Does anyone take nurotin for fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carolannwestern, Aug 9, 2008.

1. carolannwestern

carolannwestern New Member

They have tried me on Lyrica and I almost died from it. Thank God my husband was home. I passed out from my heart beating so fast. Then they put me on Cymbalta. Not good either. That raised my blood presure and they couldn't get it down while on the drug. I am now on Effixor, 75 mg. twice a day. They are discussing putting me on nurotin next. I don't know much about this drug. If anyone out there is on this for the fibro please let me know.
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

is a cousin to Lyrica (pregabalin)...different medication but in the same family meaning they have similar results. A lot of people on here take Neurontin...if you put that name into the search box you should find a lot of posts about it.
  3. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I took it and it did absolutely nothing for my pain.
  4. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

We are all different so what helps one may actually hurt another. That said, neurontin (gabapentin) has done wonders for me. The very first night I was on it I slept better than I had in years. I now take 1200 mg a day and if I miss a dose, I hurt bad!

My mom who also has FM was initially on lyrica, but switched to neurontin because it's so much cheaper. She too has done really well. She used to have severe burning pain especially in feet and legs and places on her skin too sensitive to even touch. She's on 1800 mg and has very little of the burning now.

Neither of us has had any side effects, but there's a woman in our local support group who tried it and even a low dose just knocked her out. If you almost died from lyrica I would be VERY CAUTIOUS about neurontin and ask your dr. to start you on a very low dose until you see if you can tolerate it.
  5. harboreen

harboreen Member

Hi Carolann
    I take Neurontin for fibromyalgia.
    I've taken it for many years. It helps me.
    I couldn't take LYRICA. Oh it was downright awful for me. Someone mentioned these two meds to be in the same family, this is true although Neurontin takes a different pathway in the way it works.
    Along with fibro pain I suffer with a lot of aching,burning ache throughout my entire body. Neurontin helps a great deal to calm this down, also aleviates some of the pain.
    I hope this helps you : )