Does anyone take oxytocin ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by standessin, Dec 19, 2007.

1. standessin

standessin New Member

Does anyone take oxytocin, if so how much and any results?

2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I do. I take 20 mg , 3 times a day. Since it's extended release it keeps the 'ups and downs" of the shorter acting pain relievers at bay. It never lasts as long as it says it should. I've heard that repeatedly from many people and I agree.
    What were you prescribed and it is helping you?
  3. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Do you mean "oxytocin" which is used for delivery in pregnancy, or "oxycontin" which is used for pain? I am not making fun of your question at all if it is an error because sooooo many medications today are being used for purposes that they are not originally designed for.

Big Hug!

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I use compounded oxytocin....which indeed is the hormone produced in great quantites during pregnancy and used for labor (often under the name "Pitocin").

I use a compounded pill. I think the amount is 20 units per day, time-release.

Oxytocin is released in great quantites at orgasm and during pregnancy/childbirth, and has a tremendous feel-good quality.

It's supposed to be released in smaller quantities all of the time. For those of us with general hormone deficiencies though, that may not happen.

I've read before that CFS sufferers who are low in oxytocin have pale skin and kind of a lackluster feeling about life. That is different than being depressed or tired or "CFS malaise." (It's funny how well one can distinguish between different ways of feeling bad!)

The first time I took that supplement, I didn't expect it to do anything right away and totally forgot about it. Then a few hours later, I was surprised to find myself feeling happy for no reason. It took me a while to connect it to the pill, but the effect has been very consistent.

I tried the shots (which are available through regular pharmacies) for a while, but I think the pills worked better for me.

This has been one of my favorite supplements and I'm not sure why more people don't use it. I like it a lot.

More recently (since I've been detoxing the mold poisons), I've been feeling really good without it. I think that all my hormones are normalizing very quickly, and so this is no surprise. I'd go back on it in a flash if I started to feel that it would help me though.

The only problem is that compounded medicines are expensive and not really reimbursed for me. This costs me $1 per pill. Well worth it in order to add happiness to life, if it works....
  5. standessin

standessin New Member

I was looking at my best friend on the web WIKEPEDIA and learning a little about the brain, seems like an ideal supplement for men and women with CFS.

Yes I do mean oxytocin!! THANKS
  6. ETN

ETN New Member

I give myself injections weekly...of oxytocin and have for 3 years. Some weeks I do it 3 times.

I also do B-12 injections and just recently started magnesium injections.
    I find the magnesium shot hurts and I usually bruise.

I do feel all of these help me and I do notice when I do not use them.

7. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

I tried these injections about 2 yrears ago. The Dr. I was seeing prescribed them to help twice a week to treat my pain. (along with many other things) It is supposed to increase nitric oxide production; which in turn decreases pain.(According to this Dr.)

I tried them, but unfortunately, the Oxytocin gave me headaches/ Migraines. I don't know why, but I react this way to many meds! I am prone to Migraines, and it seems that when I start a trial of a medication, it often times will cause a worsening of my headaches. It's a real bummer.

In theory, it seems like this hormonal injection would help. Maybe my reaction is very rare...Wouldn't be the first time! My body is just SO strange...

I'd say it's worth a try for you to see if it is helpful.

[This Message was Edited on 12/21/2007]
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm so sorry - I didn't even realize that you typed oxytocin, not oxycontin - just ignore my previous post!! LOL
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Tell me more about this -
    did your doc suggest it to you - is it prescribed? What does it do for you?
  10. standessin

standessin New Member

Just kidding, check out lisa p info on it Thanks
  11. lea

lea Member

please let me know how many ML you use of oxytocin?
    thank you
  12. spacee

spacee Member

I believe it was Dr. Charles Lapp who first treated his patients with this drug. And has for a long time. A quote from my take it for what it's worth..."this drug can be a miracle drug for some patients but doesn't work for all" Charles Lapp.

I talked my pcp into prescribing it. He talked to the compounding pharmacist since he could not find it in his PDR. He would only prescribe 10u (is what my rx says) and made me promised to not take more than that a day.

I felt like it lifted my mood for a while but after I raised my B-12 amount and started the Kirkman Magnesium cream, I felt I didn't need it any longer.

If you have not tried the Mag cream, I would highly recommend that you do. It again, is something that either really helps or doesn't. I use 1/4 of the recommended dose and it helps me for several hours. If I put it too close to my head (on my shoulders) it gives me a be careful about that. You can find where to buy it by googling Kirkman Magnesium Cream about $18 a jar and it will last me a couple of months, if not more.

Sorry, for the off topic!!

13. ETN

ETN New Member

it's been awhile since I have been on it and I don't recall what the dosage was, sorry.
    are you doing them? check with your dr if you are because I am sure it's different for everyone.