Does anyone take Cymbalta here?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Butterfly_of_grace, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

Doc gave me a Prescription of this a few months ago for the fibro. I am a whimp on trying new things because I react to prescrips so badly....but Im also desperate for some normalcy. I know its an anti-depressive that is new and has been also discovered to help Fibro. Im curious as to anyone out there who takes it, the effects of it and whether or not I should try. Id love input. Thanks everyone!
    <<<HUGS>>>
  2. app5775

app5775 New Member

Yes I have tried it and it does help somewhat with the pain. Ask your doctor to start you at a low dose to help your body adjust accordingly or until you feel the side affects or not by using it. It can cause stomach discomfort and nausea. I always take Zantac anyway because of stomach acidity problems I also have and so forth. Ask your Doctor if that will work for you and if so that can help if the Cymabalta does affect your stomach. As with most medications give it at least 2 weeks or more to see if you can tell any benefits from it or if it isn't for you. Consult your doctor for any other side affects that may bother you and go from there. I have used it and still do sometimes if my pain gets too bad. Your Doctor will have to guide you as to how often to take it, dosage, etc. and if you need to go off of it. Good Luck
  3. IowanMom

IowanMom New Member

I'm taking Cymbalta and have been taking it for almost 2 months now. They started me out at 60mgs. It does help somewhat with the pain. I've had some side effects but not many and they only lasted a couple of weeks.

I understand being a whimp to new things. I hate to take anything at all. But the only way to know though whether or not your body works with Cymbalta or anything else is to try it. And I guess you have to try it for 2 months to see if it really works or not.

Hang in there and give it a chance. If it doesn't work, see about trying something else. If it does work, great!

Good luck.

~ Amy ~
  4. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

i read your bio. i live in florida. originally lived in massachusetts, moved to St Thomas in the virgin islands....loved it there. my husband wanted to move back to the states...i said only if we live in sunny florida.

well, i did take cymbalta, and it did take away some of the pain but i got extreme nausea from it. i am very leary of antidepressants. i find other ways of getting rid of depression, like watch comedy or hang out with my very humerous teenage sons and very funny husband. some people really need them though. i had this idea that as soon as i started taking them that i would be happy...lol!

i have extreme anxiety and take lorazapam 1mg 3 times a day. it helps relax my nerves and with the pain medication it can really work well.

why take an antidepressant unless you absolutely need one. they can be very dangerous unless you find the perfect one for you. my sister ended up in the psyc ward from them although she is ok now.

doctors give them to patients like crazy. well i hope this helps you. remember, cymbalta is an antidepressant and has been shown to improve nerve pain. it's not for everyone.
  5. eva13

eva13 New Member

I haven't seen major improvement, but it helps a little with the pain.

I was suprised that I didn't have any side effects :)

The one thing that I do like about it is that I seem to have more energy.
    I used to come home from work, put my jammies on, and veg out on the couch all evening because I was exausted.
    Now I come home, do a few chores, read a book for about an hour, sit out in the yard with my dogs. I usually don't run out of energy until after 8:00.

Good luck if you decide to try it!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2006]
  6. kasilou

kasilou New Member

Hi,

Started taking Cymbalta in March 2006. I was like you, very concerned about starting new drug. The Dr gave me samples in July 2005 and kept telling me to take them since my pain with the fibro was very bad with vicodin not totally relieving pain. I researched well (I thought) and my doc assured me that the biggest side effect was nausea. He started me out on 30mg once a day and after 3-4 weeks upped the dosage to 30mg twice a day. Never really had nausea and almost immediately pain was less severe so I was really happy. The happiness was short lived since pain started to return which he didn't feel was possible, so he asked me to stay on it. Had side effects such as quick 20# weight gain ( which came at the worst time since my son got married and I had to keep getting a bigger size of dress). Worst that the weight, I looked pregnant since my abdomen felt like a big ballon ready to burst. Everytime I ate or eat anything my abdomen gets very distended and feels very uncomfortable. Then came the nite sweats. I hardly ever perspired, but everynite I would get up a couple of times to change my clothes and sometimes the sheets. I would be soaked. Of course another side effect was no orgasim. Also had some jerking of extremities (still do) especially when lying down. After all of these problems, I started doing more investigating and got on message boards specific to people trying to get off cymbalta. All the people had similar symptoms, some worse and the worst part was everyone was having difficulty getting off of cymbalta.

I decided to get off of it and I knew that it needed to be titrated. Talked to my dr. and I don't know what planet that he was from, but told me to drop to 30mg daily x 5 days then every other day for 5 then stop. By the time I started the every other day I woke up at nite thinking that I was having a stroke. Talked to my dr and he prescribed xanax, but talked to pharmacist and he said that was much too fast. Went to 30mg for 5 weeks then to every other day for 3 weeks and am now on 20mg every other day for 4 weeks. I feel awful, worst pain, flu symptoms, headache, severe fatique, brain zaps, body zaps, and still have bloaty belly with severe nausea and unable to lose any weight. Many people have called it the "drug from Hell" and I certainly agree. I hope that I will be able to get off of it. Sorry to be such a downer but I wish that someone would have told me this before I started it. All I'm suggesting is do some investigating about side effects and also about how people can get off of it. Eli Lilly , the maker, says the only thing that you have to do is titrate the drug to get off of it-that's not true!!!!

Good-luck with whatever you decide.

