Does anyone take Vicodin for pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GoDaleJr, Aug 28, 2002.

1. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

Does anyone take Vicodin for pain? How do you react to it? Have you ever taken it on an empty stomach?
  2. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

Does anyone take Vicodin for pain? How do you react to it? Have you ever taken it on an empty stomach?
  3. CAREN

CAREN New Member

I TAKE VICODIN FOR PAIN. IT WAS THE FIRST PAIN MED MY DOCTOR RECOMENDED FOR ME. AT FIRST I WAS TAKING ONE EVERY FOUR TO SIX HOURS. EVENTUALLY IT WAS ONE EVERY 3 TO 4 HOURS. IT WAS NOT TAKING AWAY ENOUGH PAIN AND I TOLD MY DOCTOR SO. SO THEN SHE RECOMENED OXYCONTIN. THIS WORKED WELL FOR TAKING AWAY THE PAIN, PROBLEM WAS I SLEPT ALL THE TIME, DAY AND NIGHT. THAT IS NO WAY TO LIVE, SO I WENT BACK ON THE VICODIN. I NOW TAKE TWO EVERY 12 HOURS. IT IS DOING OK FOR ME. I DO NOT TAKE ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT SOMETHING IN MY STOMACH UNLESS THE DIRECTIONS SAY TO. I HAVE HAD ULCERS BEFORE SO I NOW PROTECT MY STOMACH. I ALSO TAKE PREVICID WITH MY MEDICATIONS. I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU EAT SOMETHING BEFORE TAKING VICODIN EVEN IF IT IS JUST A CRACKER OR TWO. CAREN
  4. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I was always told NEVER to take any meds on an empty stomach unless, specifically(sp) told to take them that way..Even if you only eat a couple of crackers and maybe a glass of milk..I also take Prevacid to protect my stomach from certain medications that I take..
    Vicodin is one of the pain pills I can tolerate at a low dose, but they are very addicting and some drs. don't like to prescribe them too much..
    My personal view is if they are not addicting, they are still habit-forming no matter what the drug is..Tylenol can become habit-forming..So it's a no win situation..
    Some drs. fail to tell you that some of these other meds. are addicting too..
    Take Care...Best Wishes.........Donna
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Did you see my reply on the chitchat board (and no, I didn't think you were whiny!)?

You're just going to have a prescription for after your procedure, right? If so, you shouldn't have them in your system long enough to get addicted, or have problems that way.

Read my post, and if you have any more questions, I'll be checking both boards off and on today (as I don't have work today-yippee!!)

Take care. Michele
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I take Vicodin mainly because I have a bad reaction to just about everything else.

I drink a glass of milk with mine and then afterwards, usually half an hour or so, I eat something, like a cracker or yougart, that way I don't have an upset stomach.

There is a difference in needing Pain relief and being addicated. If your taking them short term for Pain and when the pain reduces so will the need for higher pain controll. Make sense? ;o) I sometimes make things as clear as mudd.

Hope everything goes well for you, and you will be happy to have the Vicodins If you have intense pain, I know I am, I didn't before and I sat around hurting needlessly.

Sincerely,
    kredca4
  7. Lanie

Lanie New Member

And it was pretty much like taking a tictac. It did NOTHING for me. I tried Percocet, which worked for the pain but made me horribly ichy. I am now using Tylenol 3 for breakthru pain.
    Lanie
  8. blast

blast New Member

Hydrocodone, generic for Vicodin, is a great pain reliever, if used the correct way.
    You will not become an "addict" if it just for short term, even long term is considered "dependant". I have been on this drug for over two yrs, and I couldn't live without it.
    It has helped me get through the real bad flares and to contiue being a good parent. There were days I couldn't get up out of bed, so who was going to take care of the kids?
    My doctor has always been very good at pain control, so I am lucky there.
    Just take your doses as instructed by the physician and you should have no problems. If you are on it for any long time frame, make sure to wean yourself off the drug. Never abruptly stop taking it. You can have withdrawal.
    Good luck,
    Blast
  9. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I know vicodin by any other name i.e. tylenal-3, lortab, et al. hydrocodone by any other name is hydrocodone...however in the mind of the public, down here in dust-bowl TX, vicodin brings to mind "hoodlums" wanting it. I've had locals come and ask me if I have any vicodin they can buy. Ha! I have to laugh...they didn't ask if I had any lortab for sale! SO...

At 54 I don't give a rats bottom whether it is a medication I am dependent on for pain relief or if someone wants to call me an addict..come on! If I only had FMS I believe I could take something else but I have developed spinal stenosis w/nerve entrapment and just had another to ck. the progression from 2-years ago and the arthritis otherwise known as DDD has worsened. For that condition I take lortab.

For those who have a favorable response to hydrocodone, please be aware that you can get it in the following strengths...the first no. is the amt. of codeine or synthetic codeiene (sp) and the second is the amt. of tylenol.; 5.5/500; 7.5/500; 10/500 and 10/700. I presently take 10/500 three times a day. Sometimes I need 4 a day (a day being 24-hrs).

Note I said I take lortab. Same as vicodin but not as loaded a term. I have liver profile done every 6-months due to the tylenol. Love.....CactusLil'

10. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

I am just going to take it after my teeth surgery.
    So, no one had any side effects??? Codeine used to make my heart race. but I told the surgeon and he wasn't concerned.
    i won't be able to eat after surgery. so i was just wondering how to take it on an empty stomach. sneak some milk down????