Does anyone take Abilify for depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Sep 16, 2012.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

When my depression got worse earlier this year and I started having more anxiety and panic attacks,my dr gave me abilify as an add on to my zoloft. I don't take it very much,because I don't know that much abt it. Since she sent me to a psych he's also giving it to me,free,but I still don't take it. I don't tell them this though. I don't know why I do this. But when I saw the psych Sat he said I have PTSD and he upped the zoloft to 200mg and told me I really needed to take the abilify and upped the xanax to 2mg. Whoa!!!

I'm just wandering if anyone takes it and what kind of side effects and has it really helped.
  2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Hi, keke.

I have never taken Abilify, but from what little I know about it, it is definitely one of those meds you have to take daily, not just "as needed". So you may be doing yourself more harm than good if you are only taking it sometimes.
  3. keke466

keke466 New Member

your probably right. I just get so darn tired of taking pills and supplements. I have to work myself up to taking the 200mg of zoloft cause I've been taking 100 in 2 doses. IDK maybe I don't want to face the fact that I need actually need more than what I've been taking. Guess that's why I've been feeling more depressed lately.
  4. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am so sorry you are struggling with depression right now. It is no fun, I know. I have struggled with it for pretty much my entire adult life, (actually starting even in my teens and maybe childhood, just not diagnosed then). It is hard to accept that you need medication and that you may need it long-term or even for life. I still struggle with that fact, even though I have taken medication for years, and even though I know my quality of life is much better with it than without it.

I hope you get the help you need, and hopefully someone can answer your question about Abilify more specifically. Be sure and communicate honestly with your doctor about your meds and what you are doing or not doing, and if it is working or not.

Take care!
  5. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've taken Abilify for over four months. I had been suffering from terrible anxiety attacks. At first I took 10 mg and found I was a walking zombie. When my doctor lowered my dosage to 5 mg, not only did the anxiety attacks disappear, but I got my energy and motivation back.

I've also been diagnosed with chronic depression (take Cymbalta) and PTSD.
  6. keke466

keke466 New Member

only 2mg. I went online and read alot about it last night and it's scary what people are saying abt it and what has happened to them. I'm very scared now to start taking it regularly.

Have you had any syptoms other than it being too much.
  7. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

Last winter, my Seasonal Affective Disorder got really bad. So my doctor put me on Abilify in conjunction with my Cymbalta. It was like a miracle. As I approach the coming winter (I live near Chicago) I will definitely take it again.

I have suffered with periodic depression throughout my life on top of CFS & Fibro. I don't know if that is why I get the S.A.D.D. so bad or not.

I also take many nutritional supplements and walk daily and that helps a lot also. So does melatonin in the winter.

I know it all sounds like a heavy dose of stuff, but I feel like I barely need any of it in the summer!

Good luck to you!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/30/2012]