYTHING. I CAN'T BREATHE IF I TAKE THEM.

I TRIED A MIND AND BODY COURSE AT A LOCAL HOSPITAL IT WAS A 6-8 WEEK COURSE AND YOU GO TWICE A WEEK. YOU LEARN HOW TO RELAX WITH DIFFENT MEDITATION AND YOGA THEY TEACH YOU COPING SKILLS AND HOW TO DEAL WITH ILLNESS.

IF YOU CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL AND FIND OUT IF THEY HAVE SUCH A PROGRAM IT MIGHT BE HELPFUL TO YOU. IT HELP ME ALOT I WAS ABLE TO CONTROL SOME OF THE ATTACKS I WAS GETTING AND SLOW THEM DOWN BEFORE THEY WERE FULL BLOWEN.

I STILL GET REALLY BAD PANIC ATTACKS AND ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION BUT, I AM MORE IN CONTROL. I DO REGULAR RELAXATION EXERCISES AND YOGA.

TRY IT YOU MIGHT FIND SOME RELIEF OR COPING STRAGIES.

TAKE CARE
    GOOD LUCK
    SGWGROVENJ