does anyone take GABA for anxiety and stress?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 31, 2012.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I've been taking l25 mg. sublingual for about a month but recently ordered 500 mg. to swallow. Should I take that much or cut it in half or what? Any thoughts. Does this help you?
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid that helps the brain produce GABA, and I've read that it crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily than straight GABA. Many people on this board take l-theanine or GABA with good results. It is a calming neurotransmitter but doesn't drug you.

I take 200 mg. l-theanine before bed and it does help with sleep. I'm also sensitive to MSG - it causes severe insomnia for me - and if I accidentally eat something with MSG for dinner, I've found that l-theanine calms my brain down so I can sleep - great stuff!

3. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I use GABA for sleep. I take 1400 for sleep at night along with melatonin and l-theanine.
    I take l theanine during the day as needed. I no longer have to take klonopin because these amino acids work so well!

Good luck to you!
  4. zorski53

zorski53 Member

I have also tried GABA with l theanine and Relax all. Aka phenibut. I had been taking for. A long time.
    Over time I developed a severe allergy to l theànine and Valerian root. I've been in the emergency room three times with an allergic reaction. Not sure causing it. I believe it to L theanine which is in those nature made sleep capsules. The first severe allergic reaction was after I drank some calming ginger tea that had suntheanine. Itchy burning skin heart racing trembling hands. So bad I called 911.

I guess I'll just stick with melatonin. One night I went to bed early. Took ten of those nature made capsules and ten GABA. WOKE UP MISERABLE. Don't trust any OTC sleep aids is. Diphenhydramine,l theanine. Phenibut which is a combination of supplements including Valerian root. Be careful if you are taking any prescription meds. Talk to your doctor first.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. zorski53

zorski53 Member

And prescription meds may interact with any number of supplements.