Does anyone suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mnweb6, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

I have read a lot of posts in the last 2 day's since I found this site, and I have gotten a lot of information. I haven't seen anything about this though. I had it a lot before I started taking muscle relaxers, not much since then. I am wondering if this is part of FM, or is it something seperate?

Thanks for all the support!

Mindy
  2. tinky78

tinky78 New Member

Hello..I also suffer from rls.It's a part of the fm.There are meds specifically for rls like requip.Try the website www.fibromyalgia.com.Hope that helps...Chiitra
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't know what the connection is but I've read that about 10-25% of people with FMS have RLS. Lucky us.

I have actually tried acupuncture which seems to have made a difference for me.

Sofi

PS welcome to the board.
  4. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

seems i have 'restless body syndrome'. no joking around. i get those symptoms throughout my body on occasion like an episode of it.

only relief i get is a pain med, heat, and stretching and gently rolling on the floor! it happened just LAST NIGHT; haven't had one prior to that for a month or so.

it is awful. and in my legs as well. to describe it would be to say it's mental torture. you cannot sit still or stay comfortable long.

i've been thinking recently that i should look up rls and compare it to my legs and entire body just to check on any connection. i'm plain exhausted from it today.
  5. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

Wow, I feel like I am finding something new every day!!! How do you explain everything that you feel, or hurt from to the doctor when all they ever give you is 5 minutes??? It feels like something new hurts every day!!! What do you do if it isn't from FM? Every time I go to the Dr., they don't even examine me, all they do is tell me that I need to exercise!!! What if something else is wrong? How do you get them to listen to you?

6. patches25

patches25 New Member

One thing I noticed was that when I slept on the couch I didn't have RLS. I thought it was strange until I started looking about info on mattresses. Now I have a latex mattress and I don't have RLS anymore. The pressure that I was getting from a mattress with springs was irritating my nerves I guess. I am glad I don't have it now, I know it is very irritating. E.
  7. spmary

spmary New Member

Yes, I have it too. Strange as it may seem,but the bars of soap seem to help. Also, mine got better when I put a foam mattress topper on my bed. Good luck! Mary
  8. ljm527

ljm527 New Member

Yes; I have it too. My mom had it for as long as I can remember; wonder if it is hereditary or part of the fibro. The bar of soap does not work for me, but getting up and walking helps even though I am stiff and in pain. Walking helps me for a lot of my symptoms til I get too fatigued.
  9. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

No problems anymore since starting Klonopin (generic) of.
    Welcome to the board.
  10. sleepless_in_tx

sleepless_in_tx New Member

I don't know if it's RLS but sometimes I get this weird sensation in my legs and my butt..I know that sounds strange, I don't know how to describe it. It's a feeling like I need to stretch my leg out it's very irritating. I also get little twitches all up and down my leg with this. Does anyone else experience this?
  11. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I have rls too and didn't know what to do with it. My legs would just keep moving around in bed and not be able to stay in one place. I read last week on these boards someplace about the bar of soap and I've tried it and I don't know how it works, but my legs have been calm at night since then

Sandy
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

and have been taking Mirapex now for about 6 years. It really helps me to be able to sleep. The soap didn't work for me, and car rides are the pits, but I may try the mattress foam topper. Thanks, Mary! Terri
  13. Breel

Breel New Member

Hi mnweb6,

I can honestly say I can't remember many nights when I don't have it. I have pain in my legs all over and seems like moving them helps the pain.

For instance, sitting in this chair typing on the computer is very painful for me and I am constantly trying to move my legs and adjust them to relieve the pain.

I know they are making commercials on t.v. about RLS now and they are doing so because they have come out with a new med for it. I believe someone in another post mentioned the name of the med; but I figured I have had it this long I may as well just rely on my trusty trazadone 50mg to help me sleep.

I have had fibro for over 10 years, since I was diagnosed the first time and no one ever acknowledged there was such a condition as FMS and I have been on many meds for pain, sleep, and was even taking the antidepressant meds WellebutrinXL and lexapro.

FMS is not a depression, nor can any medication make you believe that you are not having the symptoms and pain of it. I went cold turkey off of everything except my sleep meds. I feel like if I have a good quality of sleep and keep up my strength I can handle everything else.
  14. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

My legs get the "hebee-jebee's", not pain, and I have to move them. I don't know if that is true RLS or not. I also remember reading that it may increase if you are anemic, which I am.

maggie
  15. rockindee

rockindee New Member

I have periodic limb movement disorder, which keeps me from ever getting the deep (delta sleep). ALso RLS, now taking Neurontin and Klonopin and most of the time it stays in control, and I am sleeping better. I found I could not take Lortab for pain at bedtime with it though, it seems to keep it from working, possibly makes it worse for about 4 hours.

Bless us all
  16. taxi

taxi New Member

Hi all
    As i live in Aussie land and we are struggling through our summer i now have rls most nights-for me its like a million ants running all over my body just under the skin.Movement are simple exercises seem to help but the heat and the cold can make it worse.foam and rubber mattrasses helped but becouse of the heat all extras have had to be removed from the beds-please send me artumn so i can get some relief from this.
    best of luck to you all
  17. SueSnyder

SueSnyder New Member

I start having RLS shortly after I was diagnosed with FM. Rheumotologist prescribed low-dose Klonopin to calm it down, and that's what I've used for years. You do eventually get tolerant to Klonopin if you're not careful, though. I have to go off it for a week a couple times a year to keep that from happening.

[ advertisement ]