does anyone take GABA for anxiety and stress?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 31, 2012.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I've been taking l25 mg. sublingual for about a month but recently ordered 500 mg. to swallow. Should I take that much or cut it in half or what? Any thoughts. Does this help you?
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid that helps the brain produce GABA, and I've read that it crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily than straight GABA. Many people on this board take l-theanine or GABA with good results. It is a calming neurotransmitter but doesn't drug you.

I take 200 mg. l-theanine before bed and it does help with sleep. I'm also sensitive to MSG - it causes severe insomnia for me - and if I accidentally eat something with MSG for dinner, I've found that l-theanine calms my brain down so I can sleep - great stuff!

Mary
  3. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I use GABA for sleep. I take 1400 for sleep at night along with melatonin and l-theanine.
    I take l theanine during the day as needed. I no longer have to take klonopin because these amino acids work so well!

Good luck to you!
  4. zorski53

zorski53 Member

I have also tried GABA with l theanine and Relax all. Aka phenibut. I had been taking for. A long time.
    Over time I developed a severe allergy to l theànine and Valerian root. I've been in the emergency room three times with an allergic reaction. Not sure causing it. I believe it to L theanine which is in those nature made sleep capsules. The first severe allergic reaction was after I drank some calming ginger tea that had suntheanine. Itchy burning skin heart racing trembling hands. So bad I called 911.

I guess I'll just stick with melatonin. One night I went to bed early. Took ten of those nature made capsules and ten GABA. WOKE UP MISERABLE. Don't trust any OTC sleep aids is. Diphenhydramine,l theanine. Phenibut which is a combination of supplements including Valerian root. Be careful if you are taking any prescription meds. Talk to your doctor first.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. zorski53

zorski53 Member

And prescription meds may interact with any number of supplements.