Does anyone take GABAPENTIN (NEURONTIN)??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crdmkr2004, Feb 1, 2006.

1. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I am on so many meds and my Rheumatolgist just added another one to help with the pain. Has anyone taking this and do you find it helps at all. Also what dosage are you up to per day. Thanks for your input.
    I am already on Plaquenil,Arthrotec 75, Clonazepam, Celexa, and Tylenol
    Any input would be great.
    Thanks
    Sandy
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

sorry, don't mean to be following you around here - just answered your other post. I take so many meds too and the doctor wants me to add Cymbalta.
    About Neurontin, I have been taking 800mg. which is a low dose, but it causes fatigue with me and a lot of brain fog.
    But, one good thing about N. is that it is not metabolized by the liver which my doctor said, it is excreted through the kidneys. So at least you won't be stressing out your liver by adding this drug.
  3. stray

stray New Member

Hi, I have taken a lot of drugs. Many of them have been terrifying. I would do anything to find an alternative. However, I can not do without neurontin. As far as anti-seizure drugs go, it's the only one I would take. I take about 2400mg/daily. It calms the accute pain and general oversensitization. It makes me feel drugged and it's difficult to concentrate, but that's all unless it's doing other things of which I am unaware. Hope this helps!
    -Stray
  4. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

It was wonderful and one of the drugs I feel helped me to this stage of my recovery from FM.

look at my profile and you will see some of my posts on the pro's and con's I had with Neurontin... most of my posts on a particular subject will have it in the title for easy search.

Good look as you search for answers.
  5. tobyj

tobyj New Member

Took it at the highest dose for about 3 weeks, and I had a lot of problems with the side effects. I know others it has been a lifesaver for. Hope it works for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Toby
  6. tess0306

tess0306 New Member

I have been taking this drug since 1992. Now I am up to 5400 mgm as of now...I still have some pain, but I notice if I get stressed out, that is when the pain gets worse. I do not take anything else for pain. I do take alot of meds and all of them are at maximum or above..I do get brain fog alot. I can't remember some words when I am in a conversation. I get strange looks when this happens. Kind of embarrasing. I was a perfect speller before. Now I can't spell some of the easiest words. Never thought my life would end up this way. I am on my disability and that is depressing alone. I have got lost to come home. Knew my address, but didn't know how 2 get there. Other than the weight gain....it's all good...LOL! However, I have not had any other abnormal side effects from this med. God bless all of you and hopefully they will come up with a medication that will reverse this chronic disease. Sorry about being so long winded. No one really thinks we are not sick because we don't really look it...so, it hard to explain to others...WOW..I wish I had a book they could read to hand out so they would understand..Once again, God bless you and I will remeber every one of the people on this board in my prayers!
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I take Morphine and used to be on Lortab but Neurontin targets that baack breaking pain that I ge: so it's my best med.Some body had a post on what meds every body takes.The most listed I think were Neurontin and Cymbalta(don'y know what that is ,I don't take it.Hope you get the info that you need.Linda My dosage is 600mg--2pills each morning,noon and evening.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2006]
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I take it at night and it helps me sleep. I take 1200 mgs. When I take it at night, I don't have any problems during the day (other than the usual Fibro stuff).
  9. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Hi Tobyj
    I am just curious as to what side affects you experienced so I can watch for them myself. II am really hoping this stuff helps, I am sick of being in pain, I want to exercise and I can't. I had started curves last spring and was doing great, lost 30 pounds and 26 inches and then due to pain had to quit and haven't been able to go back since. Of course I have gain 1/2 the weight back and am now more depressed than I have ever been. I don't know what else to do. So I am really hoping the Neurontin helps.
    Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2006]
  10. leubie

leubie New Member

Hey Everyone!!!! Last year i bought a great book on fibro---Fibromyalgia for Dummies. My dad bought it for me when i was newly dx. The book really helped me and people w/o fibro on how we can all deal. Biggest probelm is gettin the non fibros to read-but it is worth what ever you have to do to get them to read!!!!The book has alot of info on everything(Drs.,meds.dx,appt.,and etc.) Hope this is helpful for yall. Take Care,Be Well,Get Rest&Hopefully lets all find a way TO STOP THE PAIN-----TOGETHER!!! Love always,Laura-Ga.
  11. leubie

leubie New Member

tess0306--i just posted about a book on fibo--please read post & book & let me know what you think---my name is Laura and i live in Ga. MY sreenname is leubie... im new and look foward in talking w/ you and others and having some new friends!!!! always....., laura-Ga.
  12. bct

bct Well-Known Member

for neuropathy. Started about two weeks ago, working up to 2400mgs slowly. No effects yet on the neuropathy - too soon yet -- but I have noticed some mood stabilization, which is a nice side-effect! Also, I am sleeping better!

Hope it helps you, Sandy!

PS: My mom who has severe FM and is on Oxycontin took it and it helped here immensely. She was able to cut her Oxy intake by half. Unfortunately, she couldn't stay on the Neurontin because of extreme edema of lower extremities, so doc. took her off of it. She has always had problems with her legs swelling.