Does anyone take melatonin at night?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by cbella, Aug 16, 2005.

1. cbella

cbella New Member

Dr. Dantini told me to take 10-20mg of melatonin for sleep. I went to buy it today and the doses are 2 or 3mg. The lady thought 10 or 20mg was wrong. Does anyone else take high doses of this? He said my circadian level was upside down and I needed to reverse it. HELP?? :)cbella
  2. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

night night little lovin - and I have a wonderful restful sleep for a change. That does from things I have read a high dose of melatonin. But then it is trial and error for us all - isn't it - LOL
  3. Shannah

Shannah Member

I take 5 mg. melatonin at night. Can't sleep if I take more and can't sleep if I take less. I also have only found one brand that works for me.

I'm on another board though where I know many of the people there take much more. I've heard of up to 15 mg. nightly. So again, these disorders can have such an individualized impact on each of us. I think you just have to experiment to see what works for you. From all of my research on melatonin it can do you no harm.

Shannah
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That does sound like a very large amount of Melatonin.

I take 2 1/2 milligrams at night. I used to take 5mgs, then cut it down to 2 1/2mgs, and sometimes I take just 1 1/2mgs.

Its your doctor, but I would try a lower dose first and see how it works for you. YOu can always go to higher dose if necessary.

I have stayed at the above dosage now for over 12 years. Never had to go any further than the 5mgs.

No one knows if there are any long term side effects. I have not had any in all these years, but I did not take large dosages either.

Good luck!

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2005]
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I went through withdrawals for 3 nights and couldn't sleep at all and was thrashing about all night long.

Finally, have been able to get back to my normal sleep patterns.

The reason I quit was because it wasn't working and also I had strange red football shaped small red spots on my hips and waist and a few other places. I don't know if that was the melatonin or not, but it is much better now.

I had no idea that quitting the melatonin that I have been on since May would cause withdrawals, but it did and I won't take it anymore.

It is possible that it was interacting with another Rx I was taking. I really don't know... My doctor had told me it was okay to take it.

You might want to ask your doctor about that dose again. Tell him it only comes in 3 mg. or 2 mg. The suglingual I was taking was 2.5 mg.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Most melatonin supplements contain much more melatonin than the human body produces naturally. Some health care practitioners question the safety of this.

I have also read that melatonin needs to be taken at a specific time, but that the specific times varies from person to person. Determining the correct dose and timing for an individual is very complicated and requires the controlled environment of a sleep lab.
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

Natural Health or Alternative Health, or something like that (it's in the bedroom, and my husband is sleeping)...

My own experience -- I have taken it, and I used to split the 3 mg tablets into quarters. With me, the less I took, the better it worked. Then I found a .5 mg tablet and took that for a while.

In fact, I was up late -- can't sleep -- thinking I should take some when I thought I'd just surf a bit instead.

Anyhow, back to the article...it said that a recent study showed that common OTC melatonin dosages were 10X higher than needed. The article suggested 3 MICROgrams (3 milligrams is 10X more). It said that people who take large dosages (and please know that I'm flying by the seat of my pants w/paraphrasing now...) de-sensitize the receptors for the body's own melatonin and after a while, the receptors die back, making the dose ineffective and making it harder for your body to do it on its own.

The 3 micrograms was a recommendation based on physiological dose (what the body actually requires) and would not cause desensitization.

So you could find a .5 mg tablet and split it in two for 2.5 micrograms. I found my .5's at a natural foods store.
  8. cbella

cbella New Member

for all your answers. You're the greatest! cbella
  9. Martingray

Martingray New Member

Cbella,

Really, not all that much is known about Melatonin at this point. It is a hormone and that is a very heavy dosage. Some doctors recommend starting at a dosage of .5 Mg. I have never heard of a doctor recommending more than 6 Mg.

I am currently using a SAD light or light box in an attempt to reset my circadian rhythm. So far, (three nights) I have not noticed any improvement but intend to give it a full month trial because the light boxes can be expensive.

