Does anyone take Gabapentin for either FM or essential tremors?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sunflowergirl, Jun 15, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I suffer greatly from both and I've been reading that this RX helps with both conditions. I would be interested in what anyone has to say about taking this.
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

We have several patients on gabapentin (neurontin) for both FM and ME/CFS.
    With mixed results.
    As far as tremors are concerned the gabapentin seems to help most of those with tremors. It takes around 7 days to have effect and you may only need to take 300mg at night. However we do have people on much higher doses (upto 1200mg).
    I would start on the smallest 300mg dose and see if it works for you but you must give it a week before deciding if it is working and whether to stay on that dose. If your tremors are related to another cause though I cannot say whether it will be effective.

Some people got headaches from it but these passed. It also appears that dose changes cause headaches.
    It is also very good in combination with paracetamol where it increases the effectiveness of paracetamol significantly making paracetamol useful for pain in FM which it would not normally be.
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

thanks Ian. You're such a font of knowledge for this board and I know we all appreciate your posts. I'm learning so much from you.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Its a pleasure, thanks.
    The feature article on the front page of PH is relevant too. Gabapentin is effective in many cases of polyneuropathy which is possibly the underlying cause of FM in 40%+ cases. Gabapentin was developed as an alternative anticonvulsant for epileptics but was quickly found to reduce neuropathic pain in shingles, diabetes, and post-operative neuropathy.

I found it useful when I was withdrawing from buprenorphine (like fentanyl).
  5. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

hello sunflower, i took gabapentin for 3 1/2 years. My dosage increased within that time to 1200mg, which then started to cause me jerky limb movements, i reduced the dosage but the affectiveness wore off. However, in those years i took it i found it helpful for pain relief, it kind of distances you from it.

I tried it again a couple of years ago, again it helped with pain but this time i felt it made me distant from my emotions and character to making me feel robotic, i didnt like that, so i stopped it. But I found it to be one of the most affective medications for fibro pain.

kind regards

Ameile
  6. bct

bct Member

I take gabapentin (Neurontin) and have for a number of years. I have CFS, but am taking it for peripheral neuropathy. At one time I was taking 2700 mgs (900mgs t.i.d.) a day. It certainly soothed my nerves! I now take 1200 mgs a day (b.i.d.). Really bad neuropathy does demand a higher dose according to doctor Norman Latov in his book on peripheral neuropathy published by the American Academy of Neurology (Cornell Univ.?)

I was able to lower my dose to the 1200 mgs. by taking 600 mgs of alpha-lipoic acid a day. The latter has helped a number of people I know.

I had no real problems with the gabapentin, except maybe a little dozy, but then I am anyway from other meds.!

It is interesting to note that Neurontin (gabapentin) was suggested --along with Klonopin-- as a calmative for the racing brain syndrome that many of us CFS people have.....

Regards,
    Barry
  7. Hello
    I take Gabapentin for both fibromyalgia and essential tremor