Does anyone take anything to help with dizziness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by k5334, Jul 17, 2008.

1. k5334

k5334 New Member

I'm not dizzy (like in the room is spinning). It's more that I'm unbalanced, not that I have trouble with walking. It's like being on the virge of dizzy. It's kind of hard to describe but I'm having it almost daily.
  2. shelly11

shelly11 New Member

i take meclizine for that. works pretty good.
  3. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

It depends on the cause. Mine is most likely due to POTS. I take Florinef for it.

I also have some bacterial infections (including lyme, mycoplasma). Lyme can cause dizziness-vertigo, a sense of being off balance.

And then there is inner ear stuff like Meniere's disease.I don't know how it's treated but it can cause dizziness.
  4. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

I had that feeling like you are going to fall over - it sounds like what you are describing. I tried meclizine - but it made me drowsy and upset my stomach. Dr. finally put me on valium and it worked for me. There are also little patches you can put behind your ears - but they didn't work for me either.

That was a few years ago. I'm no longer on valium, but still take anti-anxiety med to help with dizziness and anxiety, now on klonopin.

5. star273

star273 New Member

Sometimes when I talk about Xanax on here, I think it sounds like I am addicted, but I can tell you I am not. The Dr. prescribes me with .5 mg. 3 times a day and I break it in half and take it once a day. Twice on a rare occasion when I am really stressed. But I think the Xanax works for the dizziness too. I have exactly what you are saying. I used to think I had a tumor or something, but the more I talk to people and the more I read, it goes along with fibro. My Dr. told me that it is a common symptom of what we have. I dont know why Xanax helps, but it does. it seems to take the edge off the pain I have too. I dont know if you have this or not, but I am always stuffy. All the time, I dont think that helps any. Good luck.
  6. Honora88

Honora88 Member

my dizziness, wooziness and naseaua stopped.
  7. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Do you know what your blood pressure is?

Mine is always quite low 92/64 ish. I have just bought some himalayan crystal salt that is supposed to help rebalance the body and also normalise low or high blood pressure. I have tried this for the last week and my blood pressure does seem to be getting better if I drink the brine solution. It also gives you more energy and 84 elements that your body needs to function.

Sodium chloride - is toxic so if you don't already use Himalayan salt then you might wish to look it up if you don't already have some. It's good for all of us anyway as a replacement.

8. pasara

pasara New Member

It does depend on the cause of your dizziness, but I notice a huge difference when I have various types of bodywork done. Massage therapy, chiropractic work, and osteopathy, inc cranial sacral therapy. For me, dizziness is quite often related to tightness in my neck especially.

FOYBOYFOY New Member

ive had major vertigo/dizzyness for 3 years and it just ruins my life. my neuro dr just put me on a low dose of valium, not sure yet..

look up VESTIBULAR DISORDERS a whole new world

10. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

k5334 - do you know if you have high or low blood presure? I have high that dropes drastically, and that is when I get dizzy. Maybe you need to check your bp frequently to test this out.

Redhummingbird - What is POTS?

Star273 - I took xanax at one time too, for anxiety, and that could be why I am alive today. DON"T worry about what others think, if it helps, take it.

jofms - What is Himalyan Salts? High blood pressure and salt doesn't go together. Would this be different than regular table salt or Kosher salt?

Good Luck everyone, and have a great day.

11. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Hi k5334,

We've talked about balance problems in the support group I attend and it seems to be very common. When I'm in a bad flare it can feel like I need to reach out and grab a wall or something, and sometimes it feels like the floor is spongy.

Another equilibrium-related problem we've talked about in the group is bumping into things... door frames, the edge of tables etc. I don't know if it's related but I think probably so.
  12. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

I started taking turmeric (the herb, not the spice) for vertigo and it worked like a charm for me, thanks to some great advice I received on here.

I hope you feel better soon!

God bless,
  13. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi Lillie,

Himalayan crystal salt is a natural salt with none of the added nasties such as aluminium or flouride added.

It contains the same elements we have in our bodies. I believe the way it works is it works to balance the body - it's very different from sodium chloride. It replaces electrolytes, minerals. etc. Our bodies are unable to absorb minerals from sodium chloride or even much from sea salt as the crystalline structure of them are isolated from each other meaning the body has to sacrifice a lot of energy with little results which results in much damage.

The Himalayan crystal salt can balance the bodies ph factor and also break down heavy metals and is good for many health problems. I think it's supposed to work in equilibrium with the body or something and regardless of high or low blood pressure it is supposed to help normalise it. you can make a solution of it called sole by putting the Himalayan salt crystals in water and taking a tsp every morning before breakfast. It's supposed to stay in your system for 24hrs. You can also use it in baths.

Google it and see what you can find.
  14. kathyw

kathyw New Member

I have been taking xanax for while in small doses like you. Don't worry about getting addicted. Your doctor will tell you if you are...If it helps why not take it.
  15. kathyw

kathyw New Member

My pressure is about 100 over 70. I really think that my job stress has a lot to do with my Fibro. I have ahad 4 managers in less than 3 years. About 6 people (in a very small dept) have been fired. I am the only original person left! Job security is an issue.