does anyone take a drug holiday from time to time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redtex, Mar 27, 2006.

1. redtex

redtex New Member

just to clear the drugs from your bodies. i am concerned with taking drugs everyday for the rest of my life. i am 50 and hope to live for 2 or 3 more decades. this is probably a stupid question buti am one of those who wonders if the long term use of drugs might create more health problems in the long term. a friend of mine developed facial tics from the use of prozac. i had a horrible reaction to both celebrex and flexeril. one was imediate and the other was after several weeks of use.best wishes to all.
  2. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I stop my Trazadone every so often because if I don't my body becomes immune to it and I go back to not sleeping at all. So I stop it for a couple of nights. I don't sleep well but when I go back on it it works again. Same with my Zanaflex. I also hate to have to be on meds everyday for the rest of my life but I guess I have no other choice unless I want to be miserable. Don't know if I was much help to you. Hope you get your answers. Best wishes.
  3. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

I am on my second internal cleanse after taking Temazapam for 6 week periods. After about four weeks using the sleep aid, my body begins to "cease up" due to toxic stress....I get asthma and a very stuffy head and sinuses and incredible brain fog. It takes about 2 weeks to clear my system using the internal cleanse regimen, and then I start sleeping better on my own. I try to stay off the meds for as long as I can....hopefully this time it will be longer than 3 weeks.....The problem is.... if I have to work at my stressful job then I pretty much have to use a sleep aid at night. After the last colon cleanse I had 2.5 months of complete relief from fibromyalgia pain!!!! I just hope it works again this time.
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Every month or six weeks I stop using everything for 2 - 3 days, excepting my pain meds (stopping those would bring about withdrawal symptoms as well as additional pain, neither of which I want to contend with).

The idea of a drug holiday didn't come as a recommendation from a doctor - just my own sense of what my body needs. I don't know if this short of a holiday gives my body time to re-group or heal from the effects of medication, but I don't think it does any harm.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

What did you do for a colon cleanse? How often have you done it? Did you feel like it really helped?
  6. livin4him

livin4him New Member

I just go by what my body tells me. It knows when it can't handle something or when it has had too much of something. I do cleanses also just to help my system rid itself of toxins.
  7. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

It was somewhat spur of the moment but I laid off most vitamin supplements and all but one med during the weekend. I figured I'd give my liver somewhat of a break, although temporary.