You may be interested in knowing that Takeda Corporation is coming out with a sleep aid by the end of September. It is called Rozerem and works by increasing Melatonin levels. Your doctor may or may not be up on the latest advances in sleep aid products. Rozerem has been approved by the FDA and does not require DEA approval and is not considered a controlled substance as are Sonata, Ambien and Lunesta and all of the benzodiazapines. I expect it would help more with sleep latency problems than with sleep maintenance (waking in the middle of the night and being unable to return to sleep).

One thing to watch with Melatonin … if you have an autoimmune disease, Melatonin will likely make it worse and especially at the high dosages recommended by your doctor. I have oral Lichen Planus and it will return in three or four nights after I start taking Melatonin. If you have Lupus or MLS or any of the autoimmune diseases, it is best to stay far away from Melatonin.

Martin

[This Message was Edited on 08/17/2005]
  10. Mother_Margaret

Mother_Margaret New Member

I don't know why, but the bottle asks people with autoimmune issues to not take melatonin. I like it myself, but don't take it on even an infrequent basis.

Check more info & things that often go with CFIDS would be things like not sleeping (from CNS harm), diabetes, Syndrome X and many, many autoimmune issues.

Yes, glandular, hormonal function is abnormal many times. Not always the same for everyone. I only talk about the chemical exposure to 2-butoxyethanol which I suspect for causing such. www.valdezlink.com/scenario.htm It never causes just one thing, though, if you have your own direct exposure; however, singular items are possible to children of those with CFS

More on what this chemical does & some helps:

http://www.valdezlink.com/acute.htm

Research is done. Missing link is recognizing the harm it does
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I take 3mg and wanted to go up some and could not find anywhere on the net that did not say not to take more than 5mg. I went to 1 1/2 pills for a few nights then back to one.

I would call the doc and ask to be sure, but that sounds like one of you got your wires crossed.

Sonya
  12. cbella

cbella New Member

the doctor's office to verify the dosage. He said yes, that was correct, start with 10 and go up to 20mg. Unless someone can tell me they have taken that much, I don't think I will take any more than 2 - 3mg tablets (the bottle said you can take 2 tabs at night. =) cbella
  13. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

It shouldn't be a guessing game....I thought I needed melatonin but it was not working for me. So, I took the saliva test which revealed I was not low in melatonin at all..no wonder it didn't work for me. I was not sleeping because of a lack of serotonin which a urine test revealed. Now I'm taking 5-HTP (natural precursor to serotonin) and sleeping like a baby....well, almost.
    skinnymini
  14. cbella

cbella New Member

No I haven't had any kind of test like that. Also, since this doctor who is treating me is in Florida and I'm in NC,he treats me by phone. I tried to tell him I'm not sleeping because of the pain, not that I have insomnia. He says I need to take this, but I'm still not sure. I took 3mg tonight and I don't plan on taking any higher than that for now. See if that helps at all. =} cbella
  15. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I still can't believe that. You have to do what you think is best, but I WOULD NOT take anywhere near that. 3mg when I first started it would put me under in 20 minutes and I would sleep like the dead until the alarm went off and then stumble to the shower.

The good part is that once I got up and in the shower, the effects wore off right away and it did not leave me feeling groggy or hung over, which is why I like it versus sleeping pills or Benadryl, etc.

If I were you, I would start and work up if I needed to.

Sonya

PS we don't want you to wake up dead!!!
  16. Mother_Margaret

Mother_Margaret New Member

I suspect people with CFS have many autoimmune issues.

Are you trying to get to sleep? I posted a sleep help under the depression info (in small doses, it helps with sleep)

But again, check to see if you have any autoimmune issues. (I do: diabetes type 2, syndrome X) and if so, the instructions on the melatonin will say DO NOT TAKE if you have autoimmune issues (& again I do not know why they say that), but I stopped taking melatonin when I realized that.

here is a list I've put together for things that are autoimmune: http://www.valdezlink.com/pages/autoimmune.htm
  17. cbella

cbella New Member

Is FM considered autoimmune? Anyway, I only took 3mg last night and slept fairly well except for the pain in my arms waking me up. Anyone else have that problem with their arms at night? They are painful and also "pins and needles". keep smiling! cbella