Kasilou
  7. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

OK...well thanks so much for the wealth of info. My decision is this; since I am now job hunting and I have to keep up with 4 kids and hubby and the house I decided I have no room in my life for feeling crappy from a prescription drug so Im not going to take it. Years ago (9 to be exact) after I had my second child I suffered from severe post-pardum depression. After suffering for 6 months and getting worse I went on an anti-depressive. I felt wonderful, had energy and such...no appetite whcih was weird, felt dizzy and my vision was impaired somewhat but emotionally mentally and physically I was doing well. After being on it for 6 months I gained 15 pounds out of no where...remember I had no appetite so i was not eating veyr much. I went off it on my own. I was real sick from going off of it...headaches trouble sleeping etc. Since then I have been anti-anti-depressant prescriptions.
    I just thought maybe a newer drug held promiss. Reading what you guys wrote has changed my mind and well, its not worth it for the minor relief it brought. Again, I have no room in my life for side affects and feeling crappier than I already do.

I was reading that Kava is good for anxiety and I am thinking about getting some and trying it. I know I have tried St. Johns wart with no change so I dont take that any more. Someone mentioned 5HPT (I think thats the word ? LOL).

Anyway, My body hates chemicals ...Id certainly make a horrible drug addict thats for sure as I cant stand the way any medication makes me feel including anti-biotics (I was recently on Levaquin from being sick and it made me sicker...so I stopped...we will see if in a few days I get sicker again).

thanks again
  8. djj

djj New Member

I had terrible foot pain for years and nothing seemed to help. Dr. put me on cymbalta and in three days my foot pain was much better. I really felt like it was a miracle. I really feel like it helps my feet, but I don't know if it has helped anything else. Makes me afraid to get off if has helped as much as it seems to.
  9. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This drug has helped me very much. I have more energy, I very seldom get nerve tingling, tremors or the creepy crawling feeling that I used to experience. It has also taken away most of my joint pain. I am doing much better than I was a year ago and know cymbalta has contributed to my ability to function better.

Everyone reacts to drugs differently. You can only try it to know what it will do for you (or not).
  10. dussault

dussault New Member

Greetings! Yes I am presently taking Cymbalta and so far it is good. I had been taking Doxepin and asked for a change because I was spending too much time in bed! Well I have more time on my feet now from the Cymbalta - meaning I'm awake more and it does help slightly with the pain but I've only been on it 2 weeks at a low dose; I'll be increasing the dose today but so far so good. A friend of mine turned me on to it and it has worked miracles for her and her pain. I'm excited about feeling better. God bless ya!
  11. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

No. No way in the world. No way in H***.

I react very oddly to any anti'd that has been given me as part of the "Let's Try This and see what happens to you" school of ?medicine?...be the anti'ds be SSRIs or TCAs.

Everybody's different, what works like dynamite for one can blow up, or knock flat, another a la dynamite.

I just don't enjoy being made to feel more like rotten garbage after trying the latest experiment than I did before trying it.

Must be a huge flaw in my character, this being such a hard-to-manage patient.

Lea.
  12. atxlady66

atxlady66 New Member

i had a very bad reaction to this drug sweats sick at my belly 24/7 could barley get off my couch headaches i take lyrica nad ultercet which help i try not to take the lyrcia as it cuases weight gain
  13. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

Well the docs are still trying to comfirm why I'm sick and they figured it could be depression so she put me on cymbalta and I reacted badly to it. I was in bed for two days with an upset stomach. It takes a few weeks for the body to get used to it. Everyone reacts differently though.
  14. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

I cant tell that it helps that much now .It did when I
    first went on it many months ago.The biggist side affect
    for me is weight gain so it is a always a trade off
    like the tradeing the devil for the witch.
    Good Luck momwinterwhite
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

I've taken it since it first came out -- and I love it!!

It has really helped my fibro pain (as well as Neurotin has).

Had no side effects to it -- except, when I worked up to the 60 mg daily dose, it made me too sleepy. So, I asked my doc to prescribe it in 30 mg capsules so I could take one in the AM and one at bedtime. Perfect! No longer got sleepy during the day!

Janet
  16. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

I have been on it for 6 months and it has helped my fibro
    pain tremendously. I still will flare but it doesn't last
    too long and the pain is cut by half.

When I first started it, it made me a little sick to my
    stomach (mostly at night). I finally got thru that. It
    also gave me energy and help decrease my appetite.

I started out with 30mgs an now am on 60mgs. I know am
    seeing weight gain. But it really is hard on your sex
    life.

I will see the doctor soon and I may have to have
    some adjustments made to my med program. I just want to
    continue to be almost pain free. It is worth it!

I get so much more done and have so much more energy
    and experience fun with my family.

God Bless you on your decision.

Maribelle
  17. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

I have been on every anti-depressant known in every combination known and have been on Cymbalta for over a year. I am taking it for depression and was bumped up to 90 mgs. last month and it still does nothing for either my FM or depression.

But, that's just me...I'm sure that it affects different people in different ways and it may help you.

Good luck!
  18. hob

hob New Member

I have take cymbalta for a little over a year after trying a menagire of others. I helps a lot with the overall ache and the depression that comes along with having a condition like ours. I think it is worth a shot
  19. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I had all the negatives mentioned above. I jump off these drugs cold turkey. That is a bad idea, but I also have bad reactions to these drugs that my Dr. experiments on me, at my body, and minds expense.What I wanted to contribute though, is this. Don't quote me, I was told that the patent was about to run out, which would make it possible for generic equivalents. If cymbalta could now be used for pain, it could get a new patent, thus preventing generic remakes.it previously was just for depression, I question it's benefit of either.
  20. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Hi,

I have taken cymbalta for about 3 months now. I started at 30 mg and now take 60 mg/day. I love it. I have not felt this great in a long time. My energy level has increased and I can handle the 'bad' days a lot better than before.

I used to drop into a severe depression, now I can hold my head up and admit that I am sick.

I also take Calcium w/Vitamin D; Ultram; Requip and Restoril.

good luck!!

Dawn