Does Anyone Use a CANE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cookie1960, Jul 28, 2008.

1. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Before I was diagnosed with FM I had to use a cane because my balance was off and I was dizzy most of the time. My meds have cleared up most of the symptoms, but I still have "those times" when I feel unsteady.

When I am with my husband - I know he is there for support. But if I am out alone, I get a little panicky when I start to feel dizzy or light-headed.

So...my question is...do you take a cane with you when you are out on your own? It really makes me feel like people are staring and judging. Having FM, I don't look sick, and at 48, I look much younger then my age.

Would appreciate your suggestions or input. Am I being too vain? Should I look at this as a safety issue? I feel like I'm giving into this DD by using a cane.

thanks,
    ~Cookie~
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I bumped some cane threads that were active recently. You'll find some other young 48 year olds with canes.

Peace,
    Rafiki
  3. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

TY for the Bump!

~Cookie~
  4. landra

landra New Member

I am 61 but look younger, have CFS, and use a cane regularly when out of the house. It started due to knee surgery - but now I keep it with me in case of uneven sidewalks, etc. I find people DON'T LOOK! I've had people brush past me on the cane side just like with anyone else. It does help control my overactive large dog who has a tendency to run into my legs!!

No, you are not giving into the DD. The dizzyness is neurological and you can't control or prevent it. Better safe than sorry.

Ironic observation, not about you particularly. There are many threads about how to make people believe us, what to say to "you don't look sick", etc. But we still avoid things like canes, motorized carts in large stores, etc.
  5. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

my balance and the dizziness has gotten worse, so yes, on occasion, I use one and it's a Godsend. I swiped my husband's =) but need to get one of my own. something jazzy. I like the one Hugh Laurie uses on 'House' with the flame job =)
    I'm 54 and am told I don't look it. but I wear wrists braces and an ankle brace daily, and depending on what I am doing, a back brace. I find I am MUCH less self concious then I used to be. and you are not giving in. you are being careful. I'd rather be carrying a cane in public than have a spell of something and fall down!
  6. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I am 61 and look younger I think?? I have been using one for several years. First it was for the dizziness and off-balance problem. Now it is also because of a bad knee that sort of collapses on me once in a while.

I can understand how you feel. My take, though, is I am an outsider when I go places (always by myself) whether I have the cane or not. This illness just does that to us. I am not fighting it anymore. Just it is what it is.
  7. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I am 61 and look younger I think?? I have been using one for several years. First it was for the dizziness and off-balance problem. Now it is also because of a bad knee that sort of collapses on me once in a while.

I can understand how you feel. My take, though, is I am an outsider when I go places (always by myself) whether I have the cane or not. This illness just does that to us. I am not fighting it anymore. Just it is what it is.
  8. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

9. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

10. homesheba

homesheba New Member

is getting worse i noticed lately
    plus
    i can tell my driving is getting' differnt'
    so to speak.
    i hit one of those stupid orange cones in the road last week!!
    and i have never ever done that,
    but anyway i digress...
    i dont think i can use a cane
    cause my hands would hurt too